Options

Busker's letter to Noel Gallagher about working class music

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
Forum Member
Just stumbled across this article on Gigwise featuring an open letter from a busker called Longy to Noel Gallagher about his recent comments on working class music.

I thought it would be one of those "cry for attention" kinda things, but actually he makes some really good points, it was a great read!

Interested to hear other people's opinion on this as I'm a huge fan of Noel but I find myself agreeing with everything Longy is saying. There's been loads said recently about the gentrification of the arts and I think it's good that the discussion is now focussing on music too.

http://www.gigwise.com/news/99536/noel-gallagher-working-class-rock-attitude-attacked-by-longy

Comments

• Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did find Noel Gallagher whinging about the lack of working class rock amusing since he abandoned those roots long, long ago and has become very middle class himself.

Frankly Longy is spot on
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why should Noel do something about it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    Why should Noel do something about it?
    1) He's complaining about it
    2) He is in a position to do something about it
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Like what? The letter doesn't specify. It's not like being signed means much in this day and age.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Working class bands need to do it for themselves. Not write snooty open letters.
  • Options
    ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Please create a record label and sign us" seems to be the gist.
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ng has a point though... Where is the anger? The frustration? The rebellion and protests against injustice in rock these days? And please dont tell me to search for it, because if its not getting mainstream attention its not working.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ng has a point though... Where is the anger? The frustration? The rebellion and protests against injustice in rock these days? And please dont tell me to search for it, because if its not getting mainstream attention its not working.

David Bowie said that in a post-internet age, music will be like tap water. A constant flow people don't think much about.

And he was right. The days of music as social commentary are long gone.
  • Options
    SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ng has a point though... Where is the anger? The frustration? The rebellion and protests against injustice in rock these days.

To be honest I don't recall any of those things being in Oasis's music much either. Aside from the Punk movement, maybe the grunge movement and odd individual acts like The Boss, The Smiths and RATM - there hasn't be a lot of that Rock music really. I associate those more with Rap and Folk music to be honest.
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    David Bowie said that in a post-internet age, music will be like tap water. A constant flow people don't think much about.

Kendrick Lamar's new record, one of the biggest sellers of the year so far, couldn't be more politically and socially relevant.
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the discussion has been thrown off course slightly by the guy from the Sleaford Mods criticising Noel for not saying anything about being working class in his music. As others have said, political commentary wasn't the name of the game for Oasis, but no one was in any doubt of their background. They connected who they were and where they were from in a different way, a way that was highly effective.
  • Options
    AdamskAdamsk Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest I don't recall any of those things being in Oasis's music much either. Aside from the Punk movement, maybe the grunge movement and odd individual acts like The Boss, The Smiths and RATM - there hasn't be a lot of that Rock music really. I associate those more with Rap and Folk music to be honest.[/QUOTE

The thing is with that bands came at time when young people were anger and was in that time frame only.

That seam a lot diffrent now that they get everything the want.

Downloads,Talent Shows You Tube.

Radio just play whatever,the record companys toss at them not what the people want kind of like politics.If it's not tacky or booty shake like Cyrus dont play it that their policy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kendrick Lamar's new record, one of the biggest sellers of the year so far, couldn't be more politically and socially relevant.

Shame UK artists didn't get the memo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest I don't recall any of those things being in Oasis's music much either. Aside from the Punk movement, maybe the grunge movement and odd individual acts like The Boss, The Smiths and RATM - there hasn't be a lot of that Rock music really. I associate those more with Rap and Folk music to be honest.

ok...so i missed out 'social commentary'..:p

the 60's were littered with such comments, from the kinks, animals, small faces, yardbirds... then from punk/new wave onwards throughout the 80's such topics were commonplace.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new rebellion is not in music.

It tv that does that now and books.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adamsk wrote: »
    The new rebellion is not in music.

It tv that does that now and books.

i dont understand how that would work, nor why it shouldnt transfer to music.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i dont understand how that would work, nor why it shouldnt transfer to music.

It can but it won't challenge it or talking about.Fact is young people now would rather watch GOT and read a book,than search for another Nirvana or Sex Pistol.Radio would rather Cheryl Lloyd track than play another Nirvana or White Stripe track if they got back together tomorrow.And there force to do it not they want to put it on.Plus there no movement for it anymore like there was in the 90's.

Plus if it's rock music you want it very Limp now.

you can see why NME is in decline now it crap pavement style bands that have no like Speedy Ortiz or something there called and they sound out of tune a voice that put you too sleep than rebel
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the discussion has been thrown off course slightly by the guy from the Sleaford Mods criticising Noel for not saying anything about being working class in his music. As others have said, political commentary wasn't the name of the game for Oasis, but no one was in any doubt of their background. They connected who they were and where they were from in a different way, a way that was highly effective.

A Noel Gallagher of 2015 isn't going to talk about anything remotely working class which is fair enough. But has the lead singer of this band listened to any of the lyrics of Definitely Maybe? The songs were completely about working class life.
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    A Noel Gallagher of 2015 isn't going to talk about anything remotely working class which is fair enough. But has the lead singer of this band listened to any of the lyrics of Definitely Maybe? The songs were completely about working class life.

Spot on, Cigarettes & Alcohol for example is practically a working class anthem:

"Cigarettes & Alcohol"

Is it my imagination
    Or have I finally found something worth living for?
    I was looking for some action
    But all I found was cigarettes and alcohol

You could wait for a lifetime
    To spend your days in the sunshine
    You might as well do the white line
    Cos when it comes on top . . .

You gotta make it happen!

Is it worth the aggravation
    To find yourself a job when there's nothing worth working for?
    It's a crazy situation
    But all I need are cigarettes and alcohol!

You could wait for a lifetime
    To spend your days in the sunshine
    You might as well do the white line
    Cos when it comes on top . . .

You gotta make it happen!

Their entire career was all about being working class and escaping that through music.
  • Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »

In pop music perhaps, but thats been on the decline since the late 70s when manufactured pop became much smarter to make than hedging your bets on the next big thing.

Plenty of music is still full of social commentary, all different styles as well. From the Punk angst of Choking Victim to Hip Hop like Immortal Technique, its their, its just not going to reach the masses.

The concept of making it rich and big with rock music is pretty dead now, those days are over. But before you cry its the death of music, remember, rock came out as a stand against conformity, now its the safe haven of the boring (see anything Coldplay, anything at all, even the name is drab cardi wearing middle class tosh). Something will pick up the mantle, always will.

But this isnt something specific to rock either, metal has its fair share of middle class meanderings. Hip Hop has plenty of middle class "gangstas", and thats a split in its respective community as well.