Options

Ed on ITV's "The Agenda"

Comments

• Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Landis wrote: »
    His response was 100% correct (or - as "Dave" would put it: 50% correct). If she wants to rant, just let her rant.
    Boris would have done exactly the same. And would have calmly looked at the floor (not the ceiling) as she continued.

I would not expect anger or finger pointing in these exact circumstances from either of the 2 men who hope to be the next Prime Minister.

Well said.
  • Options
    warlordwarlord Posts: 3,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a fun thread.
    Today we learned that Ed wants to save the NHS with a new tax which might raise 1% of the NHS budget if he is lucky, but may only raise a quarter of one per cent.
    We also learned that he can't win a political argument with a singer.
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    actually I think he did very well, when one considers he was being constantly interrupted and shouted at from all sided by a panel that had obviously been hand picked for their hostility towards him, imagine if he had shouted back and constantly interrupted and flapped his hands in her face, at that 'woman' in the same way she shouted at him,?

I don't know how they select the other panellists. Do you have any evidence they had been hand picked for their hostility towards Ed or are you just a bit paranoid?

And if Ed is PM, he's going to have to deal with people - important people - who will shout at him and interrupt him. I suggest he grows a backbone pronto.
    I have no doubt she would have burst into tears and it would have been "Ed the sexist pig"... oh wait, sorry you are still pushing that one,

What am I "pushing"? Are you making things up about me again?
    I am eagerly awaiting Cameron, a trades union rep, a nurse, a person on the NMW with a "spare" bedroom, and a disabled person who has been told they are fit for work,

Just for, ya know, balance?

Cameron has been on the show 3 times in the past. It appears that he managed to get through the show without incident.

Maybe Cameron is just better at this, ya know.
  • Options
    mark e amark e a Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old Hippy Guy. Congratulations on winning the Digitalspy Forum award for missing the point 2014.

The issue isn't about whether Ed is right or wrong. It is about how he presents it to the world. If he can be shouted down by an ex-member of Hear'Say, what hope does he have of convincing the public about his policies, or standing up for Britain's interests internationally?

Style over substance is the terrible affliction of David Cameron - and that cost him a majority in 2010 in my view. What Ed demonstrates is even worse - no style or substance.

I freely admit to being a Conservative supporter and have always voted for them (except once when I voted LD in a council election as I liked the candidate). That doesn't make me blind to their failings. I would say Iain Duncan Smith was far far worse opposition leader than Ed Miliband could ever be, even on his worst days. That is why the (Bloody) Tories had the sense to ditch him as soon as possible.

In my view anyone who truly supports the Labour party should be calling for EM to resign. I don't agree with a lot of Labour policy , but at the end of the day they have values and convictions that are being eroded and destroyed by a comepltely inept leader.
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mark e a wrote: »
    The issue isn't about whether Ed is right or wrong. It is about how he presents it to the world. If he can be shouted down by an ex-member of Hear'Say, what hope does he have of convincing the public about his policies, or standing up for Britain's interests internationally?

This is usually followed by: What exactly will Ed Miliband do if he has a private meeting during a G20 Summit........and Putin suddenly - and without warning - Takes his shirt off (for no obvious reason).....??.

Hmmm......Let's see. What do I want him to do?
    I want him to listen carefully to what the other guy is saying. And then open a dialogue.

I am unclear how you want a Prime Minister to behave, or if you approve of "Dave" instructing "Diplomats" to scuttle around spreading gossip about the drinking habits of the incoming President of the European Commission.
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,882
    Forum Member
    David Tee wrote: »
    What is it with Ed and photographs? He seems to have a genuine problem...

Ed and Myleene Klass

I was put off by former PM John Major on Andrew Marr's programme on Sunday with the way he said "Maybe later" to a female editor of a newspaper. It was the way he said it, I got the impression he meant more than what she wanted to ask him.

And of course he has got form with Edwina Currie and over the years I get the impression that the stories about another affair involving him and that Downing Street cook were true as well.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only 7% would vote for Ed over Ms Klass
    http://order-order.com/2014/11/18/working-klass-hero-the-people-back-myleene-over-ed/

Maybe arguing with an ex-popstar is what Labour consider "Klass warfare".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    http://order-order.com/2014/11/18/working-klass-hero-the-people-back-myleene-over-ed/

I'm watching it now and I have found the posts about Ed being "beaten up by Klass" completely bogus.

He mentioned why are they ok with the bedroom tax and not the mansion tax and they said they weren't but they didn't moan about the bedroom tax did they? That says a lot no?
  • Options
    mark e amark e a Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really as the Mansion tax is a policy he is proposing!!
  • Options
    reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    Of course suggesting that she be taxed on a "glass of water" was a stupid point to make. That's why she's B-list celebrity and not not wanting to be holder of the most powerful office in the land in 6 months . However Miliband failed to deal with the points raised and that was what was embarrassing. Any decent debater would have taken her argument apart and put her in her place.

He went to reply and the host cut him off and said something like 'thats enough of that we're moving on'
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

LOL - very good.
  • Options
    RooksRooks Posts: 9,102
    Forum Member
    I've just watched this. Blimey, he had a old tough time didn't he. His problem seems to be that he can't debate, he just repeats the party message over and over. That makes him appear weak. Myleene Klass is a smart and educated woman so it's to paint it as being demolished by a pop star isn't really fair but he should be able to perform better and he needs to get better over the coming months.
  • Options
    ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    I'm watching it now and I have found the posts about Ed being "beaten up by Klass" completely bogus.

He mentioned why are they ok with the bedroom tax and not the mansion tax and they said they weren't but they didn't moan about the bedroom tax did they? That says a lot no?

From what I've seen of it Ed didn't lose any arguments, but his problem is still that his image isn't very prime ministerial.

'Fact is he's down at the moment and so everyone puts the boot in. That's what happens when you're down, it doesn't matter whether or not you deserve it.

It is going to be an uphill struggle for him to overcome this, but the silver lining for Ed is twofold:

Firstly, the bar is pretty low this time around and, though his poll rating might be higher, Cameron is hardly John F Kennedy. From Ed's perspective, if the public see you as Stan Laurel, then it might not be too damaging if they see your opponent as Oliver Hardy.

Secondly, if Ed does somehow manage to win through next May, then once he gets real power it should be relatively easy for him to dispel current perceptions.
  • Options
    SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    Don't ever recall seeing anyone from UKIP on ' The Agenda' - then again it is made by Granada TV so not too surprising.

They even allowed the loathsome Mylene Klass on it the other week. Thankfully, I checked who was appearing and gave it a miss.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeus wrote: »
    Secondly, if Ed does somehow manage to win through next May, then once he gets real power it should be relatively easy for him to dispel current perceptions.

What gives you that idea? He has had 4 years to dispel perceptions about him and it hasn't worked despite many relaunches. Prime Ministers don't automatically become popular, respected and listened to just by walking into the door of Number 10. Just ask Gordon Brown.
  • Options
    ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What gives you that idea? He has had 4 years to dispel perceptions about him and it hasn't worked despite many relaunches. Prime Ministers don't automatically become popular, respected and listened to just by walking into the door of Number 10. Just ask Gordon Brown.

Oh he'll become unpopular for sure, just like Brown did. Politicians always disappoint, ask Obama. But Ed's problem at the moment isn't unpopularity, it's that people can't believe this is their alternative to Cameron. It's image, rather than substance based. Once Ed's seen wielding real power, hob-nobbing with the likes of Merkel, Putin and Hilary Clinton ;-), then that will change.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was terrible, definitely not Prime Minister material.
    I'm afraid I fully agree. He's clearly not up to the job of Leader Of The Opposition, never mind promotion to this nation's leader as Prime Minister. I just hope they can get rid of him before the election and persuade Alan Johnson to step up to the plate. Infact it's a shame his brother David is no longer an MP because he could have wielded the assassins knife right now against his brother, just like Ed did to him over the leadership 4 years ago. What a crazy decision it now looks. I'd like to vote Labour but absolutely not with Ed Miliband. He's more unelectable than Kinnock. So I'm off to give Farage my vote come May, like a large majority of other prospective Labour voters, more than they seem to realise. It's not just Tories switching to Farage.

Great name by the way! ;-)
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If he walks into no 10 with a small majority on the back of 35% of the popular vote. Then acts like he's got a sense of entitlement to the job and expects the public to automatically respect and listen to him. He'll be in for a shock. Short of an electoral miracle or a personality cult forming around him. He'll be in for a tough time from the start. It won't get any easier if he continues with his "I'm right and you're wrong" approach to policy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rafer wrote: »
    If he walks into no 10 with a small majority on the back of 35% of the popular vote. Then acts like he's got a sense of entitlement to the job and expects the public to automatically respect and listen to him. He'll be in for a shock. Short of an electoral miracle or a personality cult forming around him. He'll be in for a tough time from the start. It won't get any easier if he continues with his "I'm right and you're wrong" approach to policy.

Ashcrofts polls have shown more than once that Labour will gain 100 marginal seats. Labour got a 66 seat majority in 2005 with 36/35% of the vote though that was reduced "automatically" to around 48 because of boundary changes that were in place for the 2010 election but a majority of 48 would be more than enough to get things done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ashcrofts polls have shown more than once that Labour will gain 100 marginal seats. Labour got a 66 seat majority in 2005 with 36/35% of the vote though that was reduced "automatically" to around 48 because of boundary changes that were in place for the 2010 election but a majority of 48 would be more than enough to get things done.

Does that estimate include the meltdown in Labour votes in Scotland?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does that estimate include the meltdown in Labour votes in Scotland?

No they were done before but lets see if those polls hold. I doubt they will. The scottish people voted with their heads and not their hearts on independence, they will probably do the same for the General Election too but even if the SNP take Labour seats off them, they are more to the left than Labour and are not going to support the Tories.
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This isn't 2005. The landscape has changed. UKIP in England (The "safe" Heywood nearly going UKIP for the want of 600 votes) and the SNP in Scotland both on the rise.
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stegan wrote: »
    Don't ever recall seeing anyone from UKIP on ' The Agenda' - then again it is made by Granada TV so not too surprising..

They even allowed the loathsome Mylene Klass on it the other week. Thankfully, I checked who was appearing and gave it a miss.

Farage has been on it twice

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Agenda_with_Tom_Bradby

But given your bias I don't find it too surprising that you forgot.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »
    Farage has been on it twice

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Agenda_with_Tom_Bradby

But given your bias I don't find it too surprising that you forgot.

And not long ago either
    https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/the-agenda/series-6/episode-4
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rafer wrote: »
    This isn't 2005. The landscape has changed. UKIP in England (The "safe" Heywood nearly going UKIP for the want of 600 votes) and the SNP in Scotland both on the rise.

You really think the moaning can't be pleased lot voting for UKIP in a "protest", always balming immigrants for everything will vote for UKIP in the same levels at the General Election? I don't but whatever, whatever. Whoever gets in sells out and lets their core supporters down and UKIP are all over the place too!

UKIP can't stick to any of their polciies apart from get out of Europe and they are saying and soing anything to get votes. I think the people pledging support for them know they are getting hoodwinked but they pretend they aren't but will moan their arses off if/when things hit the fan.

They done it before with Blair, then with Cameron and Clagg, the same thing will happen if loud mouth farage ever got in which he won't. - GOOD! :)