Options

World Wrestling Entertainment Discussion XVIII (Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    Robbie_90Robbie_90 Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    The quality of the wrestling is a heck of a lot better now and that is undeniable, however from an entertainment aspect it's not very good, which is mainly down to the creative team scripting absolutely everything. Only a small handful of guys can cut a decent promo, while the others are just robots who are too pre-occupied with having to remember lines their mic work lacks any sort of edge.

Being an Attitude Era kid myself I'll always hold that period close to my heart. Pretty much everyone was over to an extent, it wasn't just the main eventers and that's what made it so compelling and unmissable. Also back then kayfabe was taken seriously and I think that added to the integrity of the product.

It was undoubtedly the most important period in the history of the business, the competition from WCW forced WWE to push the boundaries and do things never seen before. I don't think you can truly appreciate the era unless you grew up during it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    WWF Attitude scripts work when you take into account everybody was the bad guy and the evil Mr McMahon was the puppeteer of everythng. A dark show within a show if you like.
    I guess going back to basics and being a live action comic book show hybrid fictional sports organisation is what is best for business though. Or at least the safest direction.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    talk of cycles is just an excuse.

you didnt "get" the attitude era,i feel so sorry for you.

:rolleyes:

You feel sorry for me? Oh gee thanks. Well please don't. I certainly did get the era you pompous nark.

It was nothing to do with booking. It wasn't wrestling fans tuning in. It was people wanting to be shocked.
    Necrophilia, electrocution, infidelity, gang beatings, mutilation, bleeding buckets, human sacrifices, half-naked women, sexually-charged "storylines", swearing, anarchy, bucking authority, fighting God, hardcore matches just to have them. It was a circus

It was all shock value and yes to a degree it worked but it was no different to using Rock'n'Roll wrestling in the 80s to pull in casual viewers.

End of the day the lull that followed both left fans feeling pretty empty
  • Options
    AlferdPackerAlferdPacker Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone Staying up for Raw in the morning?
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it just Orton v Bryan that's a HIAC match, or is Cena v Del Rio in the cell as well?
    Anyone Staying up for Raw in the morning?

I'll be here tonight.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it just Orton v Bryan that's a HIAC match, or is Cena v Del Rio in the cell as well?

I'll be here tonight.

I'm tempted, but I'll probably end up watching it in the morning. Need to watch last weeks Smackdown.
  • Options
    SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm tempted, but I'll probably end up watching it in the morning. Need to watch last weeks Smackdown.

Nothing really great.
  • Options
    DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member

I'll be here tonight.

I believe only the WWE Title match is a HITC match.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DejaVoodoo wrote: »
    I believe only the WWE Title match is a HITC match.

If I remember, they weren't entirely clear on that last year with many people unsure as to whether or not the Big Show v Sheamus WHC match was in the cell or not until the match actually started.

It was the first year that there was just one cell match, so some people assumed that the two main matches would be contested in the cell like the previous PPV's.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha Raw in St Louis gonna have to get Orton to punt a baby to even get close to being booed:p
  • Options
    Alien_SaxonAlien_Saxon Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Orton will get the same cheers he always gets....that is the same people who cheer for Cena.

Nobody else will cheer for that tattooed bodybuilder with an important daddy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'll be here tonight.

Im pretty sure i will be again.

To Counter the cheers i think they might have Orton try the old diss the hometown stick
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To Counter the cheers i think they might have Orton try the old diss the hometown stick

Lol back in the early years he used to have a strong Missourian accent, kinda cute in a "different accents are sexy" way :p
  • Options
    KingOliKingOli Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I remember, they weren't entirely clear on that last year with many people unsure as to whether or not the Big Show v Sheamus WHC match was in the cell or not until the match actually started.

It was the first year that there was just one cell match, so some people assumed that the two main matches would be contested in the cell like the previous PPV's.

Its possible they will put Punk's match inside a cell as well, putting Cena in Hell in the cell off the back of an injury just seems to be asking for trouble.

Speaking of Cena, do we actually have any information on how he has come back so quickly?
  • Options
    richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good morning everyone staying up tonight
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    richie4eva wrote: »
    Good morning everyone staying up tonight

Good Morning Sir
  • Options
    JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,661
    Forum Member
    Morning all.
  • Options
    PandaPawPawPandaPawPaw Posts: 7,340
    Forum Member
    hey hey hey. :cool:
  • Options
    tsotso Posts: 25,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i will stay up for a while then watch rest later..my hopes are not high.
    oh god HBK:sleep:
  • Options
    JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,661
    Forum Member
    His is still the best music around.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HBK! That's a good start to Raw. :cool:

Gonna be hard to get heel heat on Orton in St.Louis though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why do I feel like HBK is just saying a bunch of words he's meant to and not actually doing a proper HBK promo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I called it!
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do I feel like HBK is just saying a bunch of words he's meant to and not actually doing a proper HBK promo.

Yeah, he's doing some corny voice or something. He needs some of that old HBK cockiness.

He looked really bald when he went for the kick there too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did that Sweet Chin connect even though it was meant to miss? It sounded like it did. :p
This discussion has been closed.