Marco Polo

daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,406
Forum Member
✭✭
I know Marco Polo is a popular amongst a lot of people on the forum but for me, it's one story that I'm not too fond of. It isn't an awful story by any means, it's well written and acted and all the regulars have a reasonable contribution to the story. From the coloured telesnaps I've seen it looks quite good visually but in it's original black and white transmission that may not have been so obvious.

For me though, it's too long and repetitive and seriously gets trying over 7 episodes. It seems every single episode The Doctor tries to gain access or is stopped from entering the TARDIS and when he does there always seem to be some consequences. The first couple of times was interesting but after the umpeenth time it becomes annoying. I'm also not fond of third party narration so that also is another reason.

I will say though that it is hard to judge a story solely from the audio and telesnaps. Maybe if I could see it I may think differently but some of the issues I've mentioned above wouldn't really change that much.

:)

Comments

• CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sometimes wonder if the coloured telesnaps have affected my opinion, since I never found it boring watching it that way. Mostly I was frustrated at how Tegana kept being so successful in controlling the situation. I did enjoy Ping-Cho and Susan's friendship, and also the sort-of-epic feel of the adventure.

The story is ambitious, which is one of the things I like about the Hartnell era. The DW team wanted to do bold new sorts of stories, and when they fell short of what they wanted to achieve (**glances at The Web Planet**) at least they were thinking big and aiming high. :)
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sometimes wonder if the coloured telesnaps have affected my opinion, since I never found it boring watching it that way. Mostly I was frustrated at how Tegana kept being so successful in controlling the situation. I did enjoy Ping-Cho and Susan's friendship, and also the sort-of-epic feel of the adventure.

The story is ambitious, which is one of the things I like about the Hartnell era. The DW team wanted to do bold new sorts of stories, and when they fell short of what they wanted to achieve (**glances at The Web Planet**) at least they were thinking big and aiming high. :)

I agree, compared to the other Historicals it is quite big in terms of costume, settings and characters and considering it was the first 'proper' historical. Also agree about Tegana, that Marco never really suspected him right to the end I thought was a bit unrealistic.
  • sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    should do big screen remakes of all lost episodes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    should do big screen remakes of all lost episodes

You can't really recapture the feel of lost stories through remakes. Just hope one day several more of these episodes turn up.

Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't really recapture the feel of lost stories through remakes. Just hope one day several more of these episodes turn up.

poppycod has them all. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    poppycod has them all. ;)

Who? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who? :confused:

Sorry, I suppose he started his forum holiday shortly before you arrived. He was in the same league with the legendary 'Dervish'. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting point about this story is that about half the time the characters refer to the ship as 'the TARDIS' but the other half simply as 'TARDIS'. Even the same character can be heard using both expressions.

A phenomenon probably reflecting a script revision from 'TARDIS' to 'the TARDIS' that failed to catch every instance. (The unfilmed and thus unrevised early script The Masters of Luxor used the reference 'TARDIS'.)
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice to see a thread about Marco Polo ... gives me happy memories of watching DW all the way through with Tigger-Roo. Whatever happened to Tiggs, eh?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice to see a thread about Marco Polo ... gives me happy memories of watching DW all the way through with Tigger-Roo. Whatever happened to Tiggs, eh?

She gives occasional proof of her existence. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have to say I've got my doubts as to whether Marco Polo is as good as peope claim it is certainly from reading the Target Novel and seeing the tele snaps I can't really say I was that impressed. I have a strong feeling that if the story was found we would be left with a feeling of dissapointment one w'ed seen it.
  • Tiggs99Tiggs99 Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    She gives occasional proof of her existence. :)

I do try, but I'm currently up to Meglos and rapidly losing the will to live. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiggs99 wrote: »
    I do try, but I'm currently up to Meglos and rapidly losing the will to live. :o

But then it can't be long till you hit the Davison Deckchair. :cool: