Options

Are white hetrosexual men the least equal in britain

Comments

• Options
    GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    I'm not an expert on education, but it's a fact that males from poor backgrounds perform poorly at school. Traditionally poor black boys have performed worst of all but recent reports have shown that poor white boys are now falling to the bottom of the pile.
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look up the educational performance of white males from poor backgrounds.

I can't find anything about educational performance of heterosexual white males in comparison to homosexual white males though. The sexuality part must be an important factor to the OP or surely the OP wouldn't mention it? There's some stuff done on work. But it's nearly a decade old. It reckons gay men living as a couple earn 6% less than comparable heterosexual men and are less likely to be in work. As I say I couldn't find anything on educational performance.

http://cep.lse.ac.uk/pubs/download/CP201.pdf
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    I'm not an expert on education, but it's a fact that males from poor backgrounds perform poorly at school. Traditionally poor black boys have performed worst of all but recent reports have shown that poor white boys are now falling to the bottom of the pile.

And I am sure there are reasons for this that need addressing - but where is the inequality of treatment? Are you saying they are not being given the same educational opportunities as others? If so, why?

And how does this relate to 'White Heterosexual Men' because your group doesn't include all males, just poor ones... and sexuality isn't mentioned here either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    You need petitions. 2015 goals. Let's aim to get at least A FEW white heterosexual men into the House of Lords, the House of Commons, and onto a few company boards this coming year. Let's see more men stuck in single parent poverty traps. EQUALITY FOR THE MENZZZZ!

If we bear in mind that the average age of MPs is around 50, the proportion of ethnic minority MPs (4%) is roughly in line with that of the overall population of 50 year olds and will increase steadily at every election. It is privately educated, oxbridge graduates who are by far the most over represented group.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »
    I can't find anything about educational performance of heterosexual white males in comparison to homosexual white males though. The sexuality part must be an important factor to the OP or surely the OP wouldn't mention it? There's some stuff done on work. But it's nearly a decade old. It reckons gay men living as a couple earn 6% less than comparable heterosexual men and are less likely to be in work. As I say I couldn't find anything on educational performance.

http://cep.lse.ac.uk/pubs/download/CP201.pdf

I'm not sure schools are allowed to ask pupils about their sexuality are they? Which would explain the lack of data.
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're a target but are also the most powerful.
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    jesaya wrote: »
    And I am sure there are reasons for this that need addressing - but where is the inequality of treatment? Are you saying they are not being given the same educational opportunities as others? If so, why?

And how does this relate to 'White Heterosexual Men' because your group doesn't include all males, just poor ones... and sexuality isn't mentioned here either.

Indeed. This is a genuine issue that needs addressing, but the reasons behind it don't lie in institutionalised discrimination against straight white men.
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    In what way are they least equal? What is that they are not allowed to do that gay, black or disabled people can do?

They can't be black, but they can have sex, get married and be disabled.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if you were looking for a nice undiscriminated ride through life, being a straight white male is probably your best option.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think if you were looking for a nice undiscriminated ride through life, being a straight white male is probably your best option.
    I wouldn't consider having wrongful allegations of rape slung against you by some fruit loop female on a mission of revenge, "a nice undiscriminated ride through life".
  • Options
    Danny_SilverDanny_Silver Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bingo!

End of thread.:D
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    In what way are they least equal? What is that they are not allowed to do that gay, black or disabled people can do?

They can't be black, but they can have sex, get married and be disabled.

They're most privileged, therefore not equal to other groups.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't consider having wrongful allegations of rape slung against you by some fruit loop female on a mission of revenge, "a nice undiscriminated ride through life".

Is that more likely to happen to white heterosexual men then? :confused:
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »

That can happen to men of any colour though.

Next.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Indeed. This is a genuine issue that needs addressing, but the reasons behind it don't lie in institutionalised discrimination against straight white men.

When poor black males were by far the worst performing group, it was put down to institutionalised discrimination.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2002/jan/06/publicservices.race

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2004/sep/07/education.politics

And here are the latest statistics - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/10281683/British-white-boys-risk-becoming-an-educational-underclass.html

The report uses interesting language, given that the OP was about equality.

“They are falling further behind other disadvantaged groups and they lag far behind the majority of pupils. We need to take a close look at the reasons behind this growing inequality and reassess the measures we are taking to close the performance gap.”
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Society has become much more equal in recent years. It can be seen that the challenge to white heterosexual men's position in the social hierarchy feels to many like an "attack", as if they are being "discriminated against" as if "society has been turned on its head", and so on. In reality all that has happened is a levelling of the playing field but of course for many it is a shock to no longer be in an automatically superior position.

Yes. That's it.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Who has the better chance of going to a good university and gaining a well paid job?

a) a straight, white man from a very poor background or
    b) an ethnic minority lesbian from a very wealthy background
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who has the better chance of going to a good university and gaining a well paid job?

a) a straight, white man from a very poor background or
    b) an ethnic minority lesbian from a very wealthy background

wholly spurious comparison. The deciding factor there is class/wealth and not sex, race or sexuality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wholly spurious comparison. The deciding factor there is class/wealth and not sex, race or sexuality.

That's my point, though. Wealth and social class will almost always outweigh any other privileged attribute you can think of.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    White wealthy men are the establishment in this country. They are the "least equal" in the sense of having it better than everyone else
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's my point, though. Wealth and social class will almost always outweigh any other privileged attribute you can think of.

Far too simplistic to say that. Ethnicity and socio-economic class are often interlinked - there are far more black and Asian families living in poverty than white families. Performance in education is highly influenced by parental attitude and how much they value education. Hence why you do often find that Asian boys do well even if they are living in poverty - because the cultural norm of their parents is to put great value on a good education.

As for the original post of the thread - those daft MRAs are simply getting in a knot because they can see that (quite rightly) their privileged position in society is being equalised. For some of them this is terrible though because they only feel like they have worth because they're a straight, white guy and they don't like to see their privileges eroded.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    claire2281 wrote: »
    Far too simplistic to say that. Ethnicity and socio-economic class are often interlinked - there are far more black and Asian families living in poverty than white families. Performance in education is highly influenced by parental attitude and how much they value education. Hence why you do often find that Asian boys do well even if they are living in poverty - because the cultural norm of their parents is to put great value on a good education.

Oh really? A quarter of independent school pupils are from ethnic minorities, and every single one of them will have a sizeable, inbuilt advantage over white state school pupils for the rest of their lives.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-17823860

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10229248/Private-school-pupils-monopolising-top-university-places.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/private-school-children-will-earn-200000-more-on-average-than-stateeducated-kids-by-42-9580114.html
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

sorry. I misunderstood and thought you were arguing the opposite.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,270
    Forum Member
    Double post :blush:
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,270
    Forum Member
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mp-predicts-more-violent-uk-4874893

A lot of people think heterosexual white men are the most inequality

I'd expect that in some hick, backwater state of the U.S.