Bruce Forsyth a UK Legend.Please show some respect

Comments

• TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, sadly I don't, but I do remember that smarmy Terry Wiggon, in the ever-present green velvet jacket, whose job it was to describe the dresses!

There is no way sir terry is smarmy, he is another living legend just like sir bruce.
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cressida wrote: »
    Toothless critics do go unnoticed.
    That is down to the BBCs response to complaints about Bruce rather than the complainers.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerryM22 wrote: »
    There is no way sir terry is smarmy, he is another living legend just like sir bruce.

That's your opinion.
    Terry Wogan is the "living legend" who admitted he'd accepted payments from the BBC reported to run into a total well into six figures for presenting the Children in Need programme for a couple of decades. All the time he was telling viewers those appearing on it were doing it for nothing and "guilting" the public for donations.

To be fair, he did once donate something to be auctioned off for CIN (one of his old ties).
    When confronted about the payments (the information had to be dragged out of the BBC under the FOIA) he was reported to have said; "I didn't ask them to pay me."
    Now that's "smarmy"...and greedy... and having no honour.
  • Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brucie career isn’t over, it continues as SCD’s iconic presenter and man of the moment so nothing has altered.

One definition of an icon is that it is an object of uncritical devotion

That seems to sum up the BF worshippers exactly!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brucie has been SCD’s presenter from the get go. Nothing has changed and nothing will change until Brucie retires or leaves so what you, I or anyone thinks doesn‘t change anything. He’s still there or to be more specific due to be there and as you‘ve been dealing with it for years there'll be no difference now. It’s you extolling the virtues of FF and regardless of ball shapes I'm not confused about anything when I'm happy to watch SCD with Brucie hosting.

The Great British Public are happy with Bruce too
  • KorkyTheCatKorkyTheCat Posts: 24,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dictionary definition of 'legend' ~ "A person whose fame or notoriety makes him a source of exaggerated or romanticized tales or exploits."

Someone who successfully manages to breathe in and out for 90-odd years is not per se a legend; he is merely an old man.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dictionary definition of 'legend' ~ "A person whose fame or notoriety makes him a source of exaggerated or romanticized tales or exploits."

Someone who successfully manages to breathe in and out for 90-odd years is not per se a legend; he is merely an old man.

Not only is our Sir Bruce a world wide legendary entertainer, we must not forget that he is one of our most loved and respected national treasures, as has been proved by the love and affection shown towards him by festival goers at Glastonberry recently.
  • CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One definition of an icon is that it is an object of uncritical devotion

That seems to sum up the BF worshippers exactly!

Tennis and cricket balls are the same shape and a similar size but you wouldn’t find tennis players using a cricket ball although a tennis ball can be used to play cricket. An icon can be a religious painting on a small wooden panel venerated in the Eastern Church too but ‘one who is an important and enduring symbol and the object of great attention’ just saves me time typing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A legend is someone whose fame promises to be enduring so using your own analogy that would make Brucie more a living legend.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A legend is someone whose fame promises to be enduring so using your own analogy that would make Brucie more a living legend.

You are quite right Cressida, Sir Bruce is indeed a much loved living legend.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tennis and cricket balls are the same shape and a similar size but you wouldn’t find tennis players using a cricket ball although a tennis ball can be used to play cricket. An icon can be a religious painting on a small wooden panel venerated in the Eastern Church too but ‘one who is an important and enduring symbol and the object of great attention’ just saves me time typing.

This is an iconic message, and its a pleasure to have read these words of wisdom, several times, on a Sir Bruce thread, thank you.
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Icons that are worshipped are frequently old and crumbling round the edges. Many are hidden away to save them from deteriorating further. Need I say more?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hmm..
    Someone who's been doing the same act for six decades, is less of a legend and more of just a hack entertainer. Who inevitably, by continuing, is destroying his reputation as a one time entertainer amongst many just as good or better.

But dream on, if you must.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    Icons that are worshipped are frequently old and crumbling round the edges. Many are hidden away to save them from deteriorating further. Need I say more?

:D That has to be the perfect definition!

If I may also add that genuine 'legends' and 'icons' are not so sneeringly dismissive of 'ordinary folk' either. Remember his self-centred egocentric comment about plumbers.

Just an arrogant old fool living on past and faded glories.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Brucie’s not getting any younger as he himself admits. He gets out and about enjoying life and loves working. He has an aptitude for radiating happiness to audiences and not having lost that gloss he’s neither crumbling nor hidden away.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm..
    Someone who's been doing the same act for six decades, is less of a legend and more of just a hack entertainer. Who inevitably, by continuing, is destroying his reputation as a one time entertainer amongst many just as good or better.

But dream on, if you must.

Brucie is the one to be concerned about his own reputation and he’s carried the same one from decade to decade; wholesome family entertainer. He’s been SCD’s entertainment maestro for years and been acknowledged as the life and soul of the party so he need have no qualms.

It’s those castigating him who appear to have all the nightmares about his entertainment abilities.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brucie is the one to be concerned about his own reputation and he’s carried the same one from decade to decade; wholesome family entertainer. He’s been SCD’s entertainment maestro for years and been acknowledged as the life and soul of the party so he need have no qualms.

It’s those castigating him who appear to have all the nightmares about his entertainment abilities.

He's recently brought a new quality to his most recent SCD performances, "irascibility."
    It would certainly have given the BBC nightmares, but they're stuck with him.
    His critics, of course, can only be amused, so nothing to lose any sleep over.

You've obviously not been watching the show.
    But as I said, dream on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's recently brought a new quality to his most recent SCD performances, "irascibility."
    It would certainly have given the BBC nightmares, but they're stuck with him.
    His critics, of course, can only be amused, so nothing to lose any sleep over.

You've obviously not been watching the show.
    But as I said, dream on.

Fail to understand, but it is your theory, how the BBC are ‘stuck’ with anyone they give contracts to when they decide who receives them.

Evaluation by anyone choosing to use FF apart from it preventing someone from seeing the whole picture only appears to encourage bumptious theories to be displayed together with equal amounts of patronising.

Probably why the master of light entertainment Brucie continues to provide amusement and clarifies just why any choice is left to the professionals.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...Probably why the master of light entertainment Brucie continues to provide amusement and clarifies just why any choice is left to the professionals.

What an earth are you talking about here?

Any choice of 'entertainer' should surely have, as the first, indeed, the only priority, the interests of the audience in mind.

Is there any evidence that the egocentric Bruce really is as universally popular as some posters on here proclaim from the highest on a regular basis.

Agreed that he was, at one time, a competent game show host and a competent light entertainer, but sadly, he, like all of us in the end, is deteriorating with age and is neither as funny, as entertaining, or even as amusing as he once was.
    Forum Member
    It takes integrity to admit when it's time to quit. Mr Forsyth has admitted he's finding it harder and can't do the whole series. If he cant do the whole job, which he admits he can't, it's time to quit. He has no integrity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fail to understand, but it is your theory, how the BBC are ‘stuck’ with anyone they give contracts to when they decide who receives them.

Evaluation by anyone choosing to use FF apart from it preventing someone from seeing the whole picture only appears to encourage bumptious theories to be displayed together with equal amounts of patronising.

Probably why the master of light entertainment Brucie continues to provide amusement and clarifies just why any choice is left to the professionals.

Hmm..
    Quite a vivid dream then, eh?
    Forum Member
    And the professionals chose to air 'Don't Scare the Hare'. I rest my case.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It takes integrity to admit when it's time to quit. Mr Forsyth has admitted he's finding it harder and can't do the whole series. If he cant do the whole job, which he admits he can't, it's time to quit. He has no integrity.

Well said!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm..
    Quite a vivid dream then, eh?

Lovely weather, sunny weekend and now back to this repetitive drivel

I'll admit the profound meaning of this oft repeated 'dream' scenario is totally yours I've no idea what you mean but you may be pleased to know the attempts at browbeating now they do filter through. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the professionals chose to air 'Don't Scare the Hare'. I rest my case.

I've never heard of it, sounds hairy. Fingers crossed Brucie didn’t host it.