Jonathan Ross Returns To The BBC

occyoccy Posts: 65,128
Forum Member
✭✭
Chat show host Jonathan Ross is to return to the BBC in January 2011.

He is to appear in a new BBC Two science series fronted by Professor Brian Cox and comedian Dara O'Briain.

Three-part astronomy event 'Stargazing Live' will offer viewers "a whistle-stop tour across the galaxy", according to director of BBC Vision Jana Bennett.

In the course of the programme, Jonathan Ross will be shown how to use a telescope and he will be seen taking a look at various stars in the sky.

Speaking at a Broadcasting Press Guild event yesterday, Bennett commented: "Jonathan actually left [the BBC] on quite good terms, we never shut the door. We did not say he should not be on the BBC. He's doing this, he's doing Bafta film awards. He's still involved."

And 'Stargazing Live' isn't the only TV show Ross will be featuring in next year.

He said yesterday on ITV's 'Loose Women', in which he was appearing as a panellist: "I’m going to be back here on ITV with a talk show next year – which is kind of like we did before. It’s going to have some changes, but it’s not until this time next year so we’re not really putting the nuts and bolts together."

He added: “I’ve got loads of stuff going on and I’m writing a lot at home and I’m doing stuff which maybe I didn’t have quite the chance to do before.”

http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/news-extra/article/101096/jonathan-ross-to-appear-in-stargazing-live.html

Comments

• TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's a major draw so not surprising the BBC want him.

I used to love his R2 show of a saturday, not too keen on the chat show though.
  • juswotmawatchinjuswotmawatchin Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    BBC Science Programme hosted by Jonathan Woss and Dara ' o ' Briien :eek:

Still no signs of the Beeb Dumbing down or losing the Plot then.

Even.. Cox is more Celebrity than Science these days.

Ahh well ....hope Im wrong:yawn:
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He has not signed exclusively to any broadcaster, and although its clear he will be a major future face on ITV there is no reason he cannot appear on the BBC.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member

or maybe it'll be hosted by Brian Cox and Dara O'Brien like the OP said?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will probably watch this even though I'm not that into stargazing...Dara is a proper science nerd :)
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and there's me hoping he was just coming back to collect his P45.
  • Urban BassmanUrban Bassman Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will probably watch this even though I'm not that into stargazing...Dara is a proper science nerd :)

Well Dara did do maths and theoretical physics at Uni so he's probably pretty well qualified to co-host with Brian Cox.
  • juswotmawatchinjuswotmawatchin Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    Well Dara did do maths and theoretical physics at Uni so he's probably pretty well qualified to co-host with Brian Cox.

agreed and from watching his experimental antics with Cox on Friday night with JR we can be assured of the genuine gravitas that Ross will bring to the party :rolleyes:
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    agreed and from watching his experimental antics with Cox on Friday night with JR we can be assured of the genuine gravitas that Ross will bring to the party
    Good to see that you have already passed your verdict on a programme yet to be screened.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the BBC is rowing back from Blandsville

Just a few years ago it would have been one of the stand-by "Breakfast" presenters fronting up a programme like this.

Cox, Ross and O'Briain are 2.5 smart cookies, are dynamic in their presenting and (as mentioned) O'Briain has some physics qualification or other.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To be fair Cox is very good at presenting Physics without dumbing down too much.
  • jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,634
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    He's a major draw so not surprising the BBC want him.

I used to love his R2 show of a saturday, not too keen on the chat show though.

It's odd isn't it, I couldnt stand the Radio 2 programme but thought his chat show was often pretty good. :)
  • Kevin1960Kevin1960 Posts: 5,601
    Forum Member
    jackthom wrote: »
    It's odd isn't it, I couldnt stand the Radio 2 programme but thought his chat show was often pretty good. :)

I thought his chat show was good and he turned out to be an excellent presenter on the Film show but I couldn't stand him on the radio.

Going back several years, Kenny Everett was somebody who I thought was brilliant on the radio. I couldn't stand him on the television though (apart from on Blankety Blank!).
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    or maybe it'll be hosted by Brian Cox and Dara O'Brien like the OP said?
    Or even Dara O'Briain