Here's an idea for Anniversary Specials

Xmas_TrenzaloreXmas_Trenzalore Posts: 550
Forum Member
✭✭
In The Christmas Invasion, the Doctor regrew a hand because he was still in the early stages of his regeneration.

In Angels take Manhattan, he uses some residual energy to heal River Song's hand. It must have been residual, since he was on his last life.

And there was that one time when the Doctor became young again in The Last of the Time Lords when he was connected to the psychic network.

And in both The End of Time, and The Time of the Doctor, he hits a reset point where he heals himself and becomes young.

The Eleventh Doctor lived for at least 1000 years. He says he either lies about his age, or is so old he has no idea, or the time changes so much he can't keep track.

^^^Supporting evidence^^^ Don't worry, all pre series 8 stuff.

So, what if the Doctor's ageing process varies from body to body, because of metabolism or whatever. Even the eighth Doctor said his particular body was good at healing itself.

What if the Doctor can use residual regenerative energy to youthen himself. Keep himself looking spick and spam. Purely from a cosmetic stand point.

This way we can retroactively insert eras of the Doctor's life where he lived as an old man for a while before giving himself a top up, and old actors can come back and play the part without the difference in appearance being too jarring.

The risk here is that it cheapens the change in regeneration. But I think as long as its made clear that this is only for minor injuries and cosmetic rejuvenation, it'll be fine.

Like the Doctor can return to his companion one day, a bit older, and he almost off-handedly does it. Rubs his hands together building up a glow "lets see if I have enough residual energy to..." swipes hands across face, young again, rubs a little more down his arms as if dusting his shirt, the flings the rest down his body, "There we are."

I'd like to see some of the older Doctors make a come back, either in anniversary specials or cross over episodes like "The Two Doctors". I think this would be a good way-around y'know.

I mean, the alternative is that they come back anyway, and we just don't question their looks.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Xmas_TrenzaloreXmas_Trenzalore Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...well I thought it was a good idea >.>
  • donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you mean,having a different younger actor playing earlier Doctors?
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm all multi Doctored out tbh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    donovan5 wrote: »
    Do you mean,having a different younger actor playing earlier Doctors?
    Maybe if that respective actor has passed, but then you can just cast an actor that looks like him or use stock footage, like in the five doctors, Zagreus or Day of the Doctor.

I'm talking more about the previous actors like Davison, McCoy and the Bakers. But even the modern actors like Tennant, Smith or Capaldi are going to age.

If this idea was introduced, they could all come back regardless of how much they changed physically.
    Pull2Open wrote:
    I'm all multi Doctored out tbh.
    I know what you mean. I'm a bit burnt out too after the intensity of the 50th anniversary. But that'll pass eventually, give or take about 5 years, and I just thought this would be a good way of explaining the Doctor's older appearance.

As long as they don't make a big deal out of it, and individually explain where all the Doctors are in their lives. The important thing is that the actors are back to have another go at it, and this is just a hand wave explanation.
  • jxbrennajxbrenna Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it can be done! as evident in Time Crash!

a scenario could occur where all the drs are trying to get to one pint at the exact same time and that amount of energy shortens out somthing in the tardis and makes 4 - 7 look older than they did :) PM can easily come back, DT would do it! Matts already said all they have to do is ask! :) so i can be done if written right :)
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Knowing Moffat instead of his enemies plotting together it will be all the Drs ex wifes and girlfreinds confronting him!. Elizabeth 1, Marilyn Monroe, Cleopatra thought he was worth mentioning. Tasha Lem is a godesss with her own church and followers.Being a data ghost didn't stop River Song getting to Trenzalore. Doubt she would pass a chance to see her "sweetie" again.Would pay good money to see that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jxbrenna wrote: »
    it can be done! as evident in Time Crash!

a scenario could occur where all the drs are trying to get to one pint at the exact same time and that amount of energy shortens out somthing in the tardis and makes 4 - 7 look older than they did :) PM can easily come back, DT would do it! Matts already said all they have to do is ask! :) so i can be done if written right :)
    Yeah, I guess that's true.
    But this way they wouldn't have to keep explaining why the Doctor looks older.
  • jxbrennajxbrenna Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I guess that's true.
    But this way they wouldn't have to keep explaining why the Doctor looks older.

Troughton came back in The Two Doctors and looked visibly older than he did (he even had grey hair) and that worked out fine :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe, but even he didn't look that different.
    Whereas compare current Colin Baker to his Doctor who days.
    Stark contrast.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    jxbrenna wrote: »
    Troughton came back in The Two Doctors and looked visibly older than he did (he even had grey hair) and that worked out fine :)
    Timeline works out anyway. This was after he got punished by the Time Lords in The War Games, but before his forced "change of appearance". And Jamie, 2's companion, can simply be said to have been taken from a later point in his life, since he was sent home by the Time Lords, then retrieved later.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    JAS84 wrote: »
    Timeline works out anyway. This was after he got punished by the Time Lords in The War Games, but before his forced "change of appearance".
    It's quite a stretch to assume there was any gap between the two.
    And Jamie, 2's companion, can simply be said to have been taken from a later point in his life, since he was sent home by the Time Lords, then retrieved later.
    With his memory wiped. Why would they punish the Doctor, wipe his companion's memory and return him to his own time and place, then give the Doctor a task to do on their behalf, and to do so bring back his memory-wiped companion, then punish the Doctor again by forcing his change of appearance, and re-wiping his companion? And only then exiling him to Earth.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My head hurts trying to contemplate.