Options

Washing machine playing up.

bigluke1970bigluke1970 Posts: 634
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi there

I bought a HOTPOINT WF560 (1600 Spin) Washing machine in 2006.

I usually use it twice a week.

I have had slight problems with it.

Every time I wash my white work Shirts in it I notice some black marks on the shirt.

I went to a washing machine appliance shop and bought the following.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_6?url=search-alias%3Dappliances&field-keywords=wpro%20power%20fresh&sprefix=wpro+p%2Caps%2C363

The machine does smell better (Inside the drum) and looks slightly cleaner but should I get an engineer round to have a look at the machine. Does anyone know where the filter is for my machine. Its not at the front.

Do I need to clean the filter out?

Is there any product that will get rid of the black marks on the shirts? I do have VANISH spray bottle. I Usually was my white shirts on a 40 degree wash with biological tabs

Comments

• Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In an 8-yr-old machine, the bearings could have gone, which eventually leaves behind dark marks, most noticeable on whites. You'd have noticed a very noisy machine first though, so I don't think it's that when you haven't mentioned it.

From your post I'm assuming it's had no maintenance in 8 yrs, so I'm not surprised it's throwing out dirt. Start by doing an empty wash on the hottest temp with a biological washing powder, you don't need any other fancy gimmicks. You'll probably have to do that several times, then get into the habit of doing it monthly. Clean the filter regularly too, and always make sure you leave the door open for a few hours after you've finished using it.

It's always best to keep the manual for white goods, and follow all maintenance advice to the letter. A quick google should get your answer on the filter's location. I've heard of some being on the bottom of the machine, if you can't see it anywhere else.

If all else fails, you've had an ok run at 8 years, by today's standards. Washing machine repairs can be notoriously expensive, and sometimes aren't worth it vs the cost of a new machine.
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    I agree it seems that the bearings are going. When it gets to the stage where it's making a load of noise it's time to replace it. It's beyond economical repair. The same thing happened with mine earlier this year. My wife was complaining about black streaks on the clothes for a few months. I just told her to wash it again. Finally the grinding sounds started to appear and I called up a repair place who told me it was essentially stuffed.
  • Options
    DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was getting marks on whites and very dark clothing. I stopped using washing liquids and switched back to powder and soda crystals in each wash.

No more marks and no more smelly machine.

Edit: I always wash white shirts at 60 degrees, 40 degrees never got them clean enough.
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree it seems that the bearings are going. When it gets to the stage where it's making a load of noise it's time to replace it. It's beyond economical repair. The same thing happened with mine earlier this year. My wife was complaining about black streaks on the clothes for a few months. I just told her to wash it again. Finally the grinding sounds started to appear and I called up a repair place who told me it was essentially stuffed.
    Dirt and then noise? That's odd. When we got an AEG engineer out to our noisy (but stain-free) machine, we were told that the bearings had gone and we should stop using it when black stains appear on washing (we refused a repair because of the cost, as they had to replace the entire drum, which we were told is the biggest job you can get on a washing machine). He said it would take about 2 months of typical use to get to the stains stage, and we would notice it on whites first. It was getting unbearably noisy after just 2 weeks, so we got a new one pronto before it had a chance to ruin anything with stains, or deafen us. ;-)

I see a lot of threads on here about washing machines being smelly and/or causing stained washing (neither of which I've ever experienced), and it's often down to people not doing the regular maintenance that every manual tells you to do, and I've always done. Nothing to do with type of detergent used either. It could be the bearings in the OP's case, but going 8 years without any maintenance (correct me if I'm wrong, OP), and no mention of any noise, it sounds far more like it just needs a good, deep clean - and regular maintenance afterwards.
  • Options
    michael37michael37 Posts: 2,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could be a build up of biofilm (a slimy black gel) in the detergent drawer or filling tube. Detergent and fabric conditioner builds up in there and encourages an overgrowth of algae and harmless bacteria.

Take the detergent drawer out and give it a good clean. Also check in the cavity behind the drawer and give it a through clean. An old toothbrush is the easier way to get at all the nooks and crannies.

To clean out the filling tube leading from the drawer to the drum, put a load of vinegar or bicarbonate of soda in the drawer (not at the same time!) and give it a run through a 95degree cycle (with no washing), you might have to do this 2-3 times to get rid of it all.

You can reduce the rate of build up in future by leaving the dispenser drawer open when the washing machine is not in use.

Do you live in an area with lead in the water? Lead can often cause black stains in white clothes and, unfortunately it is impossible to prevent other than by dealing with the source of the lead.