Chromecast on sale in UK on March 1

Comments

• deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    Can anyone tell me what the iOS app is like for Chromecast?

Do you need to download a separate app from the App Store in order to use your iPhone or iPad to control the apps within Chromecast or do you alternatively go into the separate apps on your iPhone and configure from there - i.e. open up YouTube app on iPhone and configure it to work with Chromecast from within the YouTube app?
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deans6571 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what the iOS app is like for Chromecast?

Do you need to download a separate app from the App Store in order to use your iPhone or iPad to control the apps within Chromecast or do you alternatively go into the separate apps on your iPhone and configure from there - i.e. open up YouTube app on iPhone and configure it to work with Chromecast from within the YouTube app?

I downloaded the iOS app yesterday as it was the only way I could set it up with my sky hub. it's merely a functional app that doesn't actually affect any of the other apps directly (as far as I can see).

the YouTube app already has the functionality built in so when you're playing a video you can tap the cast icon and it'll squirt it to your TV - same with Netflix.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I decided to buy one now they're official in the UK (heard about too many limitations on the imported ones), but I'm not finding it to be very good.

First up, I tried to set it up on my Xperia Z1 (just updated to 4.4, so this could play a part) and it kept losing the connection. So much so, I gave up and got out my Nexus 5. Surely a Google device will work?

And, yes, it did. Set up in no time. Then it downloaded a firmware update and all good to go.

But so far I've had Play Movies work fine with it. Netflix gave errors, and BBC iPlayer also times out.

What's more, I have a dual-band router. The Chromecast can only connect to it on 2.4GHz, but most of my other devices use 5GHz.

Problem is, my phone can't 'see' the Chromecast unless I switch to 2.4GHz. Now, I am not sure if renaming the SSID of both would fix this, but that introduces other problems so I really don't want to change my wireless set up for the sake of this.
  • gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is an interesting article which compares various different streaming gadgets which all offer pretty much the same thing:

http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/apple/alternatives-apple-tv-roku-tivo-google-chromecast-3506577/

Isn't the Chromecast the same kinda thing as Apple TV though? Don't the 2 do the same thing..?!

Apple tv is only useful if you have a ios device or buy content through apple TV. Chromecast works perfectly fine for both android and ios and it seems easier for developers to add a chromecast extension to their app (ios or Android) then try and get apple to add a native apple TV app. If apple added a app store to the apple TV then that would be great.

I sold my apple TV a week after having chromecast because I couldn't see what I was going to use apple TV for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Apple TV (1080 version) is in a drawer and has been for ages. I use Netflix, but don't buy stuff on iTunes (never have, despite having numerous iOS devices and being a Mac user) so that's about all I could do with it - or perhaps view photos from my Mac.

Once I could either watch Netflix via a MHL cable from my phone, and now use Miracast (shame not all apps let you do this, like Sky Go etc) then it seemed silly to be powering a box that looked nice but did so little.

The AirPlay Mirroring was also crap. Tried to hook up my MacBook Air to the TV, using a wireless keyboard and mouse, but the lag made it impossible to type or select things without doing it all in slow motion!

But, if Apple comes up with a new Apple TV box that can run iOS apps and play games with a game controller, I will rapidly reconsider using it. For now, Apple TV is really not up to the job for a lot of users. And nor is it even that cheap, given the cost of a Chromecast, or if you wanted to get something like Now TV, just £9.99 for a box! Obviously no Netflix there, but you can then sign up for Sky TV, movies or sport which many people will find even better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just randomly tried the Netflix app on my iPhone and cast a cartoon to the TV. Started playing and I swiped up on the Netflix app to 'kill' it and the cartoon really did continue without a hitch. Nice :)

Could arguably see me using this more than the app on my smart bluray player as it's so much quicker to access. it's also handy as i've managed to dig out a coax cable to plug my tv directly into my surround system to get the 'full' experience ..
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    So far so good. It's a cinch to set up and Netflix is working very nicely.

Now I need to see if it supports my Chromebook which would be a major bonus.
    Forum Member
    Quick question to those that already have the Chromecast:

I think I read somewhere that the device never switches off (it stays on all of the time so you just have to find the correct input channel on the tv to watch it) - is this correct?
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think I read somewhere that the device never switches off (it stays on all of the time so you just have to find the correct input channel on the tv to watch it) - is this correct?

pretty much, yep. Mine gets power from the TV usb, so when I turn off the tv, it turns off chromecast. (short boot animation when it comes back on). But if you're plugging into the mains its always on.

There's certainly no obvious way of turning it off.
    Forum Member

I'm powering mine from my TV's USB port so the TV on/off button becomes the Chromecast's.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The USB port on my TV is literally right next to the spare HDMI port I have, so it's very handy :)
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    pretty much, yep. Mine gets power from the TV usb, so when I turn off the tv, it turns off chromecast. (short boot animation when it comes back on). But if you're plugging into the mains its always on.

There's certainly no obvious way of turning it off.
    Arcana wrote: »
    I'm powering mine from my TV's USB port so the TV on/off button becomes the Chromecast's.

.....perfect - cheers guys!

Think I'm gonna get one - for £30, you can't really go wrong.....!!! ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For £30 it's one of those 'no-brainer' buys.

I know I could get one from the high-street, but I ordered via Google Play and paid the £5.99 for expedited delivery and it was with me the next morning (7.30am to be precise).

I'm having a few problems still. Namely apps that freeze and force a reboot - except that when it freezes, it won't respond to a reboot request via the Chromecast app. That means having to pull the power (my TV doesn't provide power via HDMI it seems) and I can see will be a PITA in the future if a firmware update doesn't make it more reliable.

iPlayer likes to say it's ready to cast, and do nothing. Not often, but doing it even occasionally still means having to reboot.

Netflix won't play ball at all. Just times out and gives an error code, which I must look up.

YouTube and Play Movies works every time.
  • madj40madj40 Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a quick question..All I want to be able to do is play my android games such as Dead trigger 2 wirelessly on my tv. I have virgin tivo so I already have netflix. so not really bothered about streaming. Can someone tell me whether the chromecast will let me cast games or would a miracast dongle be better?
    Thanks in advance
    M
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you definitely can't cast games to the TV at the moment, but I would imagine that someone somewhere will likely try and make that happen.
  • madj40madj40 Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah right ok...Thanks for replying..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure chromecast is up to quick trigger gaming. there is a small amount of lag between e.g. pressing pause and the video pausing. Not enough to be a problem on videos, but I can't imagine it would be suitable for those sorts of games.

Plus, the chromecast is about streaming stuff from the internet, not from your devices. It would be possible to build games that work on your chromecast, in the same way as OnLive or the Playstation streaming service will work, but I don't think it will come for regular games for a while. That said, something like Angry birds would be suitable...
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It all works on mine. I've had an imported one for a while now. I had no problems setting it up and it works with Netflix, YouTube, play movies and music.

I tried it with iplayer the other day and watched an hour and a half show without any problems. I've also been able to cast my own pictures and videos.

It works with my note 3 and iPad.

I've also got an Apple TV. I buy quite a lot of stuff from iTunes and use airplay for game so I've no intention of getting rid of it despite how well the chromecast works.
  • The PhazerThe Phazer Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    madj40 wrote: »
    Just a quick question..All I want to be able to do is play my android games such as Dead trigger 2 wirelessly on my tv. I have virgin tivo so I already have netflix. so not really bothered about streaming. Can someone tell me whether the chromecast will let me cast games or would a miracast dongle be better?
    Thanks in advance
    M

Neither of them are going to be any good to be honest. Anything like that is going to involve enough encoding that the lag would make it unplayable in practice.
  • kingdavekingdave Posts: 1,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    madj40 wrote: »
    Thanks in advance
    M

There are some Cast games available. Nothing as fancy as Dead Trigger but they are around. Usually simple games like Connect 4 or Hangman.

Take a look at the below link for a catalogue of cast compatible apps:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=goko.gcs
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    What's more, I have a dual-band router. The Chromecast can only connect to it on 2.4GHz, but most of my other devices use 5GHz.

Problem is, my phone can't 'see' the Chromecast unless I switch to 2.4GHz. Now, I am not sure if renaming the SSID of both would fix this, but that introduces other problems so I really don't want to change my wireless set up for the sake of this.

I found that the phone/tablet etc had to be connected to the 2.4GHz network for the initial set up of the Chromecast, but afterwards I switched them back to 5GHz and it all still worked. Both networks have different SSIDs..
  • fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I got mine today. After a bit of hassle (ie time!) I was up and running. Tried casting YouTube first- no problem at all. Then tried Netflix again no problem either. When husband came home difficult to prize the bloody iPad off him, YouTube- music and cats on the big screen -nice.
    No problem with connectivity even though my router is upstairs and the TV downstairs. Haven't bothered with iplayer as sky has it on catch up.
    £30 well spent
    Forum Member
    Arcana wrote: »
    Now I need to see if it supports my Chromebook which would be a major bonus.

Just in case it's relevant to anyone reading this, Chromebook (mine is the Samsung Arm S3) is indeed supported.

It's a simple matter of installing the Google Cast extension on the CB, opening the tab you want to cast and clicking the icon on the extension bar.

Very handy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing i've already found very handy and very easy to do on this is browsing through youtube for new music. if you've already got something casting and you select another video, you just tap to add to the queue and keep going.

since i had nothing better to do, i timed how long it would take me to turn my bluray player on, load the youtube app and search for and play a video (Slipknot's "Before I Forget" for the record..) against how long it would take me to do the same using the YouTube app on my iPhone.

It took 1 minute, 50 seconds from the time i picked up the remote to change the tv channel to the bluray player to actually finding and playing the video.

Using the iPhone and Chromecast, starting the same way and picking up the remote to change the TV channel to finding and playing the video took 36 seconds :)

Anyway, since i'm clearly bored enough to time myself doing something like that, i'd better get out into the fresh air .. heh
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It took 1 minute, 50 seconds from the time i picked up the remote to change the tv channel to the bluray player to actually finding and playing the video.

Using the iPhone and Chromecast, starting the same way and picking up the remote to change the TV channel to finding and playing the video took 36 seconds :)

yep thats it. i have my tv hooked up to my pc, so have always been able to watch youtube/netflix etc on it, but its just a damn sight more convenient with Chromecast.