Options

Worst advert on TV at the moment (Part 11)

Comments

• Options
    julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    r_harrow wrote: »
    Thought the Sainsburys advert was quite good. Best Xmas one this year.

Preferred last year's advert for Sainsbury with Slade singing - more appropriate for Christmas.

Not crazy about the M & S advert though. They usually pull out all the stops but not this time
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anonandon wrote: »
    Or Ferris Bueller. If he was so smart why was he still at school in his early twenties?

Never mind Ferris, what about Cameron? :o Alan Ruck must've been 30-odd in that one.
  • Options
    AnonandonAnonandon Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Never mind Ferris, what about Cameron? :o Alan Ruck must've been 30-odd in that one.
    Ha ha! I forgot about him, as did the film industry.
  • Options
    silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    It seems that according to 'the internet' the Sainsbury's ad is so popular that it's going to knock John Lewis off the top spot. Just goes to show how the ad people expect potential customers to be taken in. Will viewers choose to do their Christmas shopping at Sainsbury's rather than Lidl, Waitrose or M&S just because of this ad?
  • Options
    TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silversox wrote: »
    It seems that according to 'the internet' the Sainsbury's ad is so popular that it's going to knock John Lewis off the top spot. Just goes to show how the ad people expect potential customers to be taken in. Will viewers choose to do their Christmas shopping at Sainsbury's rather than Lidl, Waitrose or M&S just because of this ad?

I think it is a great advert. I have also just watched "Passing Bells" and the ad drew me back to those scenes. Really moving - just shows the stupidity of war.
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to go against the grain here, an almost-approval for those ads which have taken older music tracks and used them without any twee-ification - aside from any other annoyances, obviously...

So the booty-shaking elephant (the lamentable term 'twerking' should be reserved for bipeds IMHO) using the original of 'Word Up' and the cartoon superhero game for using the original of 'Walk This Way' get an almost-favourable mention for at least steering clear of the obnoxiously mushy argh* recent cover versions of each of these. (did a load of late-80s/early-90s tracks get dumped on the 'cheap licence' stack recently?)

* added 'argh' because the blonde doing the trumpety voice thing on 'Word Up' might be seen as taking it out of the 'mushy' list
  • Options
    silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    Was watching the Dave channel last night which apparently is part of the UKTV broadcasting company and didn't notice any Christmassy ads. Or have i become immune to them already?
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    There's one with Kate Hudson trying to sell some exercise clothing. I don't know what it is about her but to me she always looks that smug way with what looks like an evil smile.
  • Options
    HypnosssHypnosss Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a new advert featuring a bunch of teenagers giving lectures on various issues.
  • Options
    eveningstareveningstar Posts: 19,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    julie2009 wrote: »
    Preferred last year's advert for Sainsbury with Slade singing - more appropriate for Christmas.

Not crazy about the M & S advert though. They usually pull out all the stops but not this time

Unlike John Lewis, M & S actually show what items you can buy there rather than sentimental mush that tells you nothing about the store or what is available.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    .......and the blond he's shacked up with is way out of his league. Fosters adverts have the same problem. I cannot figure out how the casting department thought those two tools would be hanging with so many swim wear models. Plus, when they proudly state that Fosters has been around since 1888 and show a glistening, cool bottle being chugged, I can't help but think how? Domestic refrigerators were invented 25 years later. I guess they thought the slogan 'Fosters, tasted like warm p!$$ for a quarter of a century.' was a tad controversial, accurate, but controversial.

:D:D:D That really made me laugh, thanks! :)
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,553
    Forum Member

I'm not I don't shop there will go to get some of the chocolate advertised in the ad.

Some people seem to think that the ad is forcing them to shop at Sainsburys :confused:
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Hypnosss wrote: »
    There is a new advert featuring a bunch of teenagers giving lectures on various issues.

What is it advertising? :confused: Don't think I've seen that one
  • Options
    HypnosssHypnosss Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    What is it advertising? :confused: Don't think I've seen that one

I was actually mistaken, it just about food waste and food poverty.

http://www.unilever.co.uk/media-centre/pressreleases/2014/Unilever-UK-advertises-corporate-brand-on-TV-for-first-time-as-part-of-global-campaign.aspx

https://www.projectsunlight.co.uk/
  • Options
    Sadly All SeeinSadly All Seein Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elena wrote: »
    The name Cortana just makes me think of a Ford Cortina... Probably not the intention...

Haven't read ahead so don't know if it has been explained by Cortana is the name of the AI in the Microsoft own xbox stores Halo who helps your character.

She always had information you need at hand or can interface with networks to get it for you
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    TBF all the main terrestrial stations are now broadcast in HD , it brings your fave programmes to life.( and makes actors look older,lol)

True. I was mostly coming from the personal point that I love the horror channel but the picture quality is so poor even youtube would be embarrassed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or Ferris Bueller. If he was so smart why was he still at school in his early twenties?

:D:D:D
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:confused::confused::confused:

Taken in by what? I have no idea what you think the problem is with this ad.
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Lloyds Bank/Channel 4 adverts are too cringey
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    Not really an ad.but a trail on Sky News for their current 'teenage vote' feature. Bunch of angry teens ("I'm tired of being screwed over by politicians" says one 14(?) year old) yeah - go tell your mummy.
    Another guy with a Fisher-Price 'My First Beard' talking into what he thinks is professional microphone is almost uninteligable.
    Why does Sky give exposure to this 6th-form political garbage?
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    4Dman wrote: »
    Not really an ad.but a trail on Sky News for their current 'teenage vote' feature. Bunch of angry teens ("I'm tired of being screwed over by politicians" says one 14(?) year old) yeah - go tell your mummy.
    Another guy with a Fisher-Price 'My First Beard' talking into what he thinks is professional microphone is almost uninteligable.
    Why does Sky give exposure to this 6th-form political garbage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo9_aBj1Z84
  • Options
    I'm-a-painI'm-a-pain Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not as 'deep' as some here, bit I do find that ad for an energy company featuring a sad-looking Orang-Utan extremely irritating!

xx
  • Options
    RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,242
    Forum Member
    .......and the blond he's shacked up with is way out of his league. Fosters adverts have the same problem. I cannot figure out how the casting department thought those two tools would be hanging with so many swim wear models. Plus, when they proudly state that Fosters has been around since 1888 and show a glistening, cool bottle being chugged, I can't help but think how? Domestic refrigerators were invented 25 years later. I guess they thought the slogan 'Fosters, tasted like warm p!$$ for a quarter of a century.' was a tad controversial, accurate, but controversial.

the other funny thing about Fosters is that its barely drunk in Australia! presumably because they realise its fizzy pish! :D
  • Options
    RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,242
    Forum Member
    Ron_J wrote: »
    The oldest students in the world on the BT adverts. The ginger one looks about 45. They're not fooling anyone. Surely there are thousands of actual young actors they could have hired?

i've hated all of the BT ads in this series, as you say the 'students' are middle aged, and the makers seem to think students still live in some 1990s bed-sit eating beans
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »

I haven't seen the advert people are talking about yet but if when I do I associate it with the young ones I might just like it more than I should :o
This discussion has been closed.