essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,210
Forum Member
and still as popular as ever probably

Comments

• Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect nothing like as popular - people were already beginning to realise she was a real person and not just a walking halo.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's as popular as she ever was with me. I used to think of her an overrated bint and I still do. I suppose my opinion did change slightly after Paris. I decided she was also stupid for not wearing a seat belt.
  • Options
    Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    essexpete wrote: »

The constant references to her in certain newsapers and the inability to let her rest in peace means that the vast majority of the public are very sick of the poor woman, through no fault of her own.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diana should be thanked for showing us exactly what the Royal Family are like.
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The press would have been merciless in slagging her appearance and 'signs of age' just as they were when she allegedly had cellulite in her thirties..........:eek:
    The 'artist's impression' pictures that rags such as The Express have published this week continue their fine tradition of misogyny.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/254906/Princess-Diana-at-50
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was copping off with princes and marrying em about the time I was working hard at university - so I sort of 'grew up with her' but also thought she was an airhead/upper class twit.

It was only after she separated from the hubby I saw her worth at all. Used to hate the way the press called her 'fat' if she was basically normal woman shaped. She reminds me of that one they married the Prince Regent off to, who was then barred from the coronation. Not the first of her kind. As a lifelong republican I think she did us all a favour and exposed the whole thing for what it is. Ended up rather liking her.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    essexpete wrote: »

Not with anyone I know.
  • Options
    Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she'd have struggled to accept getting and looking older and no longer being the centre of attention. I think she'd have found the current attention focused on Kate Middleton very difficult to cope with.

She also had a history of causing trouble for women who usurped her in her sons' affections. If she'd been alive it's debateable that Kate and William would even have reached the stage of tying the knot if she'd stuck her big oar in.
  • Options
    MrIncredibleMrIncredible Posts: 5,034
    Forum Member
    The papers would have turned on her by now I'd imagine, and all of the bitter housewives would have followed them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The 'what if' list is endless........ Would Charles have remarried? Would Diana have had more children? Would Cheryl Cole have left US X Factor?:confused: So many questions.........:o:(
  • Options
    a_c_g_ta_c_g_t Posts: 1,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What could have been, is never the same as what would have been.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect she'd have made at least one major faux pas by now of the Fergie variety, and would probably be thought of in much the same way and get the same treatment as Fergie gets from the press. Anyone who can't back away from life as a member of the royal family with some dignity (which Diana certainly showed no sign of doing) is likely to end up going down that route at some stage.
  • Options
    RetrospectiveRetrospective Posts: 3,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still like Diana and haven't forgotten her or ever will. If she were here today she would be very proud of her two sons and she would have loved Kate.
    Happy Birthday Diana! VIP
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I still like Diana and haven't forgotten her or ever will. If she were here today she would be very proud of her two sons and she would have loved Kate.

I think that is very unlikely.
  • Options
    crossbonescrossbones Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she would have had a 10 year old kid by now called Prince Ahmed
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Indeed. By all accounts it's Charles who likes to throw all his toys out of his pram if he doesn't get enough attention. Also, one thing not in doubt is that Diana adored her two boys and so I really couldn't see her having a problem with Kate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think that is very unlikely.

Really? I always thought Kate was very similar to her.
  • Options
    crossbonescrossbones Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »

she may be. we've yet to see how good she is at rolling down a flight of stairs
  • Options
    Forum Member

I think Kate has her head screwed on a bit more. I get the impression Diana was quite insecure and jealous, although of course that is just speculation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think Kate has her head screwed on a bit more. I get the impression Diana was quite insecure and jealous, although of course that is just speculation.

But I definitely think that if Kate was to divorce William she'd stand up for herself in the same way. I accept she probably wouldn't kiss and tell like Diana sometimes did but i think they were both quite strongly feminist and independent, so I think Kate and Diana would have got along like a house on fire. :)
  • Options
    MattyHustedMattyHusted Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    and...
  • Options
    a_c_g_ta_c_g_t Posts: 1,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It just goes to show.

"There's nothing better leaving the stage with people wanting more"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    'The people's Princess' would have had zillions of followers on Twitter.;):rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But I definitely think that if Kate was to divorce William she'd stand up for herself in the same way. I accept she probably wouldn't kiss and tell like Diana sometimes did but i think they were both quite strongly feminist and independent, so I think Kate and Diana would have got along like a house on fire. :)

I think Kate would be a bit more dignified than Diana was (not that I'm particularly condemning Diana's actions here, I'd probably have done the same.)

And I suspect she might have perceived Kate as "taking" William away from her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think Kate would be a bit more dignified than Diana was (not that I'm particularly condemning Diana's actions here, I'd probably have done the same.)

And I suspect she might have perceived Kate as "taking" William away from her.

I just think William and Kate are a perfect example of a boy "marrying his mother". I hate how OTT a lot of the comparisons are but I can't deny that Kate and Diana seem similar. But I never thought about it that way, I have no idea how protective she was of the boys so it's hard to say, but for all her many imperfections she never really appeared to be someone who could be actively spiteful.