Options

Debit card without Verified by Visa?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Are there any current accounts left that don't force that steaming pile of dung Verified by Visa on to you?

I use NoScript and RequestPolicy (Firefox addons) which stop website spewing data where they like/running code willy nilly to increase security and whichever random domain name VbV uses this week always gets blocked, making paying for anything online incredibly frustrating.

That, and I don't want yet another password to remember for something I use maybe once a year.

Is there anyone left who doesn't make you use it? Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are there any current accounts left that don't force that steaming pile of dung Verified by Visa on to you?
    Well first of all I'd always be reluctant to use a debit card for internet purchases. If I really had no choice then any additional security process would be welcome. A credit card is a far safer choice simply because it's not your money being stolen. I don't much care how secure my CC is because it's my issuer's problem, not mine.

But by the by since '3D secure' was rolled out I've not had to enter a password for any of my transactions. I don't know if that's unique to MasterCard or if Visa are doing the same thing. I also don't know how/why I've suddenly been saved the bother. I still get directed to the 3d page but after a few seconds it just approves the transaction without me having to do anything.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

Verified by Visa, and the Mastercard equivalent are both pretty important in preventing fraud by ensuring if your card was stolen or lost it couldn't be used online.

That's not to mention that such systems actually also protect the retailer from liability (with old fashioned 'ordinary' MOTO transactions the liability falls on the retailer).

As a retailer who used to have an online store I wouldn't want somebody to be able to place an order without 3D authentication as I'd incur a loss if it was a fraudulent order.

As a cardholder would you really want a system whereby all somebody requires is the info on your card? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    But by the by since '3D verification' was rolled out I've not had to enter a password for any of my transactions.

This is true for many low risk transactions (ie. paying council tax online) and online stores you visit often, but I think the OP was more troubled by the fact his browser add-ons prevent 3D authentication from working at all in the first place.
  • Options
    dslrocksdslrocks Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    I have never bothered to complete the registration for VBV simply because it's yet another password to remember (and forget!). I always enter in my various personal information as if I'm going to enroll and just abandon the registration - works fine for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah balls, cheers for the info all.

I use a credit card online 99% of the time, but some places require you to use a debit card (paying a credit card bill for example). I mustn't really buy much online anyway as the Mastercard nag screen very rarely shows its face.

I had registered for it years ago when it was new but I had to complete the forgotten password form every time I used it which was a pain so I asked the bank to take it off. They did, but as soon as I used it again it forces you to re register.

I have doubts about the merit of VbV because if I lost my card, someone could bash in the debit card details online, use the forgotten password feature and the only extra info they need is DOB! If they found my wallet it's written on my driving licence, which I need to carry too as even though I'm nearly 30 I STILL get ID'd in supermarkets. But that's another rant...
  • Options
    itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bank with Lloyds and never get asked for the visa verification thing, the box appears but it just goes through without asking anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah balls, cheers for the info all.

I use a credit card online 99% of the time, but some places require you to use a debit card (paying a credit card bill for example). I mustn't really buy much online anyway as the Mastercard nag screen very rarely shows its face.

I had registered for it years ago when it was new but I had to complete the forgotten password form every time I used it which was a pain so I asked the bank to take it off. They did, but as soon as I used it again it forces you to re register.

I have doubts about the merit of VbV because if I lost my card, someone could bash in the debit card details online, use the forgotten password feature and the only extra info they need is DOB! If they found my wallet it's written on my driving licence, which I need to carry too as even though I'm nearly 30 I STILL get ID'd in supermarkets. But that's another rant...

Hmmm... you've got me thinking now.

I must admit, the last time I forgot my password for VbV, I'm 100% sure I had to answer three separate security-check questions, one of which was DOB, I think another was mothers maiden name, and one other.
    I bank with Lloyds and never get asked for the visa verification thing, the box appears but it just goes through without asking anything.

This is the case much of the time. All it means is that the Visa computers have assessed the transaction as being low risk.

You should only be asked the password for 'suspicious' or at the very least potentially shady transactions.

As aforementioned I never get asked for the password when paying Council Tax or electricity bills online, or Just-Eat (who I order from a lot :D); but I always get asked when I do things like order stationery from VistaPrint (who are based abroad) and on the rare occasion I'll use a service like William Hill (bookies).
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well first of all I'd always be reluctant to use a debit card for internet purchases. If I really had no choice then any additional security process would be welcome. A credit card is a far safer choice simply because it's not your money being stolen. I don't much care how secure my CC is because it's my issuer's problem, not mine.

I hardly ever use anything but a debit card.

With a credit card, people can withdraw amounts up to the credit limit (£1000s in my case). You may or may not get it back, but it's something you have to pursue.

With a debit, they are limit to how much is available. (Admittedly still quite a lot at times, but I also have an Electron card which currently has £20 on it; that's the extent of my liability.)

Debit cards also don't generally attract surcharges. (And, most important for me, I don't forget about the purchase until weeks later when I get the statement and realise I've spent the money on something else, or then put it aside, and forget about the payment due date and get lumbered with late payment charges.)

(Credit cards provide some payment protection, but that's something I've rarely had to use. I also don't like the way it works: you buy something for £4900 cash + £100 on the credit card, but the card company is liable for the whole £5K. That's wrong.)
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just buy from Amazon. They don't use VBV (or the Mastercard equivalent).

Paypal doesn't use it either so you could use any retailer which accepts payment by them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    With a credit card, people can withdraw amounts up to the credit limit (£1000s in my case). You may or may not get it back, but it's something you have to pursue.
    You've completely misunderstood my point and apparently the difference between paying by CC and DC, With a CC there is no need to 'get it back'. The CC issuer has had to pay it but to you it's just it's just a transaction on your bill. You tell your issuer that it's fraudulent and they strike it off. At no point are you personally out of pocket. Only your issuer has to worry about 'getting it back' and that's their problem, not yours. Once you've got them to adjust your bill you can forget all about it.

Credit cards only occasionally attract a surcharge and apart from DVLA I've never come across it online. Using a DC online is a bad idea. Using a CC is as good as it gets.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The bank sent me a new bank card, which I used today, and the system made be set up a new verified code. From memory, I haven't had to enter the code with every purchase. Just some.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've completely misunderstood my point and apparently the difference between paying by CC and DC, With a CC there is no need to 'get it back'.
    It'll appear as a charge on your statement which you will still be obliged to pay by the due date, unless you dispute it.
    Credit cards only occasionally attract a surcharge and apart from DVLA I've never come across it online. Using a DC online is a bad idea. Using a CC is as good as it gets.
    I see surcharges online all the time. (Car parks, tickets, ferries, flights etc.) (You don't see them in shops possibly because it's illegal to discriminate.)

So I use debit cards in the UK, because they are cheaper and far more hassle-free (nearly as good as cash), and credit cards abroad (but only because debit cards incur charges).

Certainly a shop will prefer debit cards although they are not allowed to say so: they avoid cash-handling costs, and also the hefty percentage fees on each transaction that they get with credit cards. They also know they will get the money without the claw-back that is possible with CCs, often through card-holders themselves making fraudulent claims.

So shopkeepers pay for the all the benefits you mention, as well as card-holders in higher fees and interest rates.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's a nuisance every time it comes up. At first I kept forgetting passwords too, and I didn't think it gives many goes at getting it right before it blocks you.

Then, it won't tell you what it was, you have to think of a new one (but it knows enough to tell you it's the same as the old password, and that's not allowed!).

Consequently, all my passwords are the same but tend to end in 1, 2, 3 etc. The next reset, it'll end in 4.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll appear as a charge on your statement which you will still be obliged to pay by the due date, unless you dispute it.

That's the whole point. Why wouldn't you dispute an unrecognised transaction immediately? I wouldn't even wait for my statement to arrive. I check my account online every few days. As soon as you raise the dispute there is no obligation to pay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    That's the whole point. Why wouldn't you dispute an unrecognised transaction immediately? I wouldn't even wait for my statement to arrive. I check my account online every few days. As soon as you raise the dispute there is no obligation to pay.

I did that once with a dispute over damage to a rented car (the car rental company were either crooks, or incompetent). But not until I'd tried to negatiate with them, by which time it had been paid. It took a couple of months for the CC company to reimburse me.

That wasn't the end of it however, as about a year later, the major car rental company behind the local one tried to re-claim the money via a debt collection agency (with no success so far).
  • Options
    panixspanixs Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did that once with a dispute over damage to a rented car (the car rental company were either crooks, or incompetent). But not until I'd tried to negatiate with them, by which time it had been paid. It took a couple of months for the CC company to reimburse me.

That wasn't the end of it however, as about a year later, the major car rental company behind the local one tried to re-claim the money via a debt collection agency (with no success so far).

That is not a fraudulent transaction. You gave them your CC number and would have agreed in signing paperwork that they could claim from it for damages. So this transaction is a dispute not fraud. If it was fraudulent the bank will take it off your statement straight away you wont have to pay anything.
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anywhere that doesn't provide a Visa debit card. Off the top of my head, that's Clydesdale and Yorkshire banks. They do Maestro/MasterCard debit cards instead, which use MasterCard's securecode. Doubt if that will work any better for you, though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 238
    Forum Member

Same for me. No matter if I am at home or out and about.. I find that really odd.
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see surcharges online all the time. (Car parks, tickets, ferries, flights etc.) (You don't see them in shops possibly because it's illegal to discriminate.)
    Discriminate against what? Discrimination is only illegal if it is a protected characteristic - as defined by the Equality Act - that is being discriminated against.

Passing on card processing fees to customers is perfectly legal.
    So I use debit cards in the UK, because they are cheaper and far more hassle-free (nearly as good as cash), and credit cards abroad (but only because debit cards incur charges).
    For me, I do the opposite. I use credit cards for all my main purchases due to the extra protections you get from Section 75 of the consumer credit act, and I have a debit card with zero fees for foreign transactions so I tend to use that for day-to-day purchases abroad.
    Certainly a shop will prefer debit cards although they are not allowed to say so: they avoid cash-handling costs, and also the hefty percentage fees on each transaction that they get with credit cards. They also know they will get the money without the claw-back that is possible with CCs, often through card-holders themselves making fraudulent claims.

So shopkeepers pay for the all the benefits you mention, as well as card-holders in higher fees and interest rates.
    BIB - Sure they are. They don't because people would likely vote with their feet and shop elsewhere, but if every shop decided to pass on card handling fees to the customer then people would have no choice but to pay if they wanted to use credit cards.

Besides, there's an argument that everyone pays for them anyway as major retailers almost certainly factor the overall costs of accepting card payments into their pricing model anyway.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    some places require you to use a debit card (paying a credit card bill for example)

Which credit card providers don't allow you to pay by BACS?
  • Options
    HoffmisterHoffmister Posts: 12,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only use debit card for lotto as there is no other way to pay

But every mooing time it tells me my password is wrong, so I reset it, write it down..but next time guess ...I can change it then go back 2 mins later and guess what...Ive now memorised the reset info and just click on reset password rather than try the password
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    Besides, there's an argument that everyone pays for them anyway as major retailers almost certainly factor the overall costs of accepting card payments into their pricing model anyway.

All forms of payment has associated costs. For cash the takings have to be counted, transported and banked plus there is the security risk of having large amounts of cash on the premises
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    Discriminate against what? Discrimination is only illegal if it is a protected characteristic - as defined by the Equality Act - that is being discriminated against.

Passing on card processing fees to customers is perfectly legal.

So a shop is allowed to have a discount for cash, or even a debit card, or a surcharge for a credit card?

I think recent changes stipulate that any surcharges should reflect actual costs, but I don't know if that happens in shops anyway. At least I don't recall seeing discounts or surcharges for different forms of payment, only sometimes minimum transaction amounts.

But I would be annoyed if I paid £100 by debit card and the shop got £99.80 of that, and the next person paid £100 by credit card and the shop eventually got £98.00 if they were lucky. Is that £2 deficit being subsidised by higher prices for everyone? Something doesn't seem quite fair.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But I would be annoyed if I paid £100 by debit card and the shop got £99.80 of that, and the next person paid £100 by credit card and the shop eventually got £98.00 if they were lucky. Is that £2 deficit being subsidised by higher prices for everyone? Something doesn't seem quite fair.
    Well no, it's business and commerce so fairness is not really on the table. It never was. Businesses have always charged based on what they can get away with rather than the actual value of the goods or services they provide.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FSCKING crappy VbV has failed AGAIN changing my car insurance, I really hate this pile of crap. No idea if it has gone through or not. God, it absolutely boils my blood.
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Which credit card providers don't allow you to pay by BACS?

Probably none, at the time I had a DD coming out to pay the last payment on a card but just wanted it done and dusted early so was going to pay it with the debit card.