What is your ideal writers line up?

LivingDestinyLivingDestiny Posts: 714
Forum Member
✭✭
So what would everyones dream line up be for a series of 12 episodes? When I say dream, try and keep it realistic. By that I mean let's not have it full of world class Hollywood writers. Obviously you'll want good writers as well but let's have a nice balance and think about the budget. A guest high profile writer, as everybody knows, is by no means unrealistic... Here's mine.

Steven Moffat - I'm sure a lot of people would disagree but I'd keep Moffat as showrunner. He sure knows how to keep an arc going and with writing for six incarnations of The Doctor, he knows the part well.

Neil Cross - It's no secret that I'm a fan of this guy. I was disappointed that he hasn't got a spot in series 8. It thought both his series 7 episodes were great along with his own tv show Luther. I think a spot later in the run would suit him more, when characters have been developed and the arc is in full swing.

Catherine Tregenna - Doctor Who needs a strong female writer and she would be a great addition to the writing team. CJH and Adam are two of my favourite Torchwood episodes and her other two weren't that bad either. I think she should give Doctor Who a shot.

Neil Gaiman - The writer I'm currently most interesting in. He puts all his effort into scripts. I think after the two episodes he's wrote he has a lot more to give and would love to see some more of his episodes.

Paul Cornell - He wrote my favourite two part story with Human Nature and Family of Blood. I think he knows how to pace a two parter and would happily have him back for another. Father's day is a stand out episode for me in series 1. It's a real shame we haven't seen him back since IMO. After series 3 (When I started to realise who were the better writers) Moffat and Cornell were the standouts to me.

Toby Whithouse - Whithouse doesn't write many gems admitting, but all but Town called Mercy, I've found entertaining. He's a very diverse writer, none of his episodes are the same. I liked what he did with Being Human and Torchwood. I'd like to see him write more episodes of Doctor Who. Preferably less serious episodes, like School Reunion. He's great at comedy and anyone who watches Being Human will know that.

Wendy West - Sounds a bit strange, but hear me out.... I think she's a great writer. She wrote some of the best episodes for Dexter and has also contributed a lot to L&O: SVU. With the series expanding to America and the states holding some filming locations, I think the American fans would enjoy the fact that an American writer is lined up and make them really feel part of it. West could write a dark 40's noir style crime episode set in America. It'd certainly be different and fun to watch.

Russell T Davies - If there is anything the show lacks now, its some fun light hearted episodes like we saw in the RTD era. I think a nice standalone story with a few comical aspects written by RTD would be great to watch and a nice welcome back for him. In Moffat's opinions he is the best writer in TV and would take him back in a heart beat.

Just for fun I've ordered them (which people might want to do rather than giving explanations like I have) :)

1 - Steven Moffat
2 - Toby Whithouse
3 - Neil Gaiman
4 - Catherine Tregenna
5 - Paul Cornell
6 - Paul Cornell
7 - Neil Cross
8 - Steven Moffat
9 - Wendy West
10 - Russel T Davies
11 - Steven Moffat
12 - Steven Moffat

Comments

• Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Ben Wheatley. It would be a very dark and surreal doctor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q74ZxSURlbU&hd=1

(Edit - Just googled and he's already directed two episodes for the forthcoming series. Guess I should be a producer!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad that someone thinks the same as me. My favorite writers are Moffat, Cornell and Cross.

Anyway, here is my ideal writers line up:

Steven Moffat - I really like his arcs and I find his writing very clever. I never understood people who are complaining about too much timey-wimey. That's like complaining about too much spooky scenes in a horror movie. Timey-wimey makes DW original, different from other Sci-Fi shows. Although, I'd like him to write some stand-alone episodes too. He is very good at it (remember The Girl in a Fireplace and Blink). Just because he is the showrunner, doesn't mean that he shouldn't write some stand-alone episodes too.

Neil Cross - I liked both Rings of Akhaten and Hide.

Paul Cornell - Human Nature / The Family of Blood is my favorite story. He is very good in writing emotional and deep stories.

J. K. Rowling - It might be my dream, but one of my biggest DW wishes is to see an episode written by J. K. Rowling. Some people complain about lack of social realism in DW. I strongly disagree!!!!! I think that Doctor Who is not bizarre enough. I'd like to see some HarryPotter-style, Matrix-style or Alice-style episodes. What's wrong with a bit of magic in Doctor Who??

As for others, I liked Whithouse and Gaiman. And I think that Frank Cottrell Boyce will be a great DW writter.

So, my ideal season would be:

1. Steven Moffat - an introduction
    2. Paul Cornell - dark and emotional episode, sequel of introduction
    3. J. K. Rowling - stand-alone two-parter, full of magic and fantasy stuff
    4. J. K. Rowling - stand-alone two-parter, full of magic and fantasy stuff
    5. Steven Moffat - stand-alone spooky episode, full of timey-wimey
    6. Neil Cross - historical and emotional two parter, important for arc
    7. Neil Cross - historical and emotional two parter, important for arc
    8. Frank Cottrell Boyce
    9. Steven Moffat - a key to the finale
    10. Paul Cornell - character development episode
    11. Neil Gaiman or Toby Whithouse - bizzare entertaining stand-alone episode before finale
    12. Steven Moffat - two parter finale, full of timey-wimey
    13. Steven Moffat - two parter finale, full of timey-wimey
    X. Steven Moffat - Christmassy Christmas special
  • FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    1. Steven Moffat
    2. Helen Raynor
    3. Sir Peter Jackson
    4. Neil Gaiman
    5. Toby Whithouse (1)
    6. Toby Whithouse (2)
    7. Steven Moffat
    8. Mark Gatiss
    9. Phil Ford
    10. Gareth Roberts
    11. Steven Moffat (1)
    12. Steven Moffat (2)

:)
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    My ideal series would see Toby Whithouse serving as showrunner, so...

01 - Toby Whithouse
    02 - Gareth Roberts
    03 - Tom MacRae
    04 - Helen Raynor
    05 - Toby Whithouse
    06 - Toby Whithouse
    07 - Adrian Hodges
    08 - Steven Moffat
    09 - Catherine Treganna
    10 - Russell T Davies
    11 - Toby Whithouse
    12 - Toby Whithouse

Decided to chuck in five episodes from the show runner, including two 2-parters. Also threw in two new writers - including a new female writer I particularly like. She did a few very decent episodes of Torchwood. Then there is also Adrian Hodges of Primeval - I quite like his stuff too, and he delivered the very decent The Lost World for the BBC back in 2001.

Chucked Moffat in as he has some great ideas and I think it's best when given in small doses. And I'd love to see RTD back at some point too of course. :)

I'm also for having Peter Jackson serve as a director for a two-part story...or an extended Christmas special filmed in New Zealand :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    In no particular order:

Steven Moffat
    Paul Cornell
    Neil Cross
    Toby Whithouse
    Keith Temple
    Richard Curtis
    Matt Jones
    Robert Shearman
    Phil Ford