Options

People who say they are 'fans' of an act when they only know one or a few songs?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    The point about the T-Shirt thing is that some of these T-shirt designs are works of art.
    Motorhead's War-pig was designed by the artist Joe Petagno and The Ramones logo was designed by Arturo Vega. Yes, they are both representative visually of the essence of those bands but they stand up in their own right. And you don't have to know every last Motorhead or Ramones song to know what the logos mean.

Rock and pop music are visual as well as musical mediums. Mick Jagger's lips have a visual significance well beyond the band's music. The same could be said for Marley's Dreads look, Sex Pistols 'Never Mind the Bollocks' paper cuts or Bowie's 'Aladdin Sane' face makeup.

I used to have a Yes T-Shirt because I thought the Roger Dean stuff looked great though the music was naff.

Oh, come on! You're not telling me that all those kids that wandered round in T-Shirts with "Ramones" written on the front were fans of Arturo Vega or bought the shirt because they liked the logo. Maybe one did but the rest just wore them because it was seen as "trendy" or because some "celebrity" wore one and they thought it would make them look cool. Superficial bollocks.

If I saw a T-Shirt and thought the logo was the best thing I'd ever seen but it was a Britney Spears logo or a band I'd never heard of I wouldn't even contemplate wearing one. In exactly the same way that (if I ever wore sports clothes) I'd never buy a Man Utd shirt and wear that.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going back to people talking, I was at one gig by the folk singer Juliet Turner where she actually stopped the show and told the people talking to "shut the f**k up", saying how she'd really been looking forward to playing in London again and they were totally spoiling it for her. I've been to a few venues that have signs up saying 'If you're here for drinks and chat with your mates then you're in the wrong place", or 'People talking excessively whilst the bands are onstage will be asked to leave".
    I find the problem is usually worse during the support acts, which in a way is understandable as a lot of the crowd won't be interested because that's not who they've come to see. However I do like to try and listen to the support, even when I've never heard of them and/or don't know their material, because you never know who you might discover, and there are more than a few acts that I've gone on to follow and become a fan of through first seeing them as a support act.
  • Options
    BikoBiko Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kings of leon definitely, i think sex on fire is an awful song. They had great albums before then that not many "fans" bother to check out cos they think sex on fire was their first song.

Those people that wear ramones t shirts but the only song they know its blitzkreig bop.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisqc wrote: »

Except for maybe Madonna they always play most if not all of their hits

This is the one thing about a Madonna gig that irritates me. It is full of casual fans who think Vogue came out yesterday and when she dares sing songs from her latest albums; they speak so loudly over everybody elses enjoyment that they end up spoiling it for others. I got pushed over at hyde Park because so many people were more interested in paying for beer (they were thick - the price was £5 per pint or 4 for £20!) that they were buying 4 pints at a time as they thought it was on offer!) "What's this song? Never heard this one!" "When is she going to sing Holiday?" is all you ever hear!

Yes, it could be argued that maybe she should sing more classics, but then if I was going to a gig with a friend of an act I wasn't overly familiar with, I'd try and listen to as much of their stuff, old and new, as I could before going. It is far more enjoyable.

For the record, in the MDNA tour, alongside her latest material, she sang the following:

Papa Don't Preach
    Open Your Heart
    Human Nature
    Vogue
    Like A Virgin
    Express Yourself
    Hung Up
    Like A Prayer

So, maybe not enough to satisy casuals, but plenty to keep her die-hard fans happy.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neil_N wrote: »
    Kings of Leon - 'Use Somebody' and 'Sex on Fire'
    Kings of Leon "fans"[...]all simply because of one line in one song ("YEAAAAAAAAAAHHHOOHHHH, MY SEX IS ON FIRE") and that being the only reason anyone wants to see them.
    Biko wrote: »
    They had great albums before then that not many "fans" bother to check out cos they think sex on fire was their first song.

Yep, Kings of Leon were the first group which came to mind when I read the opening post, for those reasons!
  • Options
    Thom001Thom001 Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tejas wrote: »
    Lucky! I pretty much agree with you on Bobby, he was a legend and what a voice! I saw him perform with Gorillaz on their 'Plastic Beach' tour, he was only on stage for a couple of songs but I felt really pleased to witness that, and was really sad when he passed away.

Yep, I knew that they managed to get him on the tour despite the fact he had been diagnosed with Prostate Cancer at the same time. :( I do know he sang on 'Stylo' alongside the rapper, Mos Def and it is through that song that I got into him :D You have made me really interested to go and find out those other songs he sang on. :D