Options

Great Pop Albums with disasterous marketing and single releases ....

Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,172
Forum Member
Pop is fickle world and clever promotion and marketing is important as a tool to launching any album .....but there are some great pop albums that have flopped and remained relatively undiscovered owing disastrous marketing and single releases ...

Do any come to mind to you? and what would you have released as signal and how would you have promoted them and the album?

Comments

• Options
    LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Ashley Tisdale - Guilty Pleasure (singles should've been: Acting Out, Hot Mess, How Do You Love Someone and Hair)

Cher Lloyd - Sorry I'm Late (singles should've been Bind Your Love, Sirens, Dirty Love and Sweet Despair/Alone With Me)

Both had mediocre marketing too.

Also notably,

Lea Michele - Louder although marketing seemed good, the singles were poorly chosen and didn't reflect her talent or what fans wanted to hear. What Is Love should've been her debut single but instead it was bumped to a bonus track...
  • Options
    elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps not a great album, but Rebel Heart.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    Lady GaGa - Artpop

The marketing was there, but single choices were poor and promotion was kinda weak. The singles should have been:

Applause: April 2013 (Buzz Single)

Gypsy: August 2013 (1st single, 5-6 weeks build up. Released on a Sunday)

Artpop Album: 2 weeks after Gypsy. Loads of promotion and album signings.

Sexxx Dreams: November 2013 (2nd single. Performance on the X factor. Risqué video to get people talking)

G.U.Y: February 2014 (3rd single with the same video. Hints of The Fame/Monster GaGa. Performance at the Brits with a big routine)

Do what u want: April 2014 (4th and final single to be taken from the album. Would have had GaGa sing it only. Video would have been basic but got the story across)

Artrave Tour: November 2013 to July 2014. Shorter then previous tours but higher in budget with the following setlist:

Sexxx dreams
    G.U.Y
    Alejandro
    LoveGame
    Pokerface
    Manicure
    Dance in the dark
    Judas
    Paparazzi
    Telephone
    Aura
    Artpop
    Just dance
    Venus
    ScheiBe
    Gypsy
    Born this way
    Do what u want
    Bad romance
    The edge of the glory
    Applause
  • Options
    SpaceCakeSpaceCake Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    I don't think the marketing for Rebel Heart has been too bad. Madonna has promoted it more than she promoted Hard Candy and MDNA. Living for Love and Ghosttown are great singles, but that doesn't mean anything nowadays, especially at Madonna's age. The leak cocked things up, but Madonna has done her best.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New Order famously lost money on Blue Monday due to the cost of the sleeve design.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Wordshaker - The Saturdays

The whole era was completely rushed and only two singles were released, one which was completely unlike the rest of the album. The promotion was rather weak as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    I think the recent trend to spew out promotional tracks and random videos has caused so many artists to suffer often with no actual "release" available.

Record companies are trying to change the way we buy and listen to music. Instead, they're f*cking up established artist's and newcomer's careers.

There are loads more but a few that spring to mind:

Ella Eyre - Feline
    Kylie Minogue - Kiss Me Once
    Lily Allen - Sheezus
    Madonna - Rebel Heart
    Rihanna's latest campaign.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    The most obvious one for me in MJs Invincible. It's a solid album which was promoted so badly by Sony/MJ. Just two proper singles, and very little else. Had it have received the same support as his previous albums it could have been very different.

MDNA is another one and it infuriates me to this day :D. The tour was meant to be (according to her manager) the only promotion the album would receive, but as a result when it came to the tour nobody knew any of the songs because hardly anybody had bought the album. Unforgivable.

I find most of Rihanna's campaigns a total mess too. So many buzz singles all over the place nobody really knows what the hell is going on. The singles from her last three albums just overlapped and merged into one after a while.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd agree that Rihanna's upcoming album looks like being added to the list. The buzz was there when FourFiveSeconds was released and it was pretty big hit even though not quite at the level of previous Rihanna lead singles. However the buzz singles BBHMM and American Oxygen have had the opposite effect that buzz singles should have. (the reason I call them that is because BBHMM doesn't even have a video and American Oxygen is targeted at quite a niche market).

Now all of a sudden Rihanna has gone completely silent and won't even discuss the album at all, despite appearing in tons of different magazines and doing promo seemingly set up for the album campaign but in fact she isn't using them to promote the album. I would guess that she has gone back into the studio to rework some of the album and find a killer single. I think she will unleash it the autumn as if that were the lead single and effectively start the album campaign from scratch.
  • Options
    montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say any of The Saturdays albums, as it never ceases to amaze how with every one they seem to release terrible singles and ignore some of their great album tracks.

Also Aly & Aj's Insomniatic album is a lost rock-pop classic, but you wouldn't realise it from the singles that they released from it.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Wordshaker - The Saturdays

The whole era was completely rushed and only two singles were released, one which was completely unlike the rest of the album. The promotion was rather weak as well.

I like this album too.
  • Options
    drakhendrakhen Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Completely disagree about Cher Lloyd's Sorry I'm Late. Sony did a lot of promo for the album, including lots of touring in the US and streaming the album before its release. American radio just didn't want to play her for some reason. And The Saturdays were everywhere before the release of Wordshaker to the point they were overexposed. Just because an album flops, it doesn't mean the record company didn't do their job.
  • Options
    brumiladbrumilad Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    inland16 wrote: »
    Lady GaGa - Artpop

The marketing was there, but single choices were poor and promotion was kinda weak. The singles should have been.

The biggest mistake was for their promotion to feed into the Katy Perry vs Gaga stuff the media was trying to play up. Where Katy's team ignored it Gaga's team seemed desperate to 'win' and get to number 1. And that desperation then amplifies the perception of failure when you don't reach the goal you were aiming for. That despite being still very successful you just come out looking like a loser who failed... and that does have a knock on effect down the line. If people think you're a failure (even if your not) they then don't invest in you next time.

Also I don't think Gaga helps herself when things maybe aren't going too well. Instead of just taking criticism or failure on the chin she starts going on the attack blaming people or acting the victim. Kinda 'It's your fault you don't like my new song... you just don't understand art like all my TRUE Monsters do'. As such you do lose that good will to continue to support.
  • Options
    Matthew_Thomas2Matthew_Thomas2 Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    The most obvious one for me in MJs Invincible. It's a solid album which was promoted so badly by Sony/MJ. Just two proper singles, and very little else. Had it have received the same support as his previous albums it could have been very different.

Totally. You Rock My World is a good song but not a good choice for the first single. And Cry was the worst possible choice for single number 2, it's almost as if the label were deliberately trying to bury the album.

Singles should've been:
    Unbreakable
    Whatever Happens
    Speechless
    Heartbreaker
    Butterflies
    You Rock My World

In that order.
  • Options
    RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't polish a turd. ;-)
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Katy perry-prism

Great leaf and introduction but after that it all seemingly unravelled they picked the wrong singles save for Dark Horse and didn't manage the momentum of Teenage Dream.

Walking On Air would've been huge and whilst I love unconditionally the second half had far better ballads and mid tempos that showed her in a different more mature light.

Luckily for her it performed well enough and back by a very successful tour overall the era was a success but could've been do much bigger.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Katy perry-prism

Great leaf and introduction but after that it all seemingly unravelled they picked the wrong singles save for Dark Horse and didn't manage the momentum of Teenage Dream.

Walking On Air would've been huge and whilst I love unconditionally the second half had far better ballads and mid tempos that showed her in a different more mature light.

Luckily for her it performed well enough and back by a very successful tour overall the era was a success but could've been do much bigger.

Dark Horse pretty much saved that album from totally bombing. Unconditionally is IMO the worst single she's ever released - and wasn't helped in the UK by that dire X Factor performance. After that bombed I genuinely thought that would be it for the album. Then Dark Horse came along and breathed a bit more life into it. DH should have been single #2 for sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    Dark Horse pretty much saved that album from totally bombing. Unconditionally is IMO the worst single she's ever released - and wasn't helped in the UK by that dire X Factor performance. After that bombed I genuinely thought that would be it for the album. Then Dark Horse came along and breathed a bit more life into it. DH should have been single #2 for sure.

There I would disagree the album was performing solidly as to all intents and purposes DH was getting airplay and being heard. The issue was that instead of capitalising they went ahead with Unconditionally which itself bombed but the album was actually outperforming Teenage Dream everywhere bar Europe where it still managed to be a moderate hit.

But had like I said the singles after DH been better picked its arguable that Prism would have done better than TD. They again after DH picked a good song but not the right song to carry momentum and then TIHD ended the era prematurely it should have always been for me:

Roar
    Dark Horse
    Ghost
    Walking on Air
    Love Me
    Legendary Lovers
  • Options
    Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    Sugababes - "Catfights and Spotlights" - the last album with Keisha. "Girls" which was used in an advert became a hit, then there was the dubious decision to release the awful "No Can Do" Christmas week and it took until about January to peak at #28 or wherever it was.

The whole album was rush released too, as there was potential on "Change" with "My Love Is Pink", why the hell "Denial" was released and "Never Gonna Dance Again".
  • Options
    Georges GrunGeorges Grun Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Basically any Prince album of last 20 years...your preferred year may vary
  • Options
    Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty much every Kelly Clarkson album except for Breakaway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty much every Kelly Clarkson album except for Breakaway.

My December was spite from Clive Davis he wanted that album to flop and made sure it did.
  • Options
    blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cher Lloyd second albums

No marketing in uk
    Amazing album
    Singles should have been

Sirens
    Party of the year would have been huge lead single
    Killing it
  • Options
    blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leon Jackson

Fingerprints
    Ordinary love
    Stargazing lead single
    Should have been the singles
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Duran Duran - Red Carpet Massacre
    first single Falling Down
    when it should have been Nite-Runner which featured Justin Timberlake or Skin Divers.
    In the end only FD was released as single.