Great News! Schools dropping Christian assemblies

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
Forum Member
At last. More than 140 schools have won the right to opt out of the draconian legal requirement to provide a daily act of worship. They will be replaced with multi-faith session or 'moments of reflection'. At last the poor buggers can escape the crap that the christians peddle in these assemblies. Great news.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1335773/Schools-drop-Christian-assemblies-favour-multi-faith-moments-reflection.html

Comments

• BagpipesBagpipes Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member
    I like the idea of the kids discussing the news instead, much more useful for them. Religious assemblies belong to a bygone age.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, they should keep that in the domain of churches, mosques, synagogues etc.... Religious worship shouldn't enter into schools. Have it like the American system.
  • WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's certainly good news, though I'd not quite as put it as you did, OP :D
    irishguy wrote: »
    Have it like the American system.
    A daily Pledge? Don't really like the idea of that either, myself!
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All assemblies are a waste of time, religious or non. About time the whole concept was dropped.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WokStation wrote: »
    It's certainly good news, though I'd not quite as put it as you did, OP :D

A daily Pledge? Don't really like the idea of that either, myself!

Yikes - no not that. Keeping the promotion of religious worship outside of the classroom. Swearing allegiance to the flag is a little creepy.
  • TheDonkTheDonk Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another bit of britishness gone.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheDonk wrote: »

Eh? How is that British? Its anachronistic and most pupils and staff see it as a waste of time.
  • vanzandtfanvanzandtfan Posts: 8,897
    Forum Member
    Good news, but a 'moments of reflection' is pretty much what they used to do in my school. Looks to me like what was being done in practice has simply been recognised, rather than any drastic change of policy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    Indeed. Isn't it great?! Getting rid of all the bad bits.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why do they need assemblies at all? I hated them. Multi faith ones sound even worse.
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,863
    Forum Member
    What will they be singing? Eminem? Rihanna? Tinchy Stryder? - I feel sorry for the old dear that plays the piano
    Forum Member
    Good news, but a 'moments of reflection' is pretty much what they used to do in my school. Looks to me like what was being done in practice has simply been recognised, rather than any drastic change of policy

Evidently this isn't the case across the board. Moments of reflection don't need to include any fiction gods or religions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assemblies were used in my school primarily to read out school announcements. All the hymn singing and bible reading was just secondary to that. It would be easy to just read them out during registration instead.
  • Ricky D GervaisRicky D Gervais Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If by "britishness" you mean "time routinely wasted on fairy tales and other bullshit" then I agree.
  • darkmothdarkmoth Posts: 12,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At last. More than 140 schools have won the right to opt out of the draconian legal requirement to provide a daily act of worship. They will be replaced with multi-faith session or 'moments of reflection'. At last the poor buggers can escape the crap that the christians peddle in these assemblies. Great news.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1335773/Schools-drop-Christian-assemblies-favour-multi-faith-moments-reflection.html
    Non shock. The school I work in has not done religious assemblies for 15 years. Nor do they do any meaningful messaged or thought of the day.
    Apart from when the Inspectors are in, everyone pretends to obey the government rules then for 1 week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member

Ironically, Christianity is an imported religion, it originated in the Middle East.

Never had Christian assemblies until i went to sixth form, the head teacher there was a practicing Christian and insisted on saying prayers at the end. I used to keep my head up and remember getting some dirty looks on more than one occasion. I thought that (the dirty looks) was unreasonable, as far as i am aware you can't be forced to pray and it's not as if i was stopping anyone else from praying either. I was being far more respectful anyway, compared to the majority of people whom bent their heads in order to talk to their neighbours.
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's good news as long as the Christian worship isn't replaced by a different religion's worship.
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't see this as good news-just as yet another British tradition ditched in order to appease immigrants and minority groups.
  • mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see this as good news-just as yet another British tradition ditched in order to appease immigrants and minority groups.

the only requirement in the law was that there would be a daily act of worship the law doesnt specify which religion that act of worship should apply and often islamic schools have islamic acts of worship, Jewish; jewish acts of worship. However this discriminates against Atheists and agnostics religions that are british in origin.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the religious aspect of assemblies was long gone.

They didn't do them at our secondary school from about 1994 onwards.
    Forum Member

Like the christian religion, it is an outdated tradition and serves no purpose in todays society. It isn't about immigrants or minority groups, but about relevance in our secular country. I agree with those who say it shouldn't be replaced with worshipping other religions. There is no need for religious content in any of our schools. Leave it in the churches.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, because it makes a lot of sense to have half the school singing hymns and praying to a god they dont believe in. That sounds like a perfectly good use of the schools time.
  • Ricky D GervaisRicky D Gervais Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any tradition that is counter productive should be ditched. Especially in schools.
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    I think its a terrible shame!
    I used to enjoy hymns as a child, and I like quite bible stories!

I wonder how successful a school would be to make the same suggestion in an Islamic society?

BTW, I am not anti islam, I believe people have a right to choose their own belief and faith, but this is a Christian society, and why we openly celebrate Christmas, Easter and most of the other holidays we have!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    I think its a terrible shame!
    I used to enjoy hymns as a child, and I like quite bible stories!

I wonder how successful a school would be to make the same suggestion in an Islamic society?

BTW, I am not anti islam, I believe people have a right to choose their own belief and faith, but this is a Christian society, and why we openly celebrate Christmas, Easter and most of the other holidays we have!

We used to be a christian society but we've moved to a more secular society where those who don't believe in the christian god aren't forced to participate in, what they would see as, pointless exercises.

How many people actually celebrate christmas for its religious signficance. Most appreciate 2 days off work, presents and a big feed. God doesnt really enter into it.