Options

New firmware update freesat

123457»

Comments

• Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Maybe not a killer app as you say but I am suprised it was not there from the start as I could have used it a few times. Normally when watching something and deciding I'd like my wife to watch it too but not able to tape it from the beginning.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be happy to see the EPG increase in responsiveness. At times - and our HDD is not much more than 40% full - it can take a couple of seconds to respond a keypad press, infuriating while I've been planning our Christmas recordings. It seems to have got worse recently also.

Have we got any form of ETA for any update, or has it been cancelled to sell us a new box?
  • Options
    REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidredge wrote: »
    I'd be happy to see the EPG increase in responsiveness. At times - and our HDD is not much more than 40% full - it can take a couple of seconds to respond a keypad press, infuriating while I've been planning our Christmas recordings. It seems to have got worse recently also.

Have we got any form of ETA for any update, or has it been cancelled to sell us a new box?

I think that the GUIDE responsiveness may depend on what else it is doing at the same time. I think it's possibly down to the speed of the CPU.
    One thing that could be improved on the next model is to increase the receptor angle for the remote - it's way to narrow.

The update - Bob_Cat said it in testing and looking good a few weeks back - but also said - no promises.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    It's a tribute to the Humax engineering, and the quality of the mainstream UK channels, that we Hillels now use the Foxsat HDR as much as we use the Sky HD Service. I'm even considering buying a second box, depending on the timeline for the follow-on product. I wish BobCat and the team well over the coming year.
    The main reason I would like buffer recording is when you are watching something live and something important or interesting happens and you want to save it.
    I'd estimate that 25%+ of recordings on our Sky HD Box are from the live buffer - this feature, and live pause, are what we use on a daily basis. It's incredibly useful and we Hillels would no longer consider a stb that hadn't this feature.
    davidredge wrote: »
    I'd be happy to see the EPG increase in responsiveness.
    This is an example where an already good solution, could be excellent. The EPG is cached, as is Sky HD's, but on the Foxsat, the default EPG is "live update". Why?

On a general note, the feature set on the HDR is superb, and far ahead of Sky HD. The platform is also far more stable, with much less frequent lock-ups than my Sky box. The usability is good, but with a few tweaks, could be best in class. With Sky some operations are simply more intuitive - all down to the customer journey using the remote/EPG.
    (I get around this by using a Harmony Remote, to provide a level of consistency accross both platforms.)

It would be really useful if Humax produced a "Getting Started" guide for users, that they can keep handy. I understand that margins are tight, but it needn't cost much. (Sky produced an excellent one when they updated the Sky-HD EPG - it was well read in our house!)
    Press the ibutton (info button) once and then press the back button. Anytime the iplate is showing the back button works to shuffle back and forth between the two last channels.

An example of a useful feature that could be included in a "Getting Started" guide.