Options

Poirot - Boxing Day

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,274
Forum Member
✭✭✭
There's a new Poirot being aired on 26th December 'The Clocks'. I really enjoyed that book so hope the programme lives up to it. I believe Anna Massey is in it. Must have been one of the last things she filmed before she died.

Comments

• Options
    ~V~~V~ Posts: 17,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved 'The Clocks' too.

Amazingly it is actually a Poirot book rather than a Tommy and Tuppence book or an Ariadne Oliver book or any random book that they've managed to shoehorn Poirot or Marple into.

let's hope it's a good un :)
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen it, it's on the DVD they released last year (or possibly 2009). It's a very good adaptation, I enjoyed it greatly.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooer - I shall have to dust off the ITV button! :)
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ~V~ wrote: »

Amazingly it is actually a Poirot book rather than a Tommy and Tuppence book or an Ariadne Oliver book or any random book that they've managed to shoehorn Poirot or Marple into.

As far as I'm aware they've never shoehorned Poirot into a non-Poirot book
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Poirot is pure.

ITVs Marple may be contaminated, but I have never watched an ITV Marple so don't know.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At last something decent on ITV, i'm glad of the holidays it makes this channel air at least one good programme.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    I think Poirot is pure.

ITVs Marple may be contaminated, but I have never watched an ITV Marple so don't know.

The ITV Marple started off badly by changing one the murderers in Body In The Library and adding some lesbianism.

Since then it has gotten worse by changing plots and characters and in some cases only keeping the titles the same and, as ~V~ said shoehorning Miss Marple into non-Marple books

I will say however that Julia McKenzie is a better Marple than Geraldine McEwan
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think you'd get David Suchet doing other than a genuine Poirot. His ambition is to complete the entire oeuvre - I believe that Clocks is the last but one that AC wrote (and that he has to do), but I stand to be corrected.

Edit: Ah - correcting myself. The info is here
  • Options
    billykubrickbillykubrick Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is there such a thing as an Ariadne Oliver book? I thought she was a character in Poirot's world. Slightly off topic I would quite like to see a good remake of And then there were none.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is there such a thing as an Ariadne Oliver book? I thought she was a character in Poirot's world. Slightly off topic I would quite like to see a good remake of And then there were none.

Ariadne Oliver appeared in The Pale Horse as a minor character

I'd like to see a remake of And Then There Were None that keeps to the original ending
  • Options
    billykubrickbillykubrick Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »

I'd like to see a remake of And Then There Were None that keeps to the original ending

I didn't know that. As a child (12) I got into most of the Porot novels but wasn't much interested in Christie's other characters.
    I did however love the novel And then.. though with less pc title. Can't now remember if I saw the stage play first or afterward, which I also very much enjoyed but which, as you refer, to had the "happy" ending. The original would be a good one to film because, if you didn't know the story, could be a genuine WTF moment if handled properly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oddly Wiki describe it as a minor role but the Agatha Christie site says she solved it herself ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Blimey, I read it so long ago (again, original title, not the rdone one that was then redone again) and have seen far too many adaptations, including a computer game, that I've totally forgotten what the original ending is. Or that it was different.

Am now blushing :o
  • Options
    Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    I didn't know that. As a child (12) I got into most of the Porot novels but wasn't much interested in Christie's other characters.

The Pale Horse basically follows up on the first Poirot book that Ariadne Oliver appeared in (two other people involved in the previous murder case also turn up here, so it is one of the few AC books with a spoiler warning).

As for The Clocks, not impressed with all the actors (Ray Winstone´s kid was very poor in the title role), but the script was better then the AC book it was based on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Blimey, I read it so long ago (again, original title, not the rdone one that was then redone again) and have seen far too many adaptations, including a computer game, that I've totally forgotten what the original ending is. Or that it was different.

Am now blushing :o
    In the original ending everyone dies but in the "happy" ending which was first used in a stage adaption of the book Vera Claythorne and Philip Lombard survive

I have got a spoken word version that keeps to the original ending which is narrated by Hugh "Captain Hastings" Fraser.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the original ending everyone dies but in the "happy" ending which was first used in a stage adaption of the book Vera Claythorne and Philip Lombard survive

I have got a spoken word version that keeps to the original ending which is narrated by Hugh "Captain Hastings" Fraser.

Ah yes. Thank you :)
  • Options
    snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll watch The Clocks with added interest as it was the first Agatha Christie book I ever read. I wasn't much impressed and got nowhere in deducing whodunnit. All I can remember now is suggestions of spies and that there was a suspicious cat.

Despite this I did become converted and must have read a hundred of them now.

The Clocks was set in the early 1960s but I see from the trailer it's back in 1936 like all the others.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    The ITV Marple started off badly by changing one the murderers in Body In The Library and adding some lesbianism.

Since then it has gotten worse by changing plots and characters and in some cases only keeping the titles the same and, as ~V~ said shoehorning Miss Marple into non-Marple books

I will say however that Julia McKenzie is a better Marple than Geraldine McEwan

I think David Suchet would be a better Marple over Geraldine McEwan!:D