Who remembers RI:SE?

Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
Forum Member
Just converting some old VHS tapes to DVD and I found the last ever show broadcast on 19th Dec 2003 on CH4. I used to really enjoy it and would prefer it to BBC and ITV. I liked the banter between Ian Lee and Kate Lawler, why cant CH4 bring something back like this again? would it work?

Comments

• FlickJFlickJ Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    Funk You wrote: »
    Just converting some old VHS tapes to DVD and I found the last ever show broadcast on 19th Dec 2003 on CH4. I used to really enjoy it and would prefer it to BBC and ITV. I liked the banter between Ian Lee and Kate Lawler, why cant CH4 bring something back like this again? would it work?

I remember RI:SE vaguely - was it the follow on from The Big Breakfast ? It was OK but my all time fav breakfast show was The Big Breakfast in the days of Johnny and Denise (also when it first started with Gaby Roslin and Chris Evans). In the UK we are def missing an "entertainment" breakfast show - BBC Breakfast is news focused and Daybreak is awful and dying a long drawn out death. I think it will be re-branded in the not too distant future but probably wont be much better. C4 or 5 would be a better platform for the entertainment based breakfast show IMO.
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,155
    Forum Member

I thought it was alright. Ian Lee was funny, and Kate certainly was easy on the eye, but it wasn't a patch on it's predecessor the Big Breakfast. Given the cultural and innovative vaccum currently resident at Horseferry Road, I wouldn't get you hopes up for anything to replace the continous loop of Raymond and According to Derp.
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    I thought it was alright. Ian Lee was funny, and Kate certainly was easy on the eye, but it wasn't a patch on it's predecessor the Big Breakfast. Given the cultural and innovative vaccum currently resident at Horseferry Road, I wouldn't get you hopes up for anything to replace the continous loop of Raymond and According to Derp.

Big Breakfast finished when I was about 15 and back then I didnt really watch telly in the morning, used to put on the radio. When I got bored of the radio I put on CH4 and RI:SE was on and I think it was the first episode of that run in 2003? I loved it! loads of banter and they made the news fun. I really think CH4 could bring back something like this, what is on now? Im never up that early to watch.
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best part of that show was Kate Lawler's legs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It started with Mark Durdan-Smith as main host with the likes of Colin Murray as one of a few side-kicks mainly sitting at a desk if I remember correctly. It didn't do very well and evolved into the more relaxed Iain Lee/Kate Lawler show. Kate was absolutely useless and never failed to display her complete ignorance and unpleasantness. One of my favourites was when they were talking about someone's looks and Kate said 'Mo Mowlem, now she's ugly'. Mo was going through cancer treatment at the time and Iain's face was priceless at her lack of tact and her ignorance. Another time was Steve Jones first day when he turned up late and hungover. He didn't last long.
  • KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    warszawa wrote: »
    The best part of that show was Kate Lawler's legs.

This!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terrible, they should have called it SH:TE !

Always liked the Big Breakfast with Johnny Vaughan though.
  • MindbearMindbear Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was famously terrible wasn't it? I watched it once and it was an awkward abomination. I liked Rob Brydon in Annually Retentive referring to Kate as 'thick as pigshit'.
  • HavingALaughHavingALaugh Posts: 442
    Forum Member
    Me, I used to watch before going to school
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    It was dire. I remember watching the launch show and thinking that it wouldn't last two weeks, let alone a year. How wrong I was, it ended for a good 18 months. *rolleyes*

Zora Suleman, well she put a whole nother definition to RI:SE. :p
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    I quite liked the first RI:SE- it was like a grown-up Big Breakfast (unlike the second RI:SE, which was like The Big Breakfast's annoying younger brother who tries to be cool by emulating his older sibling and fails miserably) although it suffered for being effectively a two-hour long show modelled on rolling news- which usually only has an hour of content on a loop.

The second version's saving grace was Mel and Sue in the last half hour- less features-driven and 'guesty', but funnier and more confident. I can't help but think the show would have lasted if they'd had the main presenter roles.

Anyone remember Morning Glory, with Dermot O'Leary, btw? Now that was bad.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Not as good as The Big Breakfast IMO. Johnny Vaughan was often funny on TBB :D
  • danyelldanyell Posts: 10,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I do. It replaced big breakfast, but didn't do too well and got axed quite quickly.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,405
    Forum Member
    Sm:ug

I wanted to know what drugs the heads of Channel 4 were on when they decided this load of cack should replace The Big Breakfast .... and where we can get some !!!
  • icefallicefall Posts: 7,709
    Forum Member
    I loved RI:SE and was disppointed when it finished
  • extraextraextraextra Posts: 321
    Forum Member

Please could you upload to YouTube and share the link? Deffo think there's room in the schedules to bring something similar back, even if it was just at the weekends. :)
    Forum Member
    extraextra wrote: »
    Please could you upload to YouTube and share the link? Deffo think there's room in the schedules to bring something similar back, even if it was just at the weekends. :)

I have an old skool channel on youtube as it happens take a look http://www.youtube.com/user/oldskoolavchannel/videos not much on it at the moment but worth a look. I'll be adding videos as I go.

Back to the thread... I thought it was a fun filled show which offered basically what was around at the time e.g. big brother updates, latest news, competitions, banter etc. Daybreak is terrible! BBC Breakfast is ok but its all too serious, I want a silly morning show that makes you want to smile instead of making you feel depressed with whats going on in the world.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zora Suleman. Only good thing about the show.
  • extraextraextraextra Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    I have an old skool channel on youtube as it happens take a look http://www.youtube.com/user/oldskoolavchannel/videos not much on it at the moment but worth a look. I'll be adding videos as I go.

Back to the thread... I thought it was a fun filled show which offered basically what was around at the time e.g. big brother updates, latest news, competitions, banter etc. Daybreak is terrible! BBC Breakfast is ok but its all too serious, I want a silly morning show that makes you want to smile instead of making you feel depressed with whats going on in the world.

Brill, I'll take a look, Merry Christmas to you :)
  • nittynattynoonittynattynoo Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iain lee doing r Kelly - ignition I remember well!
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    Back to the thread... I thought it was a fun filled show which offered basically what was around at the time e.g. big brother updates,

Remember the morning when Sandy escaped, and it was something like the only thing that distracted from the World Cup match they were also discussing at the time?
    Forum Member
    beemoh wrote: »
    Remember the morning when Sandy escaped, and it was something like the only thing that distracted from the World Cup match they were also discussing at the time?

I only started watching it around 2003, the odd few times I caught it in 2002 so I dont remember much of it before then. I do remember Edith Bowman was on it at one point and being a horny teen and fancying her :blush: