CITV to show classic kids TV shows 5/6 Jan 2013

Comments

• James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    If I am not mistaken some of these were ITV lunchtime for pre-school, not CITV, I was a typical BBC1 viewer, though I did watch How?, Danger Mouse Count Duckula etc...

Danger Mouse was C4

Edit it was CITV but I always recall been on C4 for some reason
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danger Mouse was C4

I used to watch Danger Mouse before C4 ever existed....:D The show originally ran in the United Kingdom on ITV from 28 September 1981 - my 12th birthday :)
    Forum Member
    Looking at it though it been on many channels maybe ITV no longer holds the rights
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking at it though it been on many channels maybe ITV no longer holds the rights

I know it was a Thames presentation - it was a big hit worldwide I only just discovered.....I don't really recall C4 showing any UK animation....
    Forum Member
    Thinking about this I wonder why CBBC and CITV don't make a classics channel it's not like it would cost them to much they all ready have 20+ years worth of footage they could use (if you take classic in been 10+ years)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thinking about this I wonder why CBBC and CITV don't make a classics channel it's not like it would cost them to much they all ready have 20+ years worth of footage they could use (if you take classic in been 10+ years)

I know BBC repeat a lot of oldish animation...Teletubbies is 15+ years old, Fireman Sam even older....
    Forum Member
    I know BBC repeat a lot of oldish animation...Teletubbies is 15+ years old, Fireman Sam even older....

Hard to think Teletubbies is that old it still seems kinda new to me
  • BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Zzzappp? :(
  • James_MonnellyJames_Monnelly Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how many actually won I know a few did on the last episodes of a series but that's was often because they gave them a "short cut" back.

I remember one group though died in the first few seconds they walked into the first room and fell into a hole on their first few steps

Some of the winning ones are on Youtube
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only glaring ommision in my eyes is Round the Bend with Doc Croc.
  • CoriakinCoriakin Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    I am disappointed to see that it is the 90s version of The Tomorrow People that is being repeated rather than original 70s versions. The 90s version might have had better production values but the 70s version is worth showing just for theme tune and opening sequence.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, it's celebrating the 30th birthday of CITV, so they won't be showing something pre-CITV.
  • CoriakinCoriakin Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    James2001 wrote: »
    Well, it's celebrating the 30th birthday of CITV, so they won't be showing something pre-CITV.
    When you put it that way it makes sense. I just tend to always associate The Tomorrow People with the original 70s version.
  • EESuperFanEESuperFan Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love (Shh i still do)
    Jungle Run, The Worst Witch, Rosie and jim , my parents are aliens, Woof and sooty show!
  • SmoothySmoothy Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    I pray that they show it in the original aspect ratio and NOT full-screen (thereby cutting off top and bottom). Please ITV, don't mess this up!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should put Knightmare on too, one of the best childrens shows ever, I hated Blue Peter but loved Knightmare, Childrens Ward et al

Too bloody right! I loved Knightmare!
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jk1978 wrote: »
    Too bloody right! I loved Knightmare!

It hasn't aged that well. They should do an updated version.
    Forum Member
    cat666 wrote: »
    It hasn't aged that well. They should do an updated version.

They did plan one a few years ago I don't know what happened to it however I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't think the cost would be worth it
  • LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish a channel would show SMTV : LIVE ! right from the beginning

I'd watch that! The last time it was worth getting up on a saturday to watch tv!
    Looking forward to this weekend, lots to keep a 90's kid happy :D
    Oddly, I was exclusively a CITV child but now I never watch ITV apart from the one or two quality shows but these don't tend to last long (e.g. Primeval).
    Forum Member
    TBH to me kids shows started going downhill in the 90's the only good ones that were left were ones that started in the 80's
  • LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TBH to me kids shows started going downhill in the 90's the only good ones that were left were ones that started in the 80's

To a point I agree - in fact you may have posted in my thread about this very subject a while back.

I recall The Demon Headmaster began in 1996 so that was still ok in my book.

I continued to catch kids tv due to my younger sister watching it and saw shows like Jeopardy, Tracy Beaker and Madigans Quest - which were all pretty good.

I've heard the Aussies and Canadians still make good kids tv with adult production values and morals and I thought this was a dead duck in the UK - until Wolfblood aired a few months ago. Plus The Sarah Jane Adventures is/was pretty decent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    Smoothy wrote: »
    I pray that they show it in the original aspect ratio and NOT full-screen (thereby cutting off top and bottom). Please ITV, don't mess this up!

They should do. In the afternoons at the moment they show Wolves, Witches and Giants. This is from 1996 and that is shown in it's original aspect ratio.
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    If I am not mistaken some of these were ITV lunchtime for pre-school kids, not CITV, I was a typical BBC1 viewer, though I did watch How?, Danger Mouse Count Duckula etc...

They were often repeated during CITV later into the afternoon.
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member

They did. Carlton Kids and CBBC on BBC Choice.

Both were axed as ratings were appalling.
  • emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Digital Channel CITV is to dedicate the weekend of 5th & 6th Jan 2013 to showing vintage kids tv shows to celebrate its 30th Anniversary

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20780372

oh yes ,here comes the dvd ,why not a bit of schools programmes as well?