Options

Why do people eat such disgusting for at Christmas?

Comments

• Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    I might have to do that tonight. I can't remember the last time I had savoy cabbage.

It may just be us but we don't think it tastes any different to green cabbage these days - lost something over the years.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    It may just be us but we don't think it tastes any different to green cabbage these days - lost something over the years.

You can still get tasty Brussels but it's very variable. Some are very bland, not disgusting but not tasty like they all used to be. We get ours for Christmas from an organic delivery box and they are always very good and full of flavour but you just can't tell with supermarket Brussels.
  • Options
    MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yet another strange thread started by the OP.
    neo_wales wrote: »
    The OP comes out with antagonistic/troll threads on a regular basis, look at his profile, its a joke lol.

If his original post was serious, he clearly has no cooking skills whatsoever and personally I'd dodge any dinner invitation from him :)
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    Er, because it's not disgusting to them like it is to you?

I have noticed on a lot of threads recently you seem a little unable to grasp that your opinion on things is not actually fact, just merely your view. Why is that?

Personally, I don't mind turkey but it's not my favourite meat. We are having Pork on Christmas day. If your turkey is as dry as sandpaper then I would bet that is your cooking, not the turkey, which is at fault.

Mince pies and Christmas pudding I am not a fan of. But then I am not a fan of many desserts really so it's not surprising. The rest of my family likes them, I am the odd one out on both accounts there.

Mulled wine I discovered this year I actually like! Which is odd as I don't drink red wine. But clearly when it's got the spices and things added it makes it better to me. Advocaat and Baileys I love. Brussel sprouts I love too, always have. I love all green veg but sprouts are the best.

And yet there are people agreeing with the OP so it is a view which is shared!

Actually I quite liked the OP's rant - made me laugh.

And there is a large element of truth in it - Christmas food is by definition 'traditional' - very rich, heavy and sweetly spiced, not the sort of food the majority of us choose to eat on a daily/weekly basis. But we do so at Christmas to maintain the tradition, and lots of us enjoy it too, but we've had enough by Boxing Day!
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Love roast turkey, love sprouts, Baileys is nice over ice. Not a fan of Christmas Pud, mince pie or mulled wine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Mince pies would be nice eating with some custard poured over, if your not a mince pie fan..Might like it then ? or a dollop of cream ?
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love my brussle sprouts and have them all year round.

They are lovely with a little vinegar on them (my friends and wifes family thought I was mad, but they all have vinegar on theirs as well now). :-)

Yuck! Vinegar on anything is disgusting. Why people would smother there food in bitter tasting acid is beyond me. Especially on something that's already quite bitter to begin with. Never understood the appeal of putting vinegar on food. Personally I think it would just ruin it. The only stuff you put vinegar on is something that already tastes quite disguating to hide it's horrible flavour. Like strong smelling fish or tripe.
  • Options
    Daniel_GleeballDaniel_Gleeball Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Yuck! Vinegar on anything is disgusting. Why people would smother there food in bitter tasting acid is beyond me. Never understood the appeal of putting vinegar on food.

Not even chips?
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yuck! Vinegar on anything is disgusting. Why people would smother there food in bitter tasting acid is beyond me. Never understood the appeal of putting vinegar on food.
    And you think chefs are prima donnas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not even chips?

No. Only thing I put with chips is salt and ketchup or mayo. Vinegar is just foul and bitter. May as well dip my chips in battery acid.
  • Options
    Daniel_GleeballDaniel_Gleeball Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. Only thing I put with chips is salt and ketchup or mayo. Vinegar is just foul and bitter. May as well dip my chips in battery acid.

You would love Bruges than. They like their chips dripping in mayonnaise I believe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And you think chefs are prima donnas.

There's nothing pretentious about disliking vinegar. I know loads of people who can't stand the stuff. My wife and all her family don't like it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    The OP comes out with antagonistic/troll threads on a regular basis, look at his profile, its a joke lol.

If his original post was serious, he clearly has no cooking skills whatsoever and personally I'd dodge any dinner invitation from him :)

So because I post something that YOU don't agree with but others here do agree with then that makes me a troll does it? Just because YOU don't agree with me. HA!

As for cooking skills. I can cook very well thanks. So because I don't happen to like certain foods that means I'm a rubbish cook now does it? What utter tosh. By that reckoning anybody who dislikes certain foods must be useless at cooking them.

Christmas food is notoriously dry or bitter. That's why you have to smother everything in sauce, gravy, cream, custard etc to moisten and sweeten it up. And if this food is so delicious then why do people only eat it once a year? I think it has less to do with the fact that people actually like the stuff and more because some people like to keep up tradition.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    So because I post something that YOU don't agree with but others here do agree with then that makes me a troll does it? Just because YOU don't agree with me. HA!

As for cooking skills. I can cook very well thanks. So because I don't happen to like certain foods that means I'm a rubbish cook now does it? What utter tosh. By that reckoning anybody who dislikes certain foods must be useless at cooking them.

Christmas food is notoriously dry or bitter. That's why you have to smother everything in sauce, gravy, cream, custard etc to moisten and sweeten it up. And if this food is so delicious then why do people only eat it once a year? I think it has less to do with the fact that people actually like the stuff and more because some people like to keep up tradition.

Everyones likes and dislikes differant things, and i for one dont only eat turkey or mince pies or other things like this only at xmas time. And all the things you say people only eat or drink at xmas you are wrong that is why you can buy them anytime of the year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    What does the OP eat on Christmas day ? Do you wizard some fancy stuff up ?
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    Mince pies would be nice eating with some custard poured over, if your not a mince pie fan..Might like it then ? or a dollop of cream ?

I don't like dried fruit and I'm not keen on spices used in sweet dishes - nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves etc. so I'll pass on the Christmas pud and mince pies. I'd rather have a fresh fruit salad with some cream.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps it was how you worded your OP as it didn't so much sound like your tastes you were describing but questioning why anyone else would eat those foods. Some of us possibly would eat them more often if they were not so calorific, but then they would become everyday and not special for our special celebration day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Everyones likes and dislikes differant things, and i for one dont only eat turkey or mince pies or other things like this only at xmas time. And all the things you say people only eat or drink at xmas you are wrong that is why you can buy them anytime of the year.

Well yes you can buy them all year round and some people do but I think the majority of people tend not to eat Christmas pudding and mince pies after Christmas and I don't know many people who like.eating cold pastry. Nor do I know people who buy sprouts other than at Christmas because they're an acquired taste but traditional to eat at Christmas hence why lots of people only have them with their Christmas dinner. Not because they love them but because it's a traditional ritual.

I don't know anywhere that serves mulled wine after Christmas even when it's cold in February. Why is that? Surely if everybody loved it there would be a call for it other than at Christmas. Also people tend not to have a full roast turkey any other time of year. Whilst you can buy them all year round there's a reason that supermarkets are stocked to the rafters with turkeys at Christmas and not at any other time of year. Most people eat roast chicken or beef or even pork yet the one day of the year when they're supposed to be treating themselves to something special the majority of people opt for the cheapest meat on the market instead of eating something which they would usually like to eat or even treat themselves to something a bit special.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    What does the OP eat on Christmas day ? Do you wizard some fancy stuff up ?

This year I'm doing home made tomato and basil soup or smoked salmon and cracked black pepper with creamed cheese and chive to start.

Mains is roast gressingham duck or roast capon with rosemary roast potatoes done in a mixture of duck and goose fat with a clove of garlic, carrots, green beans, sprouts (just for my mum because she insisted on having them even though everyone else hates them), wholegrain mustard mash and asparagus tips and pigs in blankets with home made gravy made with the fat off the birds plus stuffing, cranberry and bread sauce.

Desert is a choice of chocolate sponge and custard, Christmas pudding and custard (again just for my mum), home made trifle followed by a cheeseboard with pitted mixed olives.
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member

It's your general tone, ranting and antagonistic way that makes people object to your threads/posts. Your posts decend into rants every time, and you go completely over the top. Sick bastards if you like Brandy Sauce?? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christmas food is notoriously dry or bitter. That's why you have to smother everything in sauce, gravy, cream, custard etc to moisten and sweeten it up.
    Mains is roast gressingham duck or roast capon with rosemary roast potatoes done in a mixture of duck and goose fat ............... home made gravy made with the fat off the birds plus stuffing, cranberry and bread sauce.

Desert is a choice of chocolate sponge and custard, Christmas pudding and custard

Plenty of fat, sauce, custard and cream to disguise the awful taste.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nor do I know people who buy sprouts other than at Christmas because they're an acquired taste but traditional to eat at Christmas hence why lots of people only have them with their Christmas dinner. Not because they love them but because it's a traditional ritual.

So have you taken some kind of poll or do you regularly root thru your friends' and family's fridge/freezer? We buy sprouts all year round, they're quite nice if you cook them right.

I'm not convinced that thousands or even millions of people eat food they find disgusting out of pressure to conform at Christmas. As others have already pointed out, some traditional xmas food is rich, calorific, or expensive and THAT'S why they only do it once a year. Not because they hate it.

People who eat goose at Christmas probably only do it once a year too, does that mean they're only doing it because it's their tradition and they don't actually like it?
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've been eating sprouts since October and will continue to do so until they go out of season. I know you can get them all year round nowadays but they're an autumn/winter vegetable so that's when I buy them. I absolutely love sprouts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've been eating sprouts since October ................
    I wouldn't like to be trapped in a lift with you.:o
    :D
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't like to be trapped in a lift with you.:o
    :D
    Sprouts never affect me that way…lettuce on the other hand……...:blush:
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and I don't know many people who like.eating cold pastry.

Say what?