Options

Sky Sports Cricket Coverage 2015

Neil_HarrisNeil_Harris Posts: 1,822
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The county fixtures have been released for the 2015 season (http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2015/content/match/fixtures.html?country=1;season=2015;class=4;class=5;class=6)

Key Dates
Sunday April 12 - First round of county championship matches
Friday May 15 - T20 Blast begins
Friday July 24 - T20 group stages end
Saturday July 25 - One Day Cup Begins
Wednesday August 12 - Saturday August 15 - T20 Q Finals
Tuesday August 25 - Thursday August 27 - One day cup quarter finals
Saturday August 29 - T20 Finals Day
Sunday September 6 & Monday September 7 - One day cup Semi finals
Saturday September 19 - One Day Cup final
Tuesday September 22 - Friday September 25 - Final Round of county championship matches

Comments

• Options
    arsenalsriarsenalsri Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Interesting story. oh and there is the obligatory mention of everybody's favorite channel at the end - Pick Tv:)

Domestic cricket could return to free-to-air television as early as the 2015 season, according to Surrey chief executive, Richard Gould.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2015/content/story/806261.html
  • Options
    mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    arsenalsri wrote: »
    Interesting story. oh and there is the obligatory mention of everybody's favorite channel at the end - Pick Tv:)

Domestic cricket could return to free-to-air television as early as the 2015 season, according to Surrey chief executive, Richard Gould.

What the counties want to offer are the equivalent of a few crumbs from the rich man's table.

A small highlights packages rounding up games from, say the T20, and shown on Pick TV is simply not going to reverse declining interest.

Until we see at least some of England's international matches each summer shown on a FTA channel such as the BBC or Channel 4, I doubt much will change.
  • Options
    CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah surely only the hardcore will care about a highlights show. However a full game with the full presentation would pick up fans. Just look at how highly the IPL rated on 1TV4 for its timeslot!
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    arsenalsri wrote: »

TVSM says the expiry date for Sky to exercise its option on 2018 and 2019 is the end of this month so if any deal is to be done which requires Sky's consent then it looks like we may hear something fairly soon.

Incidentally Gould's comments re how much Burnley receives from Sky is completely wrong - because a substantial amount of PL TV money comes from overseas rights, BT and BBC. Gould appears to think that Sky pays the lot - whereas in fact they pay well under half.

http://www.sportbusiness.com/sport-news/counties-renew-free-air-call-domestic-cricket
  • Options
    tim456tim456 Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Putting FTA highlights on Pick would be a waste of time. Needs to be on one of the mainstream channels that have a higher profile than Pick does.
  • Options
    Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    TVSM says the expiry date for Sky to exercise its option on 2018 and 2019 is the end of this month so if any deal is to be done which requires Sky's consent then it looks like we may hear something fairly soon.

Incidentally Gould's comments re how much Burnley receives from Sky is completely wrong - because a substantial amount of PL TV money comes from overseas rights, BT and BBC. Gould appears to think that Sky pays the lot - whereas in fact they pay well under half.

http://www.sportbusiness.com/sport-news/counties-renew-free-air-call-domestic-cricket

There's nothing quite like a man who was passed over for the job stirring up a hornet's nest just a month before the new ECB Chief Exec takes over............
  • Options
    Nick GNick G Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The county fixtures have been released for the 2015 season (http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2015/content/match/fixtures.html?country=1;season=2015;class=4;class=5;class=6)

Key Dates
    Sunday April 12 - First round of county championship matches
    Friday May 15 - T20 Blast begins
    Friday July 24 - T20 group stages end
    Saturday July 25 - One Day Cup Begins
    Wednesday August 12 - Saturday August 15 - T20 Q Finals
    Tuesday August 25 - Thursday August 27 - One day cup quarter finals
    Saturday August 29 - T20 Finals Day
    Sunday September 6 & Monday September 7 - One day cup Semi finals
    Saturday September 19 - One Day Cup final
    Tuesday September 22 - Friday September 25 - Final Round of county championship matches

Look at that Semi final day for the 50 over competition. Monday 7th September, the first post holiday working or school day for many. Presumably this is at Sky's insistence but can they not see how such a decision devalues the competition? Both semis should be played on the Sunday when there is no Premier League football for Sky to broadcast.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim456 wrote: »
    Putting FTA highlights on Pick would be a waste of time. Needs to be on one of the mainstream channels that have a higher profile than Pick does.

It's a start. There is nothing at the moment, So anything is an improvement
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick G wrote: »
    Look at that Semi final day for the 50 over competition. Monday 7th September, the first post holiday working or school day for many. Presumably this is at Sky's insistence but can they not see how such a decision devalues the competition? Both semis should be played on the Sunday when there is no Premier League football for Sky to broadcast.

It's a no win situation for Sky because of the ODIs on the Saturday and Tuesday, either they have them on separate days and are forced to put one on the Monday or they have them both on the Sunday and some people complain that they are both on at the same time
  • Options
    chrisfinchchrisfinch Posts: 5,735
    Forum Member
    It's a start. There is nothing at the moment, So anything is an improvement

That curious Cricket Fever show was on Pick on Sunday mornings this past season, but it had no publicity, nobody knew it was on, nobody cared and by August they'd dropped it.

That's the sort of programme you'd realistically get if there was a FTA highlights show.
  • Options
    tvphiltvphil Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisfinch wrote: »
    That curious Cricket Fever show was on Pick on Sunday mornings this past season, but it had no publicity, nobody knew it was on, nobody cared and by August they'd dropped it.

That's the sort of programme you'd realistically get if there was a FTA highlights show.

There would be little point in having a highlights show on Pick TV.

Am sure the reason this is being proposed is to get increased exposure on a channel with a mass audience. This ideally means one of the 5 original terrestrial channels, or as next best option the likes of BBC3 or ITV4.

Of all of these options I would imagine BBC2, Channel5 or ITV4 would be the most obvious candidates.

The question is - would any of these broadcasters be interested and prepared to pay?
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Who will be the first person to suggest BBC Two could show full four day county matches? **head in hands**
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who will be the first person to suggest BBC Two could show full four day county matches? **head in hands**

Well, it would be an improvement on what's on now!

I know it's virtually impossible; but if there was a dedicated FTA live sports channel/ where all companies can show their sports (so if the BBC provides there would be no ads etc) I'm sure it would gain a large audience. Get rid of some +24 channels to make space!!

What, having commercial and BBC television on the same channels? Well, isn't that what S4C is/was??
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    Stung by news of falling participating numbers and a drop in the average number of spectators per game in the re-launched NatWest T20 Blast, the counties are keen to reverse an apparent decline in interest in the sport.

Something approaching a consensus has formed among the county chief executives who feel a return of some cricket on free-to-air television would help spark a revival.

"The highest priority of county chief executives at the moment is getting county cricket back in front of the pay-wall," Gould, who was recently on the shortlist for the CEO role of the ECB, told ESPNcricinfo.

"We need to get a domestic highlights package on free-to-air television as soon as possible. It would help promote and develop the game. We have looked at the contracts and we understand we can do that now."

Well I hate to say I told you so, but this is all so predictable.

If the ECB had any sense they would get as much live 20/20 (domestic and international) on FTA TV as they can. This won't happen of course.
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One problem with county cricket is that if Kent v Essex is on, huge interest from their fans but not much from the rest of the country.
    One way round that is if ITV1 could put aside a couple of Sundays (or something) where each region could show a 20/20 game involving that region. So on one partucular Sunday afternoon, say five games could be covered but only one shown in each region (ie Lancs v Durham shown in Granada, Tyne Tees and any of the regions without cricket could show). Would that cost much more than when they covered 8+ regional games on the highlights programmes, as per 70's/80's?
  • Options
    malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    I still think the best idea is a T20 game live once per week on ITV4 or BBC2 starting at 6pm. I can't see C5 wanting 3 hours of coverage into their Primetime shows. Wasn't this something the BBC asked for / looked at in the last rights auction but Sky stopped it as they wanted an exclusive deal they paid extra for.

I suppose you can't blame the ECB going for the cash as that's what India has done as well. Let ITV4 build an audience for IPL then sell to Sky for more money.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think we both know/knew the answer to that one :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malcy30 wrote: »
    I still think the best idea is a T20 game live once per week on ITV4 or BBC2 starting at 6pm. I can't see C5 wanting 3 hours of coverage into their Primetime shows. Wasn't this something the BBC asked for / looked at in the last rights auction but Sky stopped it as they wanted an exclusive deal they paid extra for.

I suppose you can't blame the ECB going for the cash as that's what India has done as well. Let ITV4 build an audience for IPL then sell to Sky for more money.

ITV4 could have the Friday teatime game, Sky could still then have a Friday night game. Everyone's a winner
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    England games coming up on Sky

FRI 16TH JANUARY

Australia 03:20 England
    Tri-Series in Australia 2015, Sky Sports 2 HD (03:00)

TUE 20TH JANUARY

England 03:20 India

FRI 23RD JANUARY

Australia 03:20 England

FRI 30TH JANUARY

England 03:20 India

And possibly

SUN 1ST FEBRUARY

Finalist 1 03:20 Finalist 2
  • Options
    ed1747ed1747 Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    I noticed that in Sky's 2015 cricket promo there's no mention on the Pakistan v England series later in the year so presumably the rights for that haven't been sorted yet.
  • Options
    BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    ed1747 wrote: »
    I noticed that in Sky's 2015 cricket promo there's no mention on the Pakistan v England series later in the year so presumably the rights for that haven't been sorted yet.

TBH it hasn't even been officially announced yet.

Asian, WI and even Australia and South Africa release fixtures date so late which is always a pain for Barmy Army travellers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ed1747 wrote: »
    Bhaveshgor wrote: »
    TBH it hasn't even been officially announced yet.

Asian, WI and even Australia and South Africa release fixtures date so late which is always a pain for Barmy Army travellers.

The PCB have been very behind the game in sorting out rights, the host broadcaster rights for the recent Australia and New Zealand series were only sorted out a few weeks before
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I presume Sky Sports 2 will turn into Sky Sports Ashes again this summer. Hopefully we will get some different games from the archive this time, such as the game where Australia failed to chase 124 in the 1997 Oval test.
  • Options
    cosmo crumbcosmo crumb Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    I presume Sky Sports 2 will turn into Sky Sports Ashes again this summer. Hopefully we will get some different games from the archive this time, such as the game where Australia failed to chase 124 in the 1997 Oval test.

I doubt it, variety isn't Sky's strong point when it comes ot their cricket archive, despite the huge back catalogue of games they must have their "Cricket classics" seem to be about six matches shown over and over again and if Ricky Ponting gets any repeat fees for his masterclass I doubt he ever has to work again
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very frustrating that sky shove New Zealand behind the red button when the Australia coverage starts.
    Of course it's good they are showing it at all, but why do it half hearted?