Sony Tablet S

fortytwofortytwo Posts: 1,298
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone had any problems with this tablet?

My wife has one and earlier after switching it on the SONY name came up but then the animated display never ended and the boot up never completed.

I tried a few soft resets but to no avail. Having read somewhere a low battery can give strange symptoms it's now charging although the full light is actually displaying green, and I think it was before all this started anyway.

I've had no luck searching so I'm hoping someone here can throw some light on this problem.

Thanks

Comments

• fortytwofortytwo Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plenty of views but no replies!

I don't know if the post wasn't understandable or that no one here has one of these tablets or even if the tablets are so reliable that I'm the only one with a duff one. :)

Since yesterday I've managed to find the procedure for a hard reset which of course reverts to the factory settings and loses all the data, which I'm going to try as a last resort. It may of course be that the tablet is just plain broken.

There appears very little on the Sony site about this just how to do a soft or hard reset. The hard reset gives the procedure using the menu system to get to the reset which is absolutely useless if the tablet doesn't boot up .

I did eventually find out how to do it by using the magic words of the tablet to search ie SGPT111GB/S.

Please feel free to offer relevant advice I don't really fancy wiping out all my wife's data :)
  • ssrssr Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    If your tablet is running Android you will not lose much at all, as once you factory reset and then log in again to your Google account all the apps you had previously will install again as will all pics in your gallery.
    Both my previous ASUS TF101 and my present Nexus 10 both do this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ssr wrote: »
    If your tablet is running Android you will not lose much at all, as once you factory reset and then log in again to your Google account all the apps you had previously will install again as will all pics in your gallery.
    Both my previous ASUS TF101 and my present Nexus 10 both do this.

I had to do the factory reset in the end so all her data - not sure if she had any pics - was lost.

I was just pleased that the tablet is now usable again although I've got no idea why the problem occurred in the first place.

That's twice now, first time, it was fixed by a soft reset the second time by a hard reset, if it goes again I think it will have the Basil Faulty treatment.
  • GamerGirlGamerGirl Posts: 623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, just seen this.

I have one of these Sony S tablets. I had a similar problem as your wife's one a while ago and decided to do a hard factory reset on it because it was gradually becoming more unresponsive. It is, of course, running an older Android version and I suspect that some of the newer apps made for the most recent builds might not play quite so nicely with it. Plus it is just a good idea to clean it up occasionally.

I didn't want to just let everything straight back on after the clean-up i.e. Google Newsstand doesn't work well on it so I left it off the Sony S (but have it installed on my Nexus 7), so I carefully chose the apps I really wanted re-installed and put them back them a couple at a time to make sure everything ran well afterwards. So far, so good....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting your experiences of the Sony S.

I'm pleased to find that I'm not alone in having some problems with this tablet!

My experience of it is basically when my wife sticks it in front of me and says look at this!. Which is either when the wireless connection drops off – very regularly, generally to get a full signal it has to be within 10 feet of the router - or when it freezes as posted above.

I've just checked the Wiki page (not all that flattering a write up) and although it has the latest version os (4.0.3) it is, as you say rather outdated, which is ok because the tablet was given to her and would be suitable for all her needs ie picking up emails, a small amount of browsing and a couple of games to keep her mind sharp ( if the latest medical theory is correct!)

Regarding the apps, I'm assuming those that are now showing after the reset are part of the installation so presumably shouldn't cause any problems?

Anyway things are peaceful again now, the emails appear to be coming in again :)
  • GamerGirlGamerGirl Posts: 623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The apps showing after the reset will contain the original Sony ones that were pre-loaded, yes....but if you have the Google Play Store set to auto restore your apps it will have automatically restored what was previously on the tablet before the reset...including any later downloaded apps and games.

I have my Tablet S set to backup what is on there automatically, but I also have the automatic downloads/updates turned to OFF so that I can manually check what is being updated before allowing it to download. Maybe think about looking at what you have set up to happen?
    You might also want read the app reviews underneath the update information on the Google Play Store to get an idea of whether you want to update an app at that particular time or to wait. People will often complain there if it has broken anything, or say that it is a good update.

Keeping the contents of the tablet simple should help to keep it working well.
    Make sure that you have it set to back up automatically to your account on the Play Store, so that if you have to factory reset it again you will get it back to how it was before. Also keep a written note of the preferred apps for reference, to make it easier for re-downloading what you want to put back on it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your response, some good tips there.

Things have moved on somewhat since my last post. My wife got fed up with the tablet's wireless constantly losing its connection - which although in another room to the router is still within line of sight through a window - so she's bought a refurbished ipad on the basis that our grandkids bring their ipads here and they perform well.

However the Sony has passed to me so all your advice will come in handy when I try to get to grips with it. I shall normally be using it in the same room as the router so I don't anticipate problems with the wireless performance.