Options

Great Canal Journies

Comments

• Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    I am starting to think it is Tim who has a problem and Pru is playing a part to pander to his view on things.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    I am starting to think it is Tim who has a problem and Pru is playing a part to pander to his view on things.

Wow, you must have spent all of a second pondering whether to post that or not, can't imagine you spent any longer thinking about it.
    Guardian link.
    Radio 4 Joan Bakewell: Suppose I lose it. spurred by Joan's friend Prunella's illness.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daicoll wrote: »
    I thought it was "wonderful" of Mr West who is fully aware of his wife's condition to lose his temper with her. He has gone down in my estimation of him. And simply steering the boat while his wife does all the hard work is a bit much. I could say much more but it would mean using swear words.. please Channel 4 ...dump Mr West
    What hard work is she doing? Standing on the bank holding a rope is not hard!
    With steering you have to concentrate and correct your steering and plan ahead if you wish to stop, as it takes time to do this. Plus if you want to manoeuvre at low speed, that can be hard , as if you go too slowly , you lose steerage and can't manoeuvre. She doesn't like being in a lock either, so perhaps he feels she isn't really up to it anymore.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daicoll wrote: »
    I thought it was "wonderful" of Mr West who is fully aware of his wife's condition to lose his temper with her. He has gone down in my estimation of him. And simply steering the boat while his wife does all the hard work is a bit much. I could say much more but it would mean using swear words.. please Channel 4 ...dump Mr West
    Don't forget both of them 'shared' their lives with the viewer for just 4 hours out of one month....Pru's husband lives with her 24/7/365.

That they've been married for 52 years pretty much tells you they have a solid marriage and it's quite obvious from the short glimpse we had, both love and care for each other.

So Tim gets a bit crotchety now and then. Big deal. Don't most normal husbands and wives?

As for "simply steering the boat while his wife does all the hard work"....Pru tried, but she can't. That's why she has a loving husband who can and does.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    With steering you have to concentrate and correct your steering and plan ahead if you wish to stop, as it takes time to do this. Plus if you want to manoeuvre at low speed, that can be hard , as if you go too slowly , you lose steerage and can't manoeuvre. She doesn't like being in a lock either, so perhaps he feels she isn't really up to it anymore.

Well we've all seen Tim make steering the boat and making it look like hard work :)
    Not that I'm getting involved in this having a go at Tim thing, I really didn't think he was 'that' bad myself, but I'm a proper misery he's a lightweight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well we've all seen Tim make steering the boat and making it look like hard work :)
    He's definitely had some shockers - one where he tried to demolish a lock gate!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's definitely had some shockers - one where he tried to demolish a lock gate!

Pru and Tim were surprised that locks were worked by keepers in Scotland, I'm amazed that locks are user operated on most of England 's canals.

Lock gates holding back millions of tons of water, the wetlands of England moments away from disaster, entrusted to clueless Daphne and Trevor, weekend bargees from Goole ?
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member

Have you opened and shut lock gates? It is hard work and for Pru's age she does brilliant. I hope I am as agile as her when I am that age.
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the locks on German rivers are manned. I spent a week going down the Mosel from trier to Koblenz many years ago. It was great and so was the very cheap wine that they make in that region.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    Have you opened and shut lock gates? It is hard work and for Pru's age she does brilliant. I hope I am as agile as her when I am that age.
    Yes, but it is only hard work if you are impatient. I suspect that they tie up and both do the locks or partner up with another boat - which is far easier.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Daphne and Trevor, weekend bargees from Goole ?
    Are the tidal locks in Goole docks still in use?
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    As opposed to Timothy West who is always so calm and polite..............except when he's ranting and raving angrily at his (ill) wife when she is doing her best. Saying sorry afterwards (for the cameras) doesnt excuse this. I may be in the minority but I find him an aggresive miserable grumpy old man. Pru on the other hand is simply lovely.
    I feel sure that he could have had all his grumpiness edited out if he had wanted to,
    shanders wrote: »
    The Falkirk Wheel looks amazing. As does the horses heads.
    Totally agree. These canals are new to me and I learnt a lot.
    Thought we might have seen a bit more of the wheel in action. It just cut from the top to the bottom, would have been handy to see a shot at the halfway point from the inside and from afar.
    Manned locks? Complimentary moorers next !
    Financed by the English taxpayer.

Working a flight of locks is hard work. However, she didn't need to be on the boat. She could have waited on the bank
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Don't forget both of them 'shared' their lives with the viewer for just 4 hours out of one month....Pru's husband lives with her 24/7/365.
    Except when he is on EE.

I love this program. John Sergeant. Weep and read.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Financed by the English taxpayer.

Is that you Paranoidman ?
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely the hoards of camera crew help them loads "Off Camera" a la "Top Gear", I doubt that they could do it all on their own, now anyway.
  • Options
    AngiBearAngiBear Posts: 2,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shanders wrote: »
    The Falkirk Wheel looks amazing. As does the horses heads.

The Falkirk Wheel is great but I wanted it to go much faster, maybe just the fact that I love scary rides at the shows. We were at the front too which was great coming back as you were just suspended in the air looking out at the view.

The Kelpies are fantastic too, much larger in real life than you think and now that they have a cafe opened and some walks nearby its lovely on a hot day (not that we get that many in Scotland). Last year during the Commonwealth Games they had maquettes of them up at Glasgow University.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    However, she didn't need to be on the boat. She could have waited on the bank
    You misunderstand, not liking being in the lock was one reason why she does not steer.

I'll concede that in my haste to defend Tim, I have understated her role, though I stick with them working locks together or with another boat off camera.
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,900
    Forum Member
    Series two starts this evening, another four episodes.
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought series two had already been shown?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah you're right. Even though my TV listing is showing the entry as "NEW" and there's no R subscript, it looks like a repeat of series one.
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    Yeah you're right. Even though my TV listing is showing the entry as "NEW" and there's no R subscript, it looks like a repeat of series one.
    Yes, it is a repeat of series one. Showing as a repeat on my TiVo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    New series starting Sunday 25th October, Teddington to Littlehampton. Just three episodes in this run.

Think I'm right this time.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    New series starting Sunday 25th October, Teddington to Littlehampton. Just three episodes in this run.

Looking forward to this.
  • Options
    mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I hope Pru's alright in this series. It seemed she was a little bit more unwell in the second one.
  • Options
    cliveb2005cliveb2005 Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is this BRAND NEW, or just new to channel 4, having been premiered on one of the other '4' channels earlier in the year?
  • Options
    WendoleneWendolene Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    Thanks you so much for the head's up to this.

We have loved every moment of the previous series. Very gentle, and love the repartee between Tim and Pru.

Timer is set just in case!