People panic buying at supermarkets before Christmas day?

Comments

• elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I went to my local Sainsbury's on Sunday and there were no spaces in the car park, it was ridiculous normally on a Sunday you can have your pick of spaces. I haven't done a big shop like I would normally do when I have been paid because I just can't bare the thought of fighting my way round everyone and even at the times I usually go (early morning or in the evening) it has been busy. I have been picking up bits each day when I go and get the paper instead so I can be in and out as quickly as possible(I hate shopping at this time of year).
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    No buying a pint of milk does not classify as panic buying, people with one or two trolleys grabbing at everything ( including items they will never use half the time such as a bottle of Advocaat and some crystalised ginger in case Auntie Dot who has not drunk since VE day likes them) ) as though we are about to be rationed instead of the shop closed for a day , now they are panic buyers.

Christmas and bank holidays, when you can't go to the shop for a bottle of Advocaat without being accused of panic buying :D
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do people panic buy at supermarkets before Christmas day? the shop is only closed for one day yet people are buying loads of stuff like the world is about to end why do they do this?

Missed the online Christmas home delivery slots, so did my Christmas food shopping in ASDA on Tuesday morning between about 7am and 7:30am - was very busy even then. But at least the shelves were well stocked, so I got everything I wanted.

As to why - well overbuying is a Christmas tradition innit.
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christmas and bank holidays, when you can't go to the shop for a bottle of Advocaat without being accused of panic buying :D

Yes and those looking at others with slit eyes and sneering superior face are being looked at by others just as judgemental :D

Doesn't matter if you are going into a shop just for your daily milk or a weeks supplies of party food, you are all adding to the people in the shop.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    The zombie apocalypse won't just not happen because it's Christmas you know.
  • Cat-Cat- Posts: 7,611
    Forum Member
    I have to say I felt really sorry for the veggie staff at my local Tesco store yesterday. Half of the shelves were empty and when I asked a member of staff if there was any leeks, he shrugged and told me he hadn't a clue and to ask someone else. The poor guy looked demented :D
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Following on from my earlier post re closing times, now I work in convienience, last night we closed at 9.00pm, had more than a few customers asking "Are you open tomorrow"??!! It was busy in patches but otherwise steady trade until it died down around 8.00pm and we had people wandering in in ones and twos. We'd finished closedown procedures and were out by 9.20, walking home I saw the nearby Tesco Express was still open till 10.00pm!
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work for a major supermarket and we closed at 6'oclock last night.

It was heeving for much of the day, I was surprised as last Christmas Eve it wasn't as busy.

Still had a couple of customers asking if we were open Christmas Day, and when told we wernt a woman said 'That's a Shame' :o Urgh no it really isn't a shame im sure you can manage one day without coming in to my shop.

Im free from the madness until Monday :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Never bothered doing a shop as we have a freezer full of food (and ice thickly settled around all the edges). Yes I meant to de-ice it but forgot. Anyway I have just realized today we have run out of bread and will soon run out of milk. Hey ho. :D
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You have obviously never seen some idiots on Christmas Eve who are literally ram raiding the aisles as though the end was coming very different from a normal shop and people going loopy as there are no turkeys, well what did they expect they have had a year to prepare for it.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    You have obviously never seen some idiots on Christmas Eve who are literally ram raiding the aisles as though the end was coming very different from a normal shop and people going loopy as there are no turkeys, well what did they expect they have had a year to prepare for it.

If you kept a fresh turkey for a year you would be spending Christmas afternoon/night onwards in hospital
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Of all the times to run out of mulled wine it had to be last night!!
    Still, at least there was Kronenbourg on the shelves!:):):)
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member

You're right, I haven't seen them. Despite going in every major supermarket in the build up to Christmas, including on Christmas Eve, I haven't seen any of the carnage and so called panic buying that is apparently so rife. No ram raiding, no fighting, not even a single verbal confrontation. I do wonder whether some people are exaggerating quite a lot.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I went in Asda yesterday to pick up a few things that the delivery hadn't got in stock at the time I got it and it was quite dead to say it was Christmas Eve only one person in front of me at the tills and that was self service some of the manned tills were empty.
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has nothing to do with the shops being closed one day, it's about people putting on a glorious feast for their guests, and everyone across the country doing it all on the same day. No one is panic buying in case they run out of food.

Incase you didn't notice, a large part of Christmas is the huge 3-4 course dinner for the whole family, crisps, nuts, chocolates, lots of drinks etc. Therefore to get the freshest food everyone in the country has to be bought for around the 21st-24th December.

Also, when you see all these people in the supermarkets, they aren't just the crowd of people, you are too!
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has nothing to do with the shops being closed one day, it's about people putting on a glorious feast for their guests, and everyone across the country doing it all on the same day. No one is panic buying in case they run out of food.

Incase you didn't notice, a large part of Christmas is the huge 3-4 course dinner for the whole family, crisps, nuts, chocolates, lots of drinks etc. Therefore to get the freshest food everyone in the country has to be bought for around the 21st-24th December.

Also, when you see all these people in the supermarkets, they aren't just the crowd of people, you are too!

Indeed. I want my Christmas fare today. It is not real use to me that I can get sprouts tomorrow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well thanks to my panic buying on Christmas Eve or as I look at it - just buying stuff on Christmas Eve, I haven't had to put my foot out the front door since.

I have run out of milk and fancy a culpa but I might just use dried milk and have cocoa instead after a bath. Then off to Wimbledon to do a wee bit of shopping, then Paddington and then something to eat (maybe get a sandwich before the shopping,

So my Christmas Eve shopping turned out just fine (apart from forgetting the Schloer)
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    neelia wrote: »
    I have run out of milk and fancy a culpa

Should have bought more milk! Mea culpa.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Should have bought more milk! Mea culpa.
    Nah - freezer full and it would have gone off. Tescos isn't that much further from my bathroom than my kitchen is :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    I've got to do a bit more charity work this week and help the sad,. lonely and desperate by working on New Years Eve and New Year's Day because they can't go two days without shopping and suddenly 'decide' that they 'need just a few small items' fifteen minutes to closing time (those that have a choice do it DELIBERATELY).
  • littlemadangellittlemadangel Posts: 4,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I popped into Marks & Spencer around 3pm on 23rd December for some bread and just a wee nosy for "something nice". It was chaos, all couples shouting at eachother, people just standing there on their phones and elderly people with their trollies, I lasted about 90 seconds before giving up and going to Sainsburys, much more civlized.

We also picked up some cheese, crisps and dips in the garage on the way home from church on Christmas Eve, about 8.30pm. It wasn't a big deal just the thought of "if the shop is still open, we'll get some crisps." Was surpised how busy it was.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    motsy wrote: »
    I've got to do a bit more charity work this week and help the sad,. lonely and desperate by working on New Years Eve and New Year's Day because they can't go two days without shopping and suddenly 'decide' that they 'need just a few small items' fifteen minutes to closing time (those that have a choice do it DELIBERATELY).

Your hatred of the human race reminds me of when I worked in a cafe, and all the staff hated the customers and wondered why they couldn't go home and make their own dinner :D
  • kibblerokkibblerok Posts: 1,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, those who did stock up probably haven't had to brave the supermarkets I'm guessing.

A wise move, just come back from abroad today and went to M&S and the coop to try and get some bits, neither had anything much fresh in and the selection was poor :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    motsy wrote: »

If you are working in a shop you aren't doing it because anyone can't go two days without shopping. You are doing it so that the shop can make money, It is ludicrous to suggest that you are there doing us a favour.
  • lustyrustylustyrusty Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    I braved Asda the day before Christmas Eve and had an old lady ram me in the stomach with her trolley. She actually backed up to do it again and when I put my hand on the trolley to stop her she called me a 'b****'

Clearly I should have just let her continue to ram me. She was a really old lady as well!