Options

VE Day 70th Anniversary

TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
Forum Member
I get a feeling that nobody really cares. It is perhaps worth just a few seconds to remember what all those people died for.

Comments

• Options
    BigAndy99BigAndy99 Posts: 3,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TeeGee wrote: »
    I get a feeling that nobody really cares. It is perhaps worth just a few seconds to remember what all those people died for.

Yes, but we can do this, and should be thankful, all of the time.

Much the same as everybody running off to a funeral when they never gave a sh1te when the person was alive...

Right, off to make my facebook message about "feeling blessed for all the wonderful people (heroes) who gave their lives for my today" etc etc - you get the message - it's all about show!

Just spare a thought every now and then, and be respectful and polite to everybody, all of the time! That's BigAndy9's motto ;-)
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BigAndy99 wrote: »
    Yes, but we can do this, and should be thankful, all of the time.

Much the same as everybody running off to a funeral when they never gave a sh1te when the person was alive...

Right, off to make my facebook message about "feeling blessed for all the wonderful people (heroes) who gave their lives for my today" etc etc - you get the message - it's all about show!

Just spare a thought every now and then, and be respectful and polite to everybody, all of the time! That's BigAndy9's motto ;-)

That's great for BigAndy9, who I know is another DS poster. But what's your motto?
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    That's great for BigAndy9, who I know is another DS poster. But what's your motto?

... :D
  • Options
    BigAndy99BigAndy99 Posts: 3,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »

BigAndy9 was me, for one day last year.

I then joined the other week, couldn't remember my BigAndy9 password hence i joined as BigAndy99.

I then put more effort in, managed to log in as BigAndy9, made a post on the "greetings" thread saying as such so the mods disabled one of the accounts.

So, in reality i am actually BigAndy9 :D
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

It's not until the 8th.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    70 isn't really a big number.......I'd have thought the big ceremonies would be for 50 years, 75 years and 100 years then let it go........

If it had been today Cameron would have been all over it, looking sombre and responsible and playing the Patriotism card
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member

I am one of those who grew up through the war years but I guess that as we become fewer and die off then VE day will sadly become of less interest or less spoken about with present and future generations as the years go by.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get the feeling it would have got a lot more coverage if there wasn't a general election campaign going on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    I get the feeling it would have got a lot more coverage if there wasn't a general election campaign going on.

Or else, like the rest of Europe, we are becoming less obsessed with all things WW2 and are allowing these events to recede into past history ?

We need to move on.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there is a big concert happening later this week and various other events, maybe it will be more acknowledged at the time of the actual day
  • Options
    Danny_SilverDanny_Silver Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing I'm interested in is the aircraft flying past my flat.

I certainly will not be silent for the two minutes.

I do not celebrate anything to do with violence.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

...so you won't even commemorate the END of the greatest war that has ever affected this planet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...so you won't even commemorate the END of the greatest war that has ever affected this planet?

There never was a good war and as far as I am concerned war itself is immoral, I view it as the greatest scourge of mankind.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should they have moved the May day bank holiday to the 8th like they did for the 50th anniversary of VE Day?
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    There never was a good war and as far as I am concerned war itself is immoral, I view it as the greatest scourge of mankind.

Of course war is undesirable, however one result of an ill prepared and weak GB standing up to Hitler in WW2 as he proceeded to invade and conquer most of Europe has allowed you to post as you have whereas had we lost then you could have ended up as a piece of soap or an inmate in one of his many death camps.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or else, like the rest of Europe, we are becoming less obsessed with all things WW2 and are allowing these events to recede into past history ?

We need to move on.

WW2 was huge in our history and whilst there are those still alive who fought and those who lived through it and lost family and friends then we should rightly commemorate it.

With regard to the rest of Europe there are events occurring all over just as there are in the UK .
    swingaleg wrote: »
    70 isn't really a big number.......I'd have thought the big ceremonies would be for 50 years, 75 years and 100 years then let it go........

If it had been today Cameron would have been all over it, looking sombre and responsible and playing the Patriotism card

With WW2 is tends to have been the round figures that have been the big commemorations, and to be honest waiting for 75 would see less veterans still alive

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02p6vwl/broadcasts/upcoming

There are quite a few things arranged for it
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing I'm interested in is the aircraft flying past my flat.

I certainly will not be silent for the two minutes.

Would you have been in favour of allowing Hitler to take over Europe then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would you have been in favour of allowing Hitler to take over Europe then?

It's time to move on!

If the Africans can move on due to slavery then why can't we move on?
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's time to move on!

If the Africans can move on due to slavery then why can't we move on?

To be honest we still hear a fair bit about slavery, and apologies have been dished out in recent years, yet there there isn't really anyone around who lived through what you are talking about.

The 2nd World War is still something many remember, and certainly many have had parents who were involved.

This was also something that could have resulted in Nazism across Europe.

You were complaining about the violence of war, and I asked if you would have rather let Hitler have his war, than engage him in war?
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just like 9/11 it will never be forgotten and will always be remembered.

Can you imagine how horrendous and horrific it would be if we were all under the rule of a fuhrer and the Holocoust was still happening today?