Primeval; New World **Season One** (Canada Pace)

Comments

• Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Honestly, I can't see this show lasting much longer. If we get a season #2 out of it, I'll be amazed. Thought this latest episode was quite poor and I'm finding it hard accepting the new cast.

Still can't work out why various governments aren't working together with this. Who was working on all the anomalies before this team showed up? If the UK team has the technology to close up these portals, why not share and save lives?

Too many inconsistencies, can't see myself sticking with this. :(
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll stick with it up to the point that we find out his wife wasn't actually eaten by a dinosaur, rather she was taken back through an anomaly and is still out there somewhere (with a secret agenda)
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    Still can't work out why various governments aren't working together with this. Who was working on all the anomalies before this team showed up? If the UK team has the technology to close up these portals, why not share and save lives?

Too many inconsistencies, can't see myself sticking with this. :(

Most likely theory is that no one was. This is a new Timeline where no one was dealing with the Anomalies before Evan started up.

Connor (and whoever died saving Evan 5 years ago) are probably leftovers from the previous Timeline (like Cutter was in Series 2).

The Title of the show then has a double meaning, it's set in the New World (America) but is also set in a New World (new Timeline).
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Most likely theory is that no one was. This is a new Timeline where no one was dealing with the Anomalies before Evan started up.
    Connor (and whoever died saving Evan 5 years ago) are probably leftovers from the previous Timeline (like Cutter was in Series 2).
    The Title of the show then has a double meaning, it's set in the New World (America) but is also set in a New World (new Timeline).

I was going to say exactly the same thing, though using much poorerer English. :o

(btw: Canada not America :D - iiuc it's a bit like saying Japanese when you mean Chinese. )

Maybe it would have helped all the 'old' Primeval fans if the PNW people had told us how the two series are related/connected. - though I'm kinda thinking they'll cover this within the show in a forthcoming ep. :)

(like when Nikita (with MaggieQ) came out I spent a good while trying to work out if it was a sequel to the LaFemme Nikita series - it is not btw, it is a direct sequel to the film, but I'ma getting off topic.)
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    zwixxx wrote: »
    Maybe it would have helped all the 'old' Primeval fans if the PNW people had told us how the two series are related/connected. - though I'm kinda thinking they'll cover this within the show in a forthcoming ep. :)

This, exactly. They seemed to make an actual point of Connor's ambiguity in the opening episode, which would make sense really. I feel like there will be more of an explanation towards that on the way, and it'll certainly be nice to be given a clean slate for this show - the British one was great but got so caught up in continuity and timelines at one point.

Who knows, maybe we're back in Claudia Brown's reality? ;):D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (btw: Canada not America :D - iiuc it's a bit like saying Japanese when you mean Chinese. )

By America I actually meant the whole double continent, probably should have said The Americas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok episode with an interesting twist at the end.

I seem to recall those Birds (or some very similar)were in a UK episode weren't they?

Though I doubt the UK show would ever have had the team getting high.
  • ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,236
    Forum Member
    Ok episode with an interesting twist at the end.

A big improvement on last week's, I very nearly gave up on the series after that one.
    I seem to recall those Birds (or some very similar)were in a UK episode weren't they?

Yes, twice: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_creatures_in_Primeval#Phorusrhacid
    Though I doubt the UK show would ever have had the team getting high.

Or indeed calling people "pricks" and showing mutilated body parts but then it was an early evening network show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Can I just say for all those having a go for it not being a great first few episodes well give it a chance cause everybody is thinking it's gonna be like the UK show but if everyone remembers the original first few episodes were very similar as the show and the characters are just finding their feet and also apparently if you look on the new world original trailers you'll see more Connor scenes so the questions may be answered.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now THAT was a surprise
    Forum Member
    Firstly, how do we know that this is a new timeline? I was always under the impression this was the same timeline, though merely in a different country. Where has it ever been stated that the timelines are different?

Besides the fact, Evan first lost his wife to a Dinosaur about a year before this team. Surely monsters would have been coming through these anomalies well before Evan found them, and after yet there was no Dinos running around the street. It's unlikely to think that all the creatures that came through went back via instinct.

It would make more sense if, somewhere down the line, a team, group or organisation came to light who had been dealing with the anomaly issue and watching over Evan and his team from afar. Until that point, continuity sucks.
    But which Connor was that?
    Maybe it would have helped all the 'old' Primeval fans if the PNW people had told us how the two series are related/connected. - though I'm kinda thinking they'll cover this within the show in a forthcoming ep.
    Again, how do you know this?
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Now THAT was a surprise
    That was. I didn't think they'd kill off that character so soon, though it was done well. This has to be one of the better episodes in the season thus far, though (excluding the deaths) there is still room for improvement.

The problem is, the show (as the English one did) needs to move away from simply "okay, there's an anomaly, we need to contain it and send the creatures back". That's going to get very stale, very quick. They need the timeline twists or something, or more creatures from the future (we've not had none of them yet, though granted, it's only been a few episodes).

I'm willing to bet too (slightly different from what someone has mentioned above) that at some point, Evan and the entire / part of his team are going to travel through an anomaly, change / do / kill something so that when they come back, Evans wife/girlfriend will be there waiting for them like nothing had happened.

That'll be once Evan is involved with one of the other female cast too, just to complicate matters. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Again, how do you know this?

You seem to have missed the word Theory from my original post.

The very fact that no one else (apart from Connor) in the world seems to know about Anomalies when in the original series thousands of them opened up around the world all at the same time suggests this is a new Timeline where that did not happen.
    Besides the fact, Evan first lost his wife to a Dinosaur about a year before this team. Surely monsters would have been coming through these anomalies well before Evan found them, and after yet there was no Dinos running around the street. It's unlikely to think that all the creatures that came through went back via instinct.

It was 5 years ago that his wife was killed. As to it happening since this scenario is pretty much what happened in the original series.

Helen Cutter went through an anomaly years before the series started yet there were no major anomaly incidents between then and Cutter forming his team.
    Forum Member
    You seem to have missed the word Theory from my original post.
    You're right, my apologies.
    The very fact that no one else (apart from Connor) in the world seems to know about Anomalies when in the original series thousands of them opened up around the world all at the same time suggests this is a new Timeline where that did not happen.
    A plausible theory. Granted.
    It was 5 years ago that his wife was killed. As to it happening since this scenario is pretty much what happened in the original series.

Helen Cutter went through an anomaly years before the series started yet there were no major anomaly incidents between then and Cutter forming his team.
    So they're pretty much repeating the UK series with a few storyline changes?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ntscuser wrote: »
    Bad news - "Terror Birds" were veggies because they cut their toenails. :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly, how do we know that this is a new timeline?
    Given that in Primeval anomalies increased in time leading to the Convergence it does seem likely that it is a different timeline slightly behind (in terms of anomalies) either the original or revised timeline in Primeval. In this timeline it's clear that Canada is a major power given the ease at which a minor member of the armed forces can easily "get things done".
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    In this timeline it's clear that Canada is a major power given the ease at which a minor member of the armed forces can easily "get things done".
    That's not necessarily true. We don't know much about this armed forces guy, there may yet be a hell lot more to him. He might work for a very large organisation. I don't think Canadas power is going to be a factor here; every country all over the world has a military (well, most, if not all).

When I first read about this show, I thought it was a mere extension of the British version. It stands to reason that there would be different teams working globally in conjunction with each other to keep these anomalies in check. I doubt very much they're unique to England and Canada.

Think that would have made for a better show. Same timeline, same anomalies, different country.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [snip]Think that would have made for a better show. Same timeline, same anomalies, different country.

one of the problems with that would be: what would happen in the Canadian show when something the UK people did in a UK ep changed the past ?

iiuc in the UK show the anomolies initially just started cropping up around the UK, only in later seasons did they go global. I can fully buy into the UK team doing something that altered the past such that in the new timeline the anomolies now started cropping up in Canada only, not the UK - and thus we have Primeval New World.

btw: having a Walking Dead franchise, in England and other countries - now THAT coulda been awesome.
    Forum Member
    one of the problems with that would be: what would happen in the Canadian show when something the UK people did in a UK ep changed the past ?
    I hate time travel. :p
    iiuc in the UK show the anomolies initially just started cropping up around the UK, only in later seasons did they go global. I can fully buy into the UK team doing something that altered the past such that in the new timeline the anomolies now started cropping up in Canada only, not the UK - and thus we have Primeval New World.
    As above.

The only show that has ever working with time travel successfully was Doctor Who. Everything else, it all becomes too screwed up and nobody can make heads or tails by it.
    having a Walking Dead franchise, in England and other countries - now THAT coulda been awesome.
    We've already had that with a Big Brother Parody. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate time travel. :p
    I still waiting for a series or a movie involving time travel that shows us people in labs going thru a series of tests of their time travel machines, centering on the consequences of time travel - all this killing your grandfather paradox business could be cleared up with a bunch of related cockroaches (they breed like bunnies, right ?! - hey they could even use bunnies :D)

I agree, time travel is most often handled badly, but I don't think it HAS to be that way, and if the makers would only spend a little time working out the details, then the resulting stories would improve dramatically.
    Forum Member
    I agree, time travel is most often handled badly, but I don't think it HAS to be that way, and if the makers would only spend a little time working out the details, then the resulting stories would improve dramatically.
    The problem is, everything revolving around time travel is a bunch of theories. Nobody is ever going to know the truth (if it is possible at all).

Thus, even if a film was made, it would still be speculation. Sure they could explain the theories a little more, and the results of screwing up time, but it's still a bunch of guesses.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody is ever going to know the truth (if it is possible at all).
    Indeed - if the past and hence the present is changed how will anyone know about it as they will have changed also. I could have started typing this as an 8 foot tall green lizard but someone altered the past to make me into a 3 foot tall purple giraffe but all I'd know is that I was always a 3 foot tall purple giraffe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...it's still a bunch of guesses.

Guesses yes, but I'm convinced a story dealing with paradox-free time-travel IS there for the writing.

It's like trying to figure out the Penn and Tellars bullet catch trick. Give that task to a number of people and you'll get back a number of different theories. Many of which can be disguarded as containing easiliy point-to-able flaws. What you'll be left with are a couple of sound ways the trick could be down. Of course they would most likely be wrong, but wrong in that "this ain't how P+T did it" rather than wrong as in "this just wouldn't work". So.... paradox-free time-travel stories would be speculative, yes, but I believe definately possible (though methinks the rule book would be very big :D - like unable to travel back past a certain time AND only to specific places, such as specially designed receiving rooms. OR only able to travel back super great distances - an island in the path of that dinosaur killing asteroid would be perfect.

Of course, traveling back in time ain't the mind-freak of a problem, it's the return journey that is the big conundrum - even if you were able to travel back and have ABSOUTELY ZERO impact on the world (no interaction at all, nadda, zippo) when you returned would the world be 100% the same.

If it IS then, well then that has just proved destiny. :eek:

If not then why bother "travelling back to 1920 and kill Hitler", just go back a few hundred years and most likely when the 1900s come round again, with all the billions of variables in play, he more than likely wouldn't have been born.
  • Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    Paradox free time travel would be an extremely easy concept though, you would just have it that when you go back in time what you change will just create an alternate universe where those changes and everything there after is effected take place, when you come back to your own time, the method you used to travel back keeps you tethered to your own origonal universe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *marv* wrote: »
    Paradox free time travel would be an extremely easy concept though, you would just have it that when you go back in time what you change will just create an alternate universe where those changes and everything there after is effected take place, when you come back to your own time, the method you used to travel back keeps you tethered to your own origonal universe.

^So you, and a group of your buddies could go back, armed to the teeth with uzis and the like, go wild, then return home where, since everything is unaffected, there is no evidence of your actions.

(not that I'm saying you'd want to do this of course! :D)

You could also do a whole bunch of medical testing too.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Am still enjoying the series...I think the episodes are steadily improving with 'Angry Birds' being my favourite to date - it felt very "X Files" with the Canadian backdrops and such. :D

I was shocked at how much Mac's girlfriends death shocked me in the most recent episode. It reminded me of how Primeval can kill off characters big and small most effectively. I think it also highlights what I'm enjoying about this series - it's Primeval without boggled down continuity again :D I found Series 3-5 of Primeval were tied down with characters that couldn't really go anywhere thanks to the way the plot had unfolded. It's nice to take thinks back to basics in regards to the characters.

In terms of the timeline talk, I'm hoping we're back in the universe we saw in Primeval: Series 1, which is presumably our world. It'd be most interesting to take the show in a direction it didn't take before, keeping the sci-fi in the background rather than taking the foreground as it did. :)