Beat the VAT increase .... a marketing tool?

StuntyStunty Posts: 45,699
Forum Member
VAT may be increasing officially in the 4th January 2011 .....

However anybody thinking about this rationally must realise that it's not such a bit deal, and the media and retailers are marketing it as some kind of big saving.

For example the saving on a £100 purchase will be a 'massive' £2.50!! A lot of people don't think twice of spending more than that on the lottery each week. £500 and you save £12.50 ...... ok so it is better to have the increase in your pocket rather than the retailer, but it is no reason to rush a buy items just because of the increase, as the media are attempting to dupe the GBP.

Perhaps if you are buying a new car where there is a saving of a few hundred pounds then it would be worth buying the product now.

The media are drumming this one up without actually mentioning the reality of the saving ...... it may be obvious to some but you know what they say, 'a fool and his money are so easily parted'!

Comments

• LisaB599LisaB599 Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its sales fever its like people think they have to go out there as its the SALES!! and theyre missing the bargain of a lifetime.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,168
    Forum Member
    When they lowered it by 2.5% I remember everyone scoffing over how it wouldn't make any difference. Now they raise it by 2.5% and it's like they brought back the window tax.
  • HendersonHenderson Posts: 11,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are DFS having a sale this year? They havent had one for ages...
  • StuntyStunty Posts: 45,699
    Forum Member
    Henderson wrote: »
    Are DFS having a sale this year? They havent had one for ages...

Is that a joke? ...... they have a 365 day sale!!

A bit like 'Dreams' bed sale ..... it is always 'ending on Monday', then they have the same sale which starts every Tuesday.:p
  • ThinWhitePukeThinWhitePuke Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Stuff in sales is just junk that could not be sold at full price as no one wanted it

Tens of thousands of people queued outside Selfridges this morning to buy reduced junk, pathetic
  • StuntyStunty Posts: 45,699
    Forum Member
    Stuff in sales is just junk that could not be sold at full price as no one wanted it

Tens of thousands of people queued outside Selfridges this morning to buy reduced junk, pathetic

I'm amazed at peoples insatiable desire to spend money regardless, just because it is reduced or half price.

Just think, the stores are still making their margins on sale items ...... it's just that they were fleecing everybody when they were charging the full price. ;)

The important questions to ask whether an item is full price or half price is .....

1) 'Do I need it?
    2) 'Do I want it?

If 1 and 2 are definitely 'yes' then apply question 3) Can I afford it?

If 1 & 2 were 'no' at full price, that shouldn't change just beause they are a so called 'bargain'? ;)
  • CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with the OP; it's all psychological.

Too many gullible folk who think they have to get something before they're all out of pocket (when they're clearly not going to be) :cool:
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Besides - if people try to beat the VAT increase, they need to remember that they must be invoiced BEFORE the increase date. Even if you sign a contract, and pay a deposit, you must pay the balance before the VAT increase date to actually avoid the VAT increase.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stunty wrote: »

However anybody thinking about this rationally must realise that it's not such a bit deal, and the media and retailers are marketing it as some kind of big saving.

For example the saving on a £100 purchase will be a 'massive' £2.50!! A lot of people don't think twice of spending more than that on the lottery each week. £500 and you save £12.50 ...... ok so it is better to have the increase in your pocket rather than the retailer, but it is no reason to rush a buy items just because of the increase, as the media are attempting to dupe the GBP.

Perhaps if you are buying a new car where there is a saving of a few hundred pounds then it would be worth buying the product now.

The media are drumming this one up without actually mentioning the reality of the saving ...... it may be obvious to some but you know what they say, 'a fool and his money are so easily parted'!

£2.12 not £2.50
  • the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stunty wrote: »

For example the saving on a £100 purchase will be a 'massive' £2.50!!
    Its actually £2.10 that you would be saving.
  • the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elke21 wrote: »
    £2.12 not £2.50
    the chimp wrote: »
    Its actually £2.10 that you would be saving.
    Where did you get your figure ? I got mine from a Financial expert on 5 live...... he could have been wrong though.

edit, just calculated it myself and it comes out at £2.127 so your figure is closer than mine.
  • mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's like multi-packs of Mars Bars and other sweets and biscuits. You think you are saving money but all you are doing is eating more. Unless you have very good self-control, I bet a multi-pack will be eaten quicker than if you bought a single Mars Bar when you fancied one.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the chimp wrote: »
    edit, just calculated it myself and it comes out at £2.127 so your figure is closer than mine.

I spent about an hour trying to explain this to a friend in the pub the other night. He could not get it into his head that an increase in VAT of 2.5% does not mean that prices will (or at least should) go up 2.5%. It's 2.127%

Besides there is going to be so much discounting over the next few weeks that people won't notice the VAT rise for a while.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How will this effect most things which are priced a penny cheaper than a full pound eg: 99p, £99, £2.99 etc?. Will the retailer increase them by a few pence, absorb the vat increase themselves or just add another pound?. I can't see them changing this stupid pricing method.