Oppo Find 7

TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,711
Forum Member
✭✭
Just thought I'd post a heads-up as this QHD phone is £300 or so now, so filled the gap the Nexus 5 left as a relatively inexpensive flagship. I flashed Nameless ROM 5.1 and another patch to unify the internal storage and that removes its two flaws (ColorOS and a bizarrely meagre /data partition. Now got around 29GB internal storage + 32GB removable SD card. The battery is also removable which is another plus point.

I am very happy with it now and the screen is lovely - nameless ROM adds some Find 7 calibration and screen enhancements not available within ColorOS (nameless ROM is based on Cyanogenmod 12 so is solid).

Just in case anyone's in the market for a £300 beast. The later versions of ColorOS do allow you to unify the storage but none are OTA as yet, so its a manual flash via recovery (very straightforward) if you want to stick to stock. ColorOS isn't terrible but hasn't gone to Lollipop yet, hence why I went to another ROM.

Comments

• GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    Oppo's support of this device is laughable. Why should you have to flash a custom ROM in order to make up for Oppo's crap device support.
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigabit wrote: »
    Oppo's support of this device is laughable. Why should you have to flash a custom ROM in order to make up for Oppo's crap device support.

True for some but as I always root and want a more vanilla Android experience, it's a route I'd have taken anyway. A phone for techies and devs rather than those who don't want to mod their handset I guess.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It now appears Oppo are offering an optional vanilla Android Lollipop update plus there's a Lollipop based ColorOS version coming in May - details here for anyone interested.
    Forum Member
    Lollipop has only been out since November...

It's not even the newest version of Lollipop, i.e. 5.1. With 5.2 just around the corner, this phone will be two versions out of date! And this is the flagship!
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    Lollipop has only been out since November...

It's not even the newest version of Lollipop, i.e. 5.1. With 5.2 just around the corner, this phone will be two versions out of date! And this is the flagship!

In about the next 2 months, it will no longer be the flagship.

See now you complain about Lollipop not being the newest, I would go as far as 9/10 handsets don't have the latest either, save the GPE phones, Nexus range and those with "vanilla android". Fact is many devices are still receiving 5.01 never mind 5.1 or 5.2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aye Up wrote: »
    In about the next 2 months, it will no longer be the flagship.

See now you complain about Lollipop not being the newest, I would go as far as 9/10 handsets don't have the latest either, save the GPE phones, Nexus range and those with "vanilla android". Fact is many devices are still receiving 5.01 never mind 5.1 or 5.2.

You stole my thunder... I'd also like to add that although they may be sluggish getting major version updates out, Oppo's engagement with their customers is excellent and they actively seek improvement suggestions for the proprietary OS and new flashable betas are very regular for those who choose to apply them. I feel more involved and listened to than I ever did with, say, Samsung.
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    TheSloth wrote: »
    You stole my thunder... I'd also like to add that although they may be sluggish getting major version updates out, Oppo's engagement with their customers is excellent and they actively seek improvement suggestions for the proprietary OS and new flashable betas are very regular for those who choose to apply them. I feel more involved and listened to than I ever did with, say, Samsung.

Oppo I have to be fair, are well respected in both the West and East. There is a lot more goodwill from various websites and communities, sadly the same can't be said of their cousin OnePlus...

Most device manufacturers are slow rolling out any updates, I don't mind that personally. Lollipop has suffered from a few issues since launch; memory leak, battery life, audio control, the list is endless. All I care about is my phone working, I had held out since LL was released for my Note 4, Samsung appears to have mitigated the battery problems and it runs ok. Theres still a few quirks which I know are being rectified by google.
    Forum Member
    Yes OnePlus support is very poor. And there's the whole question about whether they really are a new company or not...
  • Denco1Denco1 Posts: 3,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think there is really any question that OnePlus is just a brand of OPPO, and I'd say that it paid off as most people ignored the usual stigma of Chinese products and focused on the low price and good specs. I would still buy a Find 7 over a OnePlus One personally as the Find 7 has band 20 support unlike the OnePlus One and also for the VOOC charging.