Options

Good Desktop PC Brands

WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
Forum Member
What are good, reliable, brands of desktop computers? Any recommendations?

I'm not after recommendations for individual models, I just want to know what brands tend to be a safe bet.

Comments

• Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had an Emachines PC which lasted me a good 8-10 years. It's on the cheap end of the spectrum though
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dell makes excellent desktops; their laptops aren't the best though.

HP is slightly cheaper but less good IMHO.
  • Options
    Gizmo210688Gizmo210688 Posts: 4,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would also say Dell. Seem to be pretty decent value for money and a few people I know have had very reliable desktop PC's from them.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't seem to be so prevalent now, but I could never fault Medion.
  • Options
    IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    It all depends on what you want to do with it. If it's gaming you're looking at Alienware or something similar. If it's just general net stuff then I've never had a problem with Asus (which usually seem to have AMD Radeon graphics cards on board which are entry level, but can do the job), or Lenovo. If you're planning on watching video on the machine (Youtube, DVD/Bluray, etc) then don't get anything that has an Intel graphics adapter as they're abysmal.

I'd steer away from all-in-one machines (the ones that are basically just a screen with all the bits inside) as they're problematic if a component fails and can't be upgraded apart from maybe a bigger hard drive or more RAM. Quite a few also seem to use low powered processors so it can feel like you've been thrown back 10 years in terms of speed.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Alienware, very expensive, and considered by most as overpriced. I just bought a Lenovo gaming laptop and it's very nice. But as the poster above says "what do you want to do with it", do you need a computer?, when a tablet will do 80% of the things most people do with their computers. Or maybe a Chromebook, my wife has a Toshiba Chromebook and again it's very nice and suits her uses.
  • Options
    MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    Dell makes excellent desktops; their laptops aren't the best though.

HP is slightly cheaper but less good IMHO.
    I would also say Dell. Seem to be pretty decent value for money and a few people I know have had very reliable desktop PC's from them.

I agree that Dell PC's are excellent, but I found their Customer Service to be abysmal. For that reason alone I'd steer clear of them.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found Acer to be quite good and realiable never had any problems with my 5 year old Acer pc, they are reasonably priced too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    I have been buying from Overclockers for a good few years now! Never let me down yet. Good customer service too. Prices are fairly good as well.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had an HP for three years now and still going very strong. My other PCs were notceably slower by the time they reached three years old but this is still holding up very well.

As others have said though, it depends on what you are using it for. The requirements for a gaming PC are very different to those for a work or family PC.
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Generally as long as the components inside are good then the branding of the PC itself doesn't necessarily matter too much.

I've got a Zoostorm machine which I happily use for browsing the web, playing music and playing Football Manager. It's spot on, never had any issues and it was very cheap.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    We've had Packard Bell desktop PC running windows 7 for about five years. Not a single issue.

Not the quickest PC in the world but it does the job and is very reliable.
  • Options
    IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    Alienware, very expensive, and considered by most as overpriced. I just bought a Lenovo gaming laptop and it's very nice.
    I'll admit Alienware are expensive, but they do know their setups. My gaming rig is basically a rip off of one of their specs and I bought the components and built it myself. The only real difference is the fact that it doesn't have a "sexy case" (although the case is made out of steel and weighs a ton) and a load of pointless lights. Lenovo do have some nice machines, but their laptops and all-in-ones are a pain, as I said earlier, because everything is tied together and if something fails then everything fails. You usually can't just replace the part causing the issue, unless it's the RAM or HDD.
    MrMarple wrote: »
    I agree that Dell PC's are excellent, but I found their Customer Service to be abysmal. For that reason alone I'd steer clear of them.
    Have Dell finally stopped using bespoke parts? A few years back I got asked to recondition a Dell machine so it could play games. It was fine until I realised I'd maxed out the power supply, and then discovered that I'd have to pay in the region of £130 for another power supply from Dell. The chassis wouldn't accept the usual "box" power supplies, but only a power supply that had a rounded edge one one side. In the end I had to transplant the machine into another chassis which worked out a lot cheaper. It might be worth checking that they're not using odd parts before buying.
  • Options
    Ann_TennaAnn_Tenna Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    gother wrote: »
    I found Acer to be quite good and realiable never had any problems with my 5 year old Acer pc, they are reasonably priced too.

That's what I am using, and my Acer is about the same age as yours is. Never had a problem with it - knock on wood. :)
  • Options
    HP.80 VictorHP.80 Victor Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Build your own. These days it's as easy as putting Lego together and you'll end up with a system that's more powerful than a pre-built branded one for way less money.