Be wary of Asda - taking 'ghost' payments

2»

Comments

• ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gem2626 wrote: »
    From the research I did when this happened to me it seemed it was very much an Asda issue.

If it's the banks at fault then why does the same not happen with Tesco & Sainsbury's etc?

It does.

It just happens more because ASDA have a different card merchant to some of the others.

I've worked for a few of the supermarkets, and I'm familiar with their card processing.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Relly wrote: »
    I don't have anyone who can do my bulk shopping for me, so I rely on Tesco home delivery once a month. I've never had a problem with them, the drivers are lovely, they're punctual and Tesco never ring-fences my payments.
    Fair enough, I can understand that some people do need Online food shopping, but how people managed before I do not know, the same with sunday opening and late night shopping.

Online shopping isn't always such a bind, but this thread gives me more reason to stick with the one I know and hasn't as yet let me down in over two years.

I hope i never need to use Online shopping to be honest, I watched someone do their shopping on Tescos site and to be honest the amount of time it took, I could have walked to Tescos, got the shopping and got back on a bus or Taxi.

If I did do online shopping i would use Sainsburys, for obvious reasons in that I work there, or will do when I go back. I have no idea what they are like as I have never used it.

i suppose because it is just me i can get bits at a time I need and not do a big shop, in the times I buy bulky stuff like cat food, washing powder and that sort of thing I buy it all together and then get a Taxi home. Saying that Taxis are getting expensive now.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    biggle2000 wrote: »
    I order from Tesco at least once a week and they only take payment when my shopping is delivered.

And that is the right way to do it, after all until your shopping is picked and delivered they have no idea if there is anything in there you do not want.
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must say, in the 8 years we've been ordering with Asda, this has never happened to us. Asda's service has gone downhill in the past 18 months which is why I now mostly use Tesco, but I've never had any of them take any more than £2 (to validate the card) until the day of delivery, and this is with ordering weekly.

ETA - We did once have a problem with Asda taking exactly double payment on the day, but the store noticed the error before I'd phoned them, and had already initiated a refund.
  • PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
    Forum Member
    I have stopped using ASDA completely and will never buy anything from them again, not even diesel. ASDA's behaviour towards the end if the independence referendum was utterly disgraceful.
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    I've never had any problem with ASDA and I do online shopping with them every month and have done for a couple of years now.
  • x_Toots_xx_Toots_x Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    This is being featured on Watchdog tonight. Apparently they are the only supermarket to use this system and have been doing so for years even though they get so many complaints about it. They say they are changing their systems though.
  • LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just looking this up now. Had my shopping delivered yesterday still the money hasn't come out??? :@ stupid Asda, I thought it's meant to when we receive it.