Delhi - 2010

Comments

• SSReportersSSReporters Posts: 9,529
    Forum Member
    david1955 wrote: »
    Obviously the folks in Delhi are like you and don't think the athletics has started yet!

They don't start until the 100m final. :o

I'm in the US but I get the CBC so Canada's coverage has been mostly swimming and cycling. They damn well better show Athletics so I remember it's already started. :D
  • TerryPTerryP Posts: 11,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never agreed with the no false starts rule. I didn't much care for 1 false start, but this is too draconian.

It's pretty poor, I agree.

We can see what the rules are, but this just doesn't seem right and for what? A bronze. :(

Deleted
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never agreed with the no false starts rule. I didn't much care for 1 false start, but this is too draconian.

It's pretty poor, I agree.

We can see what the rules are, but this just doesn't seem right and for what? A bronze. :(

The whole thing of letting her carrying on with the race then stopping her on her way to get her medal is just really poor. I didn't really like Endacott's attitude in her interview, especially since she had disrupted the start in both her semi and final. Also, the starters need to tell the crowd to STFU.
  • LittleMinx25LittleMinx25 Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if they have the same reaction time they should both be disqualified .... none of this "but her moving made me move" stuff!!!
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw the press conference earlier.
    Apparently it's the Condoms that are blocking the toilets.

Blokey from the Committee said it was commendable that the Athletes were keeping themselves safe.

Plenty of Delhi Belly going around but at least no STDs. :D
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    The whole thing of letting her carrying on with the race then stopping her on her way to get her medal is just really poor. I didn't really like Endacott's attitude in her interview, especially since she had disrupted the start in both her semi and final. Also, the starters need to tell the crowd to STFU.

You can't tell the crowd to STFU considering there are multiple events happening at the same time and people have made enough complaints about the lack of crowds and atmosphere, can't have it both ways.

False starts are just part of the sport, how they deal with them is another matter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't tell the crowd to STFU considering there are multiple events happening at the same time and people have made enough complaints about the lack of crowds and atmosphere, can't have it both ways.

False starts are just part of the sport, how they deal with them is another matter.

Well I was in Berlin at the World Champs last year and there was a 'Shhhh' noise played at the start of a race. The stadium was packed there with many Germans competing and there wasn't a problem. It's common courtesy by athletics spectators to be quiet at the start of a sprint. If the crowd aren't aware of this they should make an announcement.
    Forum Member
    Tiger Rose wrote: »

Every cloud and all that :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if they have the same reaction time they should both be disqualified .... none of this "but her moving made me move" stuff!!!

That's true. Though in this case that arguement would hold no water either. Their was only one hundreth in the reaction time, so even if they were next to each other, I don't think one of them could argue the other set them off.

They both went before the gun and therefore both needed to be DQ'd, though the whole handling of it was pretty shoddy and it must have been terrible for Sally. But she went before the gun and thats the bottom line really.
  • CoronisCoronis Posts: 24,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the whole thing was a mess, they shouldn't have been allowed to race, both should have been immediately DSQ. Running under protest is silly and to let it get to the medal stage, then tell her no was a shame. As for Endacott she didn't give a hoot, a medal is a medal. :D

As for the toilets, if the athletes didn't stuff them with used condoms maybe they'd flush....:p Yuk. The locals aren't bovvered, I don't think they should get the Olympics. I'd LOVE to be there, watching the gymnastics in particular.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here are the gold medals up for grabs on Day 5:

Aquatics - Swimming

Men's 100m Butterfly
    Women's 50m Freestyle
    Men's 50m Breastroke
    Women's 200m Backstroke
    Women's 100m Breaststroke
    Men's 100m Backstroke
    Women's 400m Freestyle
    Men's Para 100m Freestyle S8
    Women's 50m Backstroke
    Men's 200m Individual Medley
    Women's 4x100m Freestyle

Archery

Women's Recurve Team
    Men's Recurve Team

Athletics

Women's 1500m T54
    Men's 110m Hurdles
    Women's Triple Jump
    Women's 400m
    Women's 1500m
    Men's Hammer Throw
    Decathlon
    Women's 10,00m

Badminton

Team Event

Cycling

Women's 300m Individual Pursuit
    Men's Team Sprint
    Men's 20km Scratch Race

Gymnastics

Men's Vault
    Women's Balance Beam
    Men's Parallel Bars
    Women's Floor
    Men's Horizontal Bar

Shooting Clay

Men's Trap Pairs
    Women's Trap Pairs

Shooting

Men's 50m Rifle 3 Position Pair
    Men's 25m Rapid Fire Pistol
    Men's 10m Air Pistol

Squash

Women's Single
    Men's Single

Table Tennis

Women's Team Event

Tennis

Mixed Doubles

Weightlifting

Women's 69kg
    Men's 85kg

Wrestling

Women's 51kg/59kg/67kg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coronis wrote: »
    Well the whole thing was a mess, they shouldn't have been allowed to race, both should have been immediately DSQ. Running under protest is silly and to let it get to the medal stage, then tell her no was a shame. As for Endacott she didn't give a hoot, a medal is a medal. :D

As for the toilets, if the athletes didn't stuff them with used condoms maybe they'd flush....:p Yuk. The locals aren't bovvered, I don't think they should get the Olympics. I'd LOVE to be there, watching the gymnastics in particular.

I'm not sure if Laura was racing under protest. I noticed over on the BBC website that apparently she was disqualified but the starter just let her race anyway. I think it was in the little twitter boxes they have along the side. This was from one of the BBC guys who spoke to the starter.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching late afternoon/evening yesterday I have to say that the stadium did look dreadful. The track is was covered in dust and there were swarms of huge moths. The new turf which has been laid was already showing signs that it is dying in some areas, and as it has had no time to root and become established.

Well, the point about turf in an athletics track is that it is not used for anything except having great muckle heavy weights flung onto it so it is really just there to look better on TV than a sandpit would.
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    Tiger Rose wrote: »

They shouldn't be allowed to swim with an upset stomach.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    ForestChav wrote: »

That's what I thought too tbh... especially the longer distance races. The whole point of "Delhi belly" is you're never far from the need to... uhh... "evacuate".
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope no-one has got any money on Papua New Guinea taking gold in the women's netball. They have got a bit of work to do to qualify.

Group B Match 2 - Preliminary:
    New Zealand 102-21 Papua New Guinea
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the point about turf in an athletics track is that it is not used for anything except having great muckle heavy weights flung onto it so it is really just there to look better on TV than a sandpit would.
    I'd have thought so too, but I'm such a nerd I looked it up and there's more to it apparently:
    The scope of the central grassed area construction and associated works in both phases included -
    Phase 1 – Infield Area

* Installation of pipe drainage systems.
    * Supply and spread drainage layer comprising clean aggregate.
    * Supply and spread of approved rootzone materials.
    * Installation of irrigation system including storage tank, pumps and controller.
    * Consolidation and preparation of rootzone for sowing.
    * Sow approved grass seeds mixture.
    * Initial maintenance up until and during (the Manchester) Commonwealth Games.
    STRI ~ Manchester Stadium
    Forum Member
    ForestChav wrote: »

Well it's down to the athletes to decide how bad it is.
    Considering some are still winning medals with stomach problems, they're not that bad or they're very determined.

It's usually a lot worse when you're not moving and all the muscles are hard at work, it's when you're relaxed that problems occur.
    Forum Member
    bean999 wrote: »
    I'd have thought so too, but I'm such a nerd I looked it up and there's more to it apparently:
    The scope of the central grassed area construction and associated works in both phases included -
    Phase 1 – Infield Area

* Installation of pipe drainage systems.
    * Supply and spread drainage layer comprising clean aggregate.
    * Supply and spread of approved rootzone materials.
    * Installation of irrigation system including storage tank, pumps and controller.
    * Consolidation and preparation of rootzone for sowing.
    * Sow approved grass seeds mixture.
    * Initial maintenance up until and during (the Manchester) Commonwealth Games.
    STRI ~ Manchester Stadium

Do you actually understand what you've pasted there.
    Apart from the first 2 items, that's all about the prep work required before laying the grass and keeping it healthy in the long term.
    That's not about the actual point of having the grass there at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    As soon as I switch on, England are 2-1 down in the hockey to New Zealand with Barry Davies saying England are right back in it, an England player is yellow carded and two minutes later it's 4-1.

I think a previous poster mentioned this , but people have been trying to get tickets to events only to find they haven't been printed yet!

Very unlucky for that Australian to be disqualified in the 100m, not so much the DQ , but why make here wait so long before a decision was made.

And now the officials are thinking of going on strike because there is no transport to get them back from events. Some of them had to wait till 2am to get back to their hotels only to have get up again at 6am!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just seen the news & one of the swimmers was so poorly she had to be helped away from the pool :eek:

this is shambolic:eek:

I looked that up and apparently it was Blair Evans? but she had cramp rather than Delhi belly.
    Well it's down to the athletes to decide how bad it is.
    Considering some are still winning medals with stomach problems, they're not that bad or they're very determined.

It's usually a lot worse when you're not moving and all the muscles are hard at work, it's when you're relaxed that problems occur.

I wonder if it's anything like throwing up after a hard set due to lactic acid build up (never had Delhi belly!)
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark comes across as really unlikeable to me for some reasom

I don't agree.

He came over really well, especially in the situation.

As Michael Johnson said to have your blocks move like that is a disaster for a sprinter.

He would certainly have beaten the gold medal winner otherwise.
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    I don't agree.

He came over really well, especially in the situation.

As Michael Johnson said to have your blocks move like that is a disaster for a sprinter.

He would certainly have beaten the gold medal winner otherwise.

He also said that it is completely the sprinters fault for not checking the blocks properly
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That medal ceremony was a bit of a farce:confused:
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was the women's hammer really won by someone with the first name "Sultana"?

Who names their kid Sultana?

Did they have experience 'raisin' other kids?

Tuk tuk please...............