Options

Cat getting spayed

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
Forum Member
I'm getting my cat Mavis spayed on tuesday & I'm worried about it. Can any of you lovely cat owners give me some reassurance. I'm not sure what disaster I think is going to happen but she is so tiny & I'll be on tenderhooks that day

Comments

• Options
    dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was on tenterhooks all day when I had both of mine done (especially Lola as she was still very small) honestly though, she came home, and despite the vet saying she would probably be sleepy and not hungry, ate some food, and ran about like a nutter.

I think the younger they get done the less it seems to affect them.

We didn't need a cone of shame (her stitches were on her side about 2/3rds of the way down her body - vets all do it in different places I have learnt) and she only briefly made any fuss about her stitches.

The stitches were all dissolvable, we had a check up two days later to check her wound was all ok, and her fur is still growing back 2 months later from where they shaved it completely.
  • Options
    madnesmadnes Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dollymarie wrote: »
    I was on tenterhooks all day when I had both of mine done (especially Lola as she was still very small) honestly though, she came home, and despite the vet saying she would probably be sleepy and not hungry, ate some food, and ran about like a nutter.

I think the younger they get done the less it seems to affect them.

We didn't need a cone of shame (her stitches were on her side about 2/3rds of the way down her body - vets all do it in different places I have learnt) and she only briefly made any fuss about her stitches.

The stitches were all dissolvable, we had a check up two days later to check her wound was all ok, and her fur is still growing back 2 months later from where they shaved it completely.

My cat aged 3 was spayed in July. I thought she would be tired and grumpy. as above she ran around like a nutter jumping and springing all over the place.
  • Options
    SmithmanSmithman Posts: 6,184
    Forum Member
    Izzy was done in March when she was 7 or 8 months old and like you, and probably all cat owners, I was on tenterhooks all day. When we got her home I was expecting her to be dozy and rather fragile but she immediately ate a good meal and was running around as though nothing had happened !! :D
  • Options
    Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First of all - well done for doing the responsible thing and having your cat spayed.
    Always had mine done and as other posters say - only problem is trying to keep them quiet.
    Only problem I have ever had was my very first cat. Collected her from the vet and by the time I got her home, she had bitten out the stitches. Took her back - and same again. The vet nurse actually refused to put her hand back in the basket the third time around! In the end - we used antibiotic powder on the small cut and thankfully she healed quickly.
  • Options
    Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    I had both my girls done and was absolutely terrified on both occasions.(I'm a worrier, to put it mildly.) I was so desperate I ended up going on Yahoo Answers for reassurance while they were being operated on!

They both came home safe, well and happy, with no problems.

I thought they'd need ton of rest, but the eldest in particular took up acrobatics the minute she got home... she was running round like a lunatic. I was scared she'd bust her stitches! Luckily, she didn't.

I know you can't help worrying but it's very unlikely anything will go wrong. Try and relax as much as you can. Easier said than done, I know, but remember that you're doing the right thing by having Mavis spayed. :)
  • Options
    tarotangeltarotangel Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's natural to be on tenterhooks. I was when Woody was done, even though he was getting boy equivalent done. Will be thinking of you both.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the reassurance x I know she will be fine but can't help worrying :D I can ring them at 2pm but don't think I'll last that long
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can't say I gave it a second thought though that's probably more to do with me having complete trust in my vet - The only side effect of Milley being spaed was that I'm convinced it changed her personality. She went from a cat who was always happy to sit on you're lap to a cat who didn't want to anymore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just rang the vets & my girl is fine & can be picked up at 4.30 :D
  • Options
    niki1969niki1969 Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Just rang the vets & my girl is fine & can be picked up at 4.30 :D

I am glad she is ok. Give her loads of fuss later x
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    My little furry man Ollie is getting done tomorrow.... both my husband and i are worried for him, but Ollie's vet Neil is a lovely person and i know he will take care of him.

Glad your Mavis is well and all went ok :)

Kyls x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mavis is fine, had a little to eat & drink. Spent loads of time sleeping on my shoulder as usual, she keeps trying to lick the wound but she is easily distracted. My other cat Sid won't go anywhere near her, just keeps hissing but I'm sure he will soon settle down.
  • Options
    dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mavis smells different to Sid, because she's been in a different environment, so thats why he's hissing at her. I was warned about this with my two. It only happened once after she came home, but they were fine after a few hours. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've had 3 cats:

Two sisters, our first two, both done at 6 months. The vet asked if we wanted a blood test prior to the anaesthetic to check for any anomalies - we declined, possibly foolishly. After the op both cats seemed to recover well for a couple of days, then one, Patsy (the other, Eddi, the AbFab girls) fell ill. We took her immediately back to the vets who after a couple of days stabilising her determined kidney failure. She recovered in part, and was placed on a life-long restricted protein diet. After about a year we decided that she was miserable eating this (and it was particularly hard with her sister eating normal food), and to go for quality of life, and feed her what she loved instead. She lived to around 9 year old before being diagnosed with "large, sinister growths"; She was put to sleep whilst undergoing exploratory surgery to investigate.

Patsy was my wife's cat, and I quickly replaced her with a young kitten. This we also had done at 6 months, but this time we went for the blood test.

Just a cautionary note, might be worth ticking all the boxes on the consent form.
  • Options
    Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i've had 4 female cats spayed and 2 males neutered over the years at not once was i asked if i wanted a blood test done to check for anything...and they were all operated on at different vets. I don't think thats routine practice in many vet clinic ...or maybe just not in vet clinics in my area. :confused: