TV failure survey

A lot of new tvs breakdown in the first 6 months to 18 months.
I'am interested to know how many of these tvs are wall mounted. Does wall mounting put more strain on the tv than free standing, or is the breakdown numbers equal between the two. Thanks for any feed back in advance.

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,449
    Forum Member
    jono t wrote: »
    I'am interested to know how many of these tvs are wall mounted. Does wall mounting put more strain on the tv than free standing, or is the breakdown numbers equal between the two. Thanks for any feed back in advance.

Wall mounting has no effect at all - however, you are also incorrect that a 'lot' of new TV's break down in the first 6 to 18 months. Small numbers of sets do, with most of them been the cheap junk sets.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wall mounting has no effect at all - however, you are also incorrect that a 'lot' of new TV's break down in the first 6 to 18 months. Small numbers of sets do, with most of them been the cheap junk sets.

So am I right in thinking that the air vents at the back and top of these tvs can function properly at 1 to 2 cm from the wall, the reason I ask is in my panny manual it says to allow 10 cm air flow, back and top. Also gravity pulling a 20kg tv from the wall must put so strain on the frame and screen.
  • webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are designed to be put on a wall (as well as a stand) so would have been tested like that. If its on a wall there will be a chimney effect which sucks cold air in at the bottom and lets it out as hot air at the top. This creates good airflow.
    Forum Member
    So am I right in thinking that the air vents at the back and top of these tvs can function properly at 1 to 2 cm from the wall, the reason I ask is in my panny manual it says to allow 10 cm air flow, back and top. Also gravity pulling a 20kg tv from the wall must put so strain on the frame and screen.

Instructions usually specify the air flow required around the set, and you should follow then - generally the requirement is for below and above, in order to allow good convection flow.

There's no more strain on the screen than otherwise, as the chassis is supported (just as normal) and the screen hangs on the chassis (so it's no different at all). If anything the chassis is BETTER supported when wall mounted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I started this thread, what I was after was personal experiances, of breakdowns, and to find out how many breakdowns were wall mounted and how many were free standing.It may have a interesting out come.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    How many wall-mounted ones are above a fireplace or radiator? All that extra localised heat is not good.
    Forum Member
    When I started this thread, what I was after was personal experiances, of breakdowns, and to find out how many breakdowns were wall mounted and how many were free standing.It may have a interesting out come.

Which was why I replied - I see large numbers of sets per year, and (as I said) wall mounting has no effect at all on reliability.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which was why I replied - I see large numbers of sets per year, and (as I said) wall mounting has no effect at all on reliability.

Thats your opinion Nigel, I would be nice to here from people first hand.
    Forum Member

That's a 'statistic', based on a fairly large sample size - and in actual fact a far higher sample size than you might imagine, as other engineers (in the UK and elsewhere) find just the same.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

Why? Nigel's information will be better than hundreds of individual posters giving their thoughts as he deals with TV's all of the time.

Do you just want someone to agree with you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Why? Nigel's information will be better than hundreds of individual posters giving their thoughts as he deals with TV's all of the time.

Do you just want someone to agree with you?

Does Nigel know wether the TV he's repairing was wallmounted or freestanding, eg, panasonic make out there 2010 models plasma are fab, but acording to the owners of theses TVs they have floating blacks and fading blacks over time, should we take panasonics word that these tv are working within spec, or the owners word of the floating blacks, thats why I asked for owners who have had a repair wether the Tv was wall mounted or freestanding.
  • figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Parents' JVC LCD lasted 18 months. It was table mounted.
    Forum Member
    Does Nigel know wether the TV he's repairing was wallmounted or freestanding.

Yes, freestanding sets come in with an attached pedestal mount, wall mounted ones have that missing, and brackets mounted to the set. It's not rocket science! :D

There's also the added 'hint' when you have to take it off the wall.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, freestanding sets come in with an attached pedestal mount, wall mounted ones have that missing, and brackets mounted to the set. It's not rocket science! :D

There's also the added 'hint' when you have to take it off the wall.

thanks Nigel, now maybe you could tell me the amount of tvs you have repaired that were wall mounted against the ones that were free standing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    thanks Nigel, now maybe you could tell me the amount of tvs you have repaired that were wall mounted against the ones that were free standing.

Whilst you are awaiting Nigel's response to your question, I'd say of all the flat panels that we see in our workshop for repair, only 5-10% of them are wall mounted.
    Forum Member

It's not something you ever bother counting - but I would assume similar to MIKEFL0, probably 5% or so?

I don't think anywhere near 10% of sets sold are wall mounted.

On a quick count at the moment, out of 15 sets in the workshop, only one is wall mounted - but that's far too small a sample to be significant.

Mostly there won't be any wall mounted sets in for repair in any one week, but occasionally you may get two a week.
  • figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it's the table top ones that fail mostly then. . .

[joke]
    Forum Member
    figrin_dan wrote: »
    So it's the table top ones that fail mostly then. . .

[joke]

But perfectly true :D
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    So, conclusive evidence that hanging a TV on a wall makes it last longer! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 93
    Forum Member

The numbers of breakdowns can never be equal between wall or table mounted sets because far far more are table mounted, Statistically speaking far more table mounted sets should breakdown than wall mounted simply because of their greater number. However what you are I think asking about is what is the breakdown ratio is of wall compared to table mounting.

If a ratio of 50% of wall mounted sets breakdown within six months and only 10% of table sets breakdown then it is obvious not to go with wall mounting, this is of course independent of numbers
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    In my sisters house the TV is suspended from the ceiling.....I'll let you know if it 'fails'..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    In my sisters house the TV is suspended from the ceiling.....I'll let you know if it 'fails'..
    Why the heck did they put the TV way up there? :confused:
  • webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SUSPENDED from the ceiling - not actually on the ceiling (probably). Unless it's watched while lying on the bed...
    Forum Member
    webbie wrote: »
    SUSPENDED from the ceiling - not actually on the ceiling (probably). Unless it's watched while lying on the bed...

I've seen one set fitted like that, it was a really nice job - two chrome poles came down through the ceiling, with the TV fitted to a metal plate fastened to them.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    I've seen one set fitted like that, it was a really nice job - two chrome poles came down through the ceiling, with the TV fitted to a metal plate fastened to them.

Yes, Nigel that is the sort of thing....It all looks really nice and of course all wiring is run through the pole (just one in their case). The speakers all emanate from the ceiling as well...All in all, a very tidy set up.
    Wouldn't work in mine unfortunately but ideal for her house layout.