Options

Karma Coming back to bite Scotland on the arse?

garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
Forum Member
The collapse of Scotlands infrastructure during the last couple of days during the snow

Aren't they always saying they cope fine and its just the South which is illprepared and never copes.

Or is it all bollocks and the truth is sometimes we're all caught by surprise?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    garyessex wrote: »
    The collapse of Scotlands infrastructure during the last couple of days during the snow

Aren't they always saying they cope fine and its just the South which is illprepared and never copes.

Guess.

I'll give you a clue, it's the bolded line above :D
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I wasn't aware anybody in Scotland acted particularly smug about bad weather.
    Course, I've only lived here for 15 years so maybe I missed it.
  • Options
    NewBallsPleaseNewBallsPlease Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I wasn't aware anybody in Scotland acted particularly smug about bad weather.
    Course, I've only lived here for 15 years so maybe I missed it.

GaryEssex said "they are always saying....", which means they must have.
    Because I'm sure he wouldn't generalise.
  • Options
    Ricky D GervaisRicky D Gervais Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, they're not. So...moot thread, really.
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    People from the south are always saying people from the north say this about people from the south

it MUST be true!
  • Options
    Miss_TrustMiss_Trust Posts: 1,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People from the south are always saying people from the north say this about people from the south

it MUST be true!

The annoying part is that apparently it was all started by someone from the Midlands.
  • Options
    NewBallsPleaseNewBallsPlease Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it the 14th Century?
    The people from the north said it about the people from the south.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    I've only seen a few jokey comments from Scots, so you're making things up OP

• Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is the worst snow in Scotland in over 40 years so not too many people remember anything worse.
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Cheers Gary, saved me the trouble of describing the thread title :)
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The national news covered it, I take it? I think people trapped 24 hours on the M25 or London kids spending the night at school in -13 temperatures and heavy snow would be just as terrible and I wouldn't be smug. 'Wrong type of snow on the line' is another matter, even you English should have been annoyed at that!
  • Options
    calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

havent a clue what your on about...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm Scottish, and I've never said that England can't cope with snow. I've never heard anyone say it either. It's pretty bad form to gloat at people trapped overnight in cars, in -10 temperatures, no matter where they come from.
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You_mo wrote: »
    The national news covered it, I take it? I think people trapped 24 hours on the M25 or London kids spending the night at school in -13 temperatures and heavy snow would be just as terrible and I wouldn't be smug. 'Wrong type of snow on the line' is another matter, even you English should have been annoyed at that!

Most of us are, especiallly when you only get a 30 second snippet on the news, it's bloody diabolical.
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think any of us anywhere in the country cope well with snow, except maybe some of the regular road users in the higher and more remote parts of the Highlands who have vehicles that are designed for poor conditions, with appropriate tyres, and (most important of all) experience of driving in wintry weather.

Years ago I used to go out and practise driving in snow — and made some mistakes in the process — but I don't do it often enough now to be good at it.
  • Options
    calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jennymoo wrote: »
    I'm Scottish, and I've never said that England can't cope with snow. I've never heard anyone say it either. It's pretty bad form to gloat at people trapped overnight in cars, in -10 temperatures, no matter where they come from.
    So right Jennymoo.. we re too busy trying to get people home from work to make remarks about others... this is just daft.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone seems to have a mighty big icicle on their shoulder. I'm English and live in Scotland and have never heard anyone say that.
  • Options
    ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scotland coped quite well last week. Yesterday we had a dumping of snow that far exceeded forecasts, and caught everyone by surprise. It happens.
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's hope that karma comes to bite garyessex in the arse for making silly comments. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Miss_TrustMiss_Trust Posts: 1,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the OP's defence it isn't unheard of for us northerners to suggest southerners are a bit nesh - perhaps he's just misunderstood.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is the worst snow in Scotland in over 40 years so not too many people remember anything worse.

I do - 1963 was a cracker of a year, we had about 3 feet of snow in our garden near Glasgow. Our road was on a hill, and we used to go down a steep little path to the main road to catch the bus, it's a wonder no-one was killed, it was lethal! They tried to close it off several times with a fence, but the locals cut it down each time.

God, we were well hard in those days, and that was just the middle classes!
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jennymoo wrote: »

That is a scenario that totally terrifies me and I sympathise very much with those people
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    A friend of mine in Edinburgh sat on a bus for three hours yesterday to get to work. Usually a ten mile trip.

I wouldn't sit on a bus for that long. You never know what germs people have.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    Years ago I used to go out and practise driving in snow — and made some mistakes in the process — but I don't do it often enough now to be good at it.

Me neither, now that I live in the deep South! I remember when I was living in Glasgow, trying to get my car up the hill - you had to take a run at it, quick swing round the corner as fast as you could, then hope that your speed would take you most of the way up! These days I'd be too terrified to do it!
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This.

Just listen out to the next time major snow storms hit the US and see what happens...;)