O2 allows free wifi on the London underground

2»

Comments

• Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    I don't find it that useful. I'm generally only waiting one or two minutes for the train to appear on the platform, by the time it connects to the WiFi, then I open a webpage and click the "continue online" button, the train is there!

I use the tube frequently, and this is exactly what I have found. By the time I have got access, I'm leaving the station. Trains are every few minutes, and the only time it will be any use is when trains are delayed and I'm stuck at a station for an extended time.

Once on the train, you can try to get access each time it stops at a station, but that is really frustrating.
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    I think the last time it was mentioned it was the sheer cost of it. it was rumoured to cost from 200-300 million to do and TFL didn't want to add in any of that, plus there were other issues.

However they are looking into on train wifi which would be just the same as cellular seeing that apps will be the way forward.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use the tube frequently, and this is exactly what I have found. By the time I have got access, I'm leaving the station. Trains are every few minutes, and the only time it will be any use is when trains are delayed and I'm stuck at a station for an extended time.

Once on the train, you can try to get access each time it stops at a station, but that is really frustrating.

You generally don't have to wait until you're on the platform though. If you're in a station like Euston, as I am frequently, it's like useful to have wifi as you're making your way through.

When on the train, you don't have to go through the splash screen at each station, so there's time to send a message or update a Twitter/Facebook feed etc.