Comments

• Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bookcover wrote: »
    It is? :confused:

So what do people ski down these days?

I bought a really lovely writing slope at an antique fair once.

What is this new alternative meaning ? :confused:
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Saigo wrote: »
    It wasn't directed at him and he was probably in on the joke anyway.

That sounds very unlikely!
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »

It's not a new term. Used in the 60's and 70's.
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Apparently "slope" is an ethnic slur. The other was ridiculous, I agree.

Yes thanks to the BBC outrage department I now have a brand new racial slur in my head that I was blissfully unaware of before.
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It seemed pretty clear it was aimed at him. The 'humour' was in the ambiguity of the comment and the juxtaposition of Clarkson's meaning and Hammond's misinterpretation. Pretty childish really but as they aren't children then more like pathetic.

Whether or not the guy on the bridge was in on it is irrelevant.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is this quote going around that Clarkson ranted for "up to half-an-hour"

Now "up to" is not something the general public ever say. It's media speak to mislead.

"up to half-an-hour" would technically be true if it lasted a mere 5 seconds.

The more likely situation is that some words were used and it lasted a minute or two. Anything significantly longer than that and the police would have been called.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »

It's not particularly new, but must admit I'd never heard it before. Found this online for what it's worth:
    Slope
    A derogatory term for people of Asian decent. It is an acronym for Silly Little Opium Peddling Easterner. Can be used when yelling at bad Asian drivers, mailmen who mace your dog, Chinese food delivery men, or in any other context in which one finds it applicable.
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=slope
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    That sounds very unlikely!

Constantly being told that Top Gear is scripted to the nth degree, but now that Asian man just happened to be walking across a bridge they had only just built, with a camera on him, for Clarkson to make a pun.
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    There is this quote going around that Clarkson ranted for "up to half-an-hour"

Now "up to" is not something the general public ever say. It's media speak to mislead.

"up to half-an-hour" would technically be true if it lasted a mere 5 seconds.

The more likely situation is that some words were used and it lasted a minute or two. Anything significantly longer than that and the police would have been called.

Followed by 28-29 minutes of sulking, no doubt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It seemed pretty clear it was aimed at him. The 'humour' was in the ambiguity of the comment and the juxtaposition of Clarkson's meaning and Hammond's misinterpretation. Pretty childish really but as they aren't children then more like pathetic.

Still not racist though.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I dunno. There was an Asian man on the bridge and Clarkson quipped, "That is a proud moment......BUT, there's a slope on it."
    Hammond replied, "You're right. It's definitely higher on that side"
    Cutaway to scenic scene. Voiceover from Clarkson, "We decided to ignore the slope."

Ok, while not racist (even though it's considered a racial slur, it was aimed at the Asian chap (and I imagine he was part of the set-up rather than just some random fellow who wandered past at that precise moment).
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The scripted joke required two of them but I've never seen Hammond called a racist, or the rest of the production team either. Not supporting the joke but why is Clarkson singled out?
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    The scripted joke required two of them but I've never seen Hammond called a racist, or the rest of the production team either.

The 'joke' was that Clarkson was using a derogatory term and Hammond was blissfully unaware, instead thinking JC was talking about the angle of the bridge. Standard comedy basic - crossed purposes.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another thing that is becoming very clear, there was no punch.
    Unless it's of the drinking variety, in which case Clarkson drank it all.

Basically over-paid professional knob shouts/swears at staff member, apologies to him the next day.

It should say "The End" here but someone at the BBC obviously wanted Clarkson out so he (Danny Cohen) can finish the job of turning the BBC into a nice bijou cottage with vegan lesbian toasties for brunch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    You have to be kidding me.....

Otherwise it is slander.

Do you have evidence that Clarkson has discriminated against or persecuted anyone because of their race or sex?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Basically over-paid professional knob shouts/swears at staff member, apologies to him the next day.

It should say "The End" here but someone at the BBC obviously wanted Clarkson out so he (Danny Cohen) can finish the job of turning the BBC into a nice bijou cottage with vegan lesbian toasties for brunch.

I have seen nothing that supports any of this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    I dunno. There was an Asian man on the bridge and Clarkson quipped, "That is a proud moment......BUT, there's a slope on it."
    Hammond replied, "You're right. It's definitely higher on that side"
    Cutaway to scenic scene. Voiceover from Clarkson, "We decided to ignore the slope."

Ok, while not racist (even though it's considered a racial slur, it was aimed at the Asian chap (and I imagine he was part of the set-up rather than just some random fellow who wandered past at that precise moment).

What a nasty piece of work.
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    This fuzzy image is him wearing his rain mac, stood on the patio of the hotel the morning after the fracas;.....

.....or maybe it’s the closing scene from Top Gears version of ‘Don’t Look Now’ :o

Clarkson on Patio.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bri160356 wrote: »
    This fuzzy image is him wearing his rain mac, stood on the patio of the hotel the morning after the fracas;.....

.....or maybe it’s the closing scene from Top Gears version of ‘Don’t Look Now’ :o

Clarkson on Patio.

More like the end of Blair Witch Project.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not particularly new, but must admit I'd never heard it before.

Never seen Apocalypse Now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »

Coppola is a racist. Everyone involved in that film is a racist. They should all be sacked.
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But Clarkson told Danny Cohen himself (it may have been a jump before pushed confession, but even so).

What is Cohen supposed to do? He has a guy who has admitted he is on his final warning telling him that he has caused a scene in a public place, being rude to another member of staff and generally being a bit belligerent while 'representing' for want of a better word, the organisation he works for. The least that is going to happen is that he is suspended while the matter is the subject of an in house investigation. All the petitions, hand wringing and opinion pieces in the world aren't going to change that. I would have thought the time for any petition would have been after the result of the investigation, not before.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not particularly new, but must admit I'd never heard it before. Found this online for what it's worth:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=slope

That definition isn't right. 'Slope' - the short form of 'slopehead' - refers to a physical characteristic: the flatness in back of an South/East Asian's head. It was American soldiers who came up with this slur during the Vietnam war. It went global since then.

I heard that slur almost all my life. The first time I heard it - I was around five (from a stranger in a street to my gran), and the last time - just after last Christmas (a colleague used that slur when bitching about another colleague).

Edited: It's irritating when a quotation within a quoted post disappears.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »

A long time ago, and don't recall the term being used. Or it passed me by.
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    That definition isn't right. 'Slope' - the short form of 'slopehead' - refers to a physical characteristic, e.g. the flatness in back of an South/East Asian's head. It was American soldiers who came up with this slur during the Vietnam war. It went global since then.

I heard that slur almost all my life. The first time I heard it - I was around five (from a stranger in a street to my gran), and the last time - just after last Christmas (a colleague used that slur when bitching about another colleague).

the first time i ever heard that term is when it was in the news when clarkson said it, never heard it used on the street in pubs etc