Laptop problem (power problem?)

PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi,

I apologise for asking here. I tried a google search but couldn't figure out what to search for because my problem is a bit of an odd one.

Sometimes, like right now, my laptop won't charge. It is plugged in and shows as plugged in, but the battery remains at 0% and won't change, up or down. Sometimes when plugged in, the battery drains and eventually the laptop shuts down and refuses to run from mains power. Sometimes, however, it will run perfectly well without any issues. Other times when it's plugged in it won't even turn on. I've checked the battery connections and there are no visible problems.

I can of course buy a new battery or take it for repair but I don't want to spend money unnecessarily if I've got the wrong idea. Do you think it is the battery or a fault in the power supply connections within the unit, or something else?

Thank you for any advice!

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How old is the battery? They only last a few years.

If the laptop shows it is plugged in its unlikely to be the power adaptor cable or plug, although these often get damaged. A new battery is the obvious thing to try.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    To me that sounds like the power supply could be at fault.

Firstly check the power lead is securely plugged into the power brick then try taking the battery out and powering up the laptop once the laptop is running start moving the lead around a bit starting at one of the lead and work you way down it pay particular attention where the lead plugs into the laptop, power brick and wall plug. I the laptop cuts out try again around the area it cut out to see if it happens again. This should help narrow down your problem.