EE 2G/3G/4G Discussion Thread

Comments

• DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Chrysalis wrote: »
    someone did decide it, as its the software that chooses which to use.

the best thing to do is have phones pick the strongest signal regardless of generation when mobile data is disabled (which is what I do on my own phone but couldnt on my dad's as it requires root+xposed framework). On his phone its now set to auto 2g+3g, I would have set 2g only but thats no longer possible on android without root.

Interestingly this is now possible on iPhones since the iOS 8.3 update.
    Previously just a 4G on/off toggle.
    Now you can select 4G/3G/2G, 3G/2G or just 2G only.

It's a good idea of yours (best signal if data is disabled) but of course this will never happen since the networks don't really want you to disable data.
  • jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never understood why phone manufacturers and networks don't allow you the option to choose what service you want your phone to use
    Yes have the phone set up to automatic selection as standard, which is ok for most people most of the time, but give us the option to select services when we need to. It's getting reduculus now as the latest Samsungs won't even display the types of services availible in manual search.
  • MinardiMinardi Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seriously considering a move back to EE, as my 2 year 3 contract is up next month. Does anyone have issues with capicity for calls where they are? When I left (Orange, as I was contracted to) this area was so bad that when I was on 3G, no calls or texts or data could get through for most of the day. It was fine at night. At the time I had a phone where I couldn't switch down to 2G manually, so I had to buy my way out! EE Denied there were any problems, even when they couldn't call me to discuss why I wanted to leave....!
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Minardi wrote: »
    Seriously considering a move back to EE, as my 2 year 3 contract is up next month. Does anyone have issues with capicity for calls where they are? When I left (Orange, as I was contracted to) this area was so bad that when I was on 3G, no calls or texts or data could get through for most of the day. It was fine at night. At the time I had a phone where I couldn't switch down to 2G manually, so I had to buy my way out! EE Denied there were any problems, even when they couldn't call me to discuss why I wanted to leave....!

Can't say i've ever had this since I've been with them since February. Probably best get an EE Pay as You Go sim see if it has been resolved.
  • MinardiMinardi Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    Can't say i've ever had this since I've been with them since February. Probably best get an EE Pay as You Go sim see if it has been resolved.

Fair point. Ordered one. Parents use EE in old 2G Nokias and have no issues.
  • de525made525ma Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't need to be root on Android to force 2G only, just download an app to get you into the testing menu.

eg https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=diewland.testing.phone&hl=en

Then tap on phone settings and pick the network setting you want.

BTW my phone still has "GSM only" as an option.
  • de525made525ma Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it got turned on in norfolk near cromer 2 weeks ago, problem is the 4g signal was very weak causing my dad's calls to cutoff, I disabled 4g on his phone and now he is happy.

which idiot making android decided a 1bar 4g signal is preferable to 5 bar 2g/3g?

1 bar of 4G is usually faster than 5 bars of 3G.... That's why.

4G is not for voice. During calls it drops back to 3G. So it's likely that the phone isn't falling back to 3G quickly enough, or you are in one of those areas where there is no 3G so it's falling back to 2G, which is too slow.
  • mupet0000mupet0000 Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it got turned on in norfolk near cromer 2 weeks ago, problem is the 4g signal was very weak causing my dad's calls to cutoff, I disabled 4g on his phone and now he is happy.

which idiot making android decided a 1bar 4g signal is preferable to 5 bar 2g/3g?

I don't understand why his calls would cut off. So he has 1 bar of 4G, if he receives or places a phone call it drops down to 3G, how does disabling 4G help this situation?
  • Stereo SteveStereo Steve Posts: 1,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    Harbertonford mast has a stronger signal now.
    -117dBm parked in the garage and usable (39Mbps). Been like this for about 5 days now.
    Also 1 bar when driving through the village.
    Previously only 3G in both locations, never a sniff of 4G.
    No more masts on so power must be increased.

I hope you weren't looking at your phone while driving. I've heard the parish council take a dim view of such things.
  • sparky93sparky93 Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    de525ma wrote: »
    You don't need to be root on Android to force 2G only, just download an app to get you into the testing menu.

eg https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=diewland.testing.phone&hl=en

Then tap on phone settings and pick the network setting you want.

BTW my phone still has "GSM only" as an option.
    its blocked totally. even a app wont open the menu.
  • magicdesignmagicdesign Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Gigabit wrote: »
    It is frustrating that my phone prefers poor 3G (which provides no data throughput at all) over poor 4G (which gives me 5Mbps +).

Get a phone which allows you to specify which network to use. Sony handsets do. New Blackberry handsets do. I am sure there are others.
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    Get a phone which allows you to specify which network to use. Sony handsets do. New Blackberry handsets do. I am sure there are others.

iPhones (since 8.3) have a 2G, 3G, 4G switch. (except on Three).
  • DevilduckDevilduck Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    sparky93 wrote: »
    its blocked totally. even a app wont open the menu.

What phone do you have.

On my LG g3 you can type in n a number on the dial pad 3845#*855# to get in the test menu.

From here you can choose which network type you want to use.
    Forum Member
    Devilduck wrote: »
    What phone do you have.

On my LG g3 you can type in n a number on the dial pad 3845#*855# to get in the test menu.

From here you can choose which network type you want to use.
    s3 since last jb update. menu unavailable, and s5.kk4.4.4/lp5.0.2
    Forum Member
    Rubbish! Is it a branded phone (do you get an EE splash screen when it boots)
    Forum Member
    Harbertonford mast has a stronger signal now.
    -117dBm parked in the garage and usable (39Mbps). Been like this for about 5 days now.
    Also 1 bar when driving through the village.
    Previously only 3G in both locations, never a sniff of 4G.
    No more masts on so power must be increased.

Eurgh!

Can't find my EE sim to test my signal at home. Why do they make micro sims so small! :P
    Forum Member
    evr fw. no ee splash, just ss. used to work on s3 till jb4.4.4.
  • lost boylost boy Posts: 1,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Minardi wrote: »
    Seriously considering a move back to EE, as my 2 year 3 contract is up next month. Does anyone have issues with capacity for calls where they are? When I left (Orange, as I was contracted to) this area was so bad that when I was on 3G, no calls or texts or data could get through for most of the day. It was fine at night. At the time I had a phone where I couldn't switch down to 2G manually, so I had to buy my way out! EE Denied there were any problems, even when they couldn't call me to discuss why I wanted to leave....!

BIB - on EE? Yes, since they 'optimised' their 2G/3G network provision their 3G has been a bit of a basket case here - and they know it, although of course, 'officially', everything's just peachy. Additionally, with the 2G network taking up a lot of slack, it's been suffering too, although forcing handsets to 2G (where available) means calls are more likely to be possible than they would on 3G.

To be fair there is quite a bit of EE 4G here, but that doesn't really help with calls so 3G is still suffering, but it does make for the odd situation of EE having issues with calls, while Three is fine for calls but rather struggles with data :confused: no, I don't get it either. This is set to continue too, with the ongoing lack of investment from O2 and Vodafone in the area... but that's for another thread. :cool:

*Disclaimer; I'm on Three, so the above is from mates who are using an EE group brand sim (i.e. EE/Orange/T-Mobile), so YMMV. If you get an EE PAYG sim - click here for a freebie - and test it out, then it should show whether or not things have improved for you over time.
  • GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member

I already do that. It's just a shame that I have to do it manually.
  • ChrysalisChrysalis Posts: 592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interestingly this is now possible on iPhones since the iOS 8.3 update.
    Previously just a 4G on/off toggle.
    Now you can select 4G/3G/2G, 3G/2G or just 2G only.

It's a good idea of yours (best signal if data is disabled) but of course this will never happen since the networks don't really want you to disable data.

yeah basically I use intelli3g.

it allows you to set a fast and slow network.

for fast I set auto with 4g as priority.
    for slow I set 2g only.
    it will auto switch to fast when mobile data is enabled
    it will auto switch to slow when mobile data is disabled

also my phone auto disables mobile data if the screen is off for 15 mins
    chompsms will auto enable mobile data when sending mms and then disable it again after its sent

so my phone is very fine tuned for optimal performance and battery life.

intelli3g is an xposed framework app module.

my dad a few days later has confirmed to me also his calls have stopped cutting out in the car also.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mupet0000 wrote: »
    I don't understand why his calls would cut off. So he has 1 bar of 4G, if he receives or places a phone call it drops down to 3G, how does disabling 4G help this situation?

it moves between 0 and 1 bar every few seconds.

I know this is news you dont like, but its a fact his calls were cutting off and now they not.

both 2g and 3g are 4-5 bars.

my EE phone wouldnt even pickup the 4g at all, but luckily EE 3g is still pretty fast, as I had to download vlc player whilst there and it was pretty much instant from the play store.
  • highfrequencyhighfrequency Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    4G now enabled on the main mast in Warsop, Notts.
  • matty1000kkmatty1000kk Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    it moves between 0 and 1 bar every few seconds.

I know this is news you dont like, but its a fact his calls were cutting off and now they not.

both 2g and 3g are 4-5 bars.

my EE phone wouldnt even pickup the 4g at all, but luckily EE 3g is still pretty fast, as I had to download vlc player whilst there and it was pretty much instant from the play store.

Still don't see how a week 4G signal causes this problem. Once CSFB has kicked in and the handset has fallen back to 3G/2G; 4G plays no further part. If you are really seeing this problem I would report it it certainly doesn't seem right. I've certainly known EE to have problems with CSFB not working correctly and calls going to voicemail although I haven't seen this for some time now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no idea what CSFB is, but surely if the phone drops its connection to reconnect then calls go *poof*.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no idea what CSFB is, but surely if the phone drops its connection to reconnect then calls go *poof*.

If the phone is on 4G, it receives notification that a call is incoming and switches to 3G to receive the call. It's a seamless, instant process and really shouldn't cause any problem.

4G doesn't support calls, so if you're getting to the stage where the phone is ringing then it's already successfully switched to 3G, and 4G is no longer involved.
This discussion has been closed.