Options

Timeless (UK Pace) [No Spoilers]

Comments

• Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil043 wrote: »
    This must be a very expensive production, where most series can use common sets and costumes , this one does not, how do they do it ?
    I'm not so sure about that - studios are big places with massive wardrobes, and locations can be borrowed from numerous other productions with a quick change just like at the panto where 'indoors' is the same as 'outdoors' but with less shrubbery.

Marginally more seriously, I think as long as something is set within the last few hundred years, there's enough costumery and adjustable sets available for it not to be insanely expensive - or I could be way off the mark but I think I'll hold off reading the background production info until we are further into the series because in spite of people;s best efforts, that sort of thing *always* has spoilers of heavy enough hints to count.
  • Options
    nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Baz_James wrote: »
    All? There's this one and ....... ???
    Terra Nova?
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess Matt Frewer's character Anthony must be a few years younger than Matt Frewer is, since there was no problem with him travelling to 1962 (MF was born in 1958).

As a general point, I would have thought that Flynn should be visiting the most recent years first, and working backwards through them, because otherwise how can he be sure that time won't have changed so much due to his visit to an earlier year that his plans would be ruined? e.g. the Hindenberg visit or the Abraham Lincoln one could have changed history so much that the atomic bomb wasn't invented before Flynn's birth?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, if they are visiting a more recent time than they have visited previously, Lucy's knowledge of that time / event could be inaccurate as it will be from the original timeline instead of the one they are in now, another reason why the writers should be making the time jumps go further back each time.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    As a general point, I would have thought that Flynn should be visiting the most recent years first, and working backwards through them, because otherwise how can he be sure that time won't have changed so much due to his visit to an earlier year that his plans would be ruined?
    Because the time he returns to will be in the time-line that was altered.

However, there is a subtle issue here. If the other lot returns after Flynn has started his return, there is the chance for them to make further changes, after Flynn has departed. Therefore the timeline that Flynn returns to would not have experienced those changes and would therefore be subtlety different from the one that the three return to.
    There is no reason for them (one or the other) to think "job done, let's get outta here", they could linger after the main event and make further changes - such as knocking off one of Flynn's relatives, or even modifying the aftermath of the event that was changed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    Because the time he returns to will be in the time-line that was altered.
    Yes, but what I meant was, if he was always planning to go to 1962 and steal the plutonium, he should have done that first, instead of going to the Hindenberg first, then the Abraham Lincoln assassination, and running the risk of changing time so that the plutonium would not be available for him to steal at all.
    However, there is a subtle issue here. If the other lot returns after Flynn has started his return, there is the chance for them to make further changes, after Flynn has departed. Therefore the timeline that Flynn returns to would not have experienced those changes and would therefore be subtlety different from the one that the three return to.
    There is no reason for them (one or the other) to think "job done, let's get outta here", they could linger after the main event and make further changes - such as knocking off one of Flynn's relatives, or even modifying the aftermath of the event that was changed.
    Good point. I wonder whether they could throw Flynn's plans completely off-balance that way, because unless he had already set off on his next trip by then, he would be unaware that the timeline had changed again, wouldn't he?
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good point. I wonder whether they could throw Flynn's plans completely off-balance that way, because unless he had already set off on his next trip by then, he would be unaware that the timeline had changed again, wouldn't he?
    I think the trick is to not take the time travel aspect too literally. It's merely a plot device to set each "adventure" in some well-known (to americans) event and do a bit of shooting.

For example, why don't they just go back in time to the day before the time-ship was stolen and stop it from happening? The whole series then gets compressed into 1 episode. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For example, why don't they just go back in time to the day before the time-ship was stolen and stop it from happening? The whole series then gets compressed into 1 episode. :D
    Sorry, that's not allowed, you have to go back further and shoot the guy who invents the time-ship *before* he invents it to make sure it never happens. You can't have a time travel show without a proper paradox :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the trick is to not take the time travel aspect too literally. It's merely a plot device to set each "adventure" in some well-known (to americans) event and do a bit of shooting.

Because in this series, you can't go to a time which is during your own lifetime.
  • Options
    Baz_JamesBaz_James Posts: 4,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nomad2king wrote: »
    Terra Nova?

New shows! :D
  • Options
    Baz_JamesBaz_James Posts: 4,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because in this series, you can't go to a time which is during your own lifetime.

You sure about that? They're going to 1972 in ep 6 which is certainly in the lifetime of at least one character.
  • Options
    chocolategagachocolategaga Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    You sure about that? They're going to 1972 in ep 6 which is certainly in the lifetime of at least one character.

I have a theory about that. In certain situations you can go back to timelines like that but you cannot interact in any way shape or form with anyone who may be someway connected to you? Then again I'm unsure how that would work if that is true
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, that's what they said in episode 1 but who knows. Maybe by the time they get to ep 6 they will have changed things enough to wipe Matt Frewer's character out of existence in the new timeline, or maybe he won't be piloting either of the time machines by then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aside from the fact that episode six hasn't been shown yet and is far enough away not to appear in the tv guide either, I'm reasonably sure the original (and strongly emphatic) advice was that people shouldn't interact (directy?) with themselves, I don't recall a specific sciencey bit saying it was impossible that it could ever happen.
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starting to lose interest, alas. I'll stick it out a little while longer but it's just not holding my attention.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »
    Surely all atom bomb tests in Nevada were underground. That test would have irradiated most of the people in Las Vegas surely :confused::confused::confused:

It looks like they did do them above ground.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3783336/A-Bomb-sunrise-Stunning-photos-atomic-bomb-tests-Nevada-desert-seen-Los-Angeles-1950s.html
  • Options
    Surf's UpSurf's Up Posts: 2,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the first one and enjoyed it as a bit of lightweight fun. It's refreshing to have a time travel series where the present day can be affected by what happens when the past is tinkered with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starting to lose interest, alas. I'll stick it out a little while longer but it's just not holding my attention.
    I hope you enjoyed the last one a bit more, I found myself giggling at the gratuitous Bond references :blush: which fortunately didn't turn it into a comedy whilst adding a bit of 'normal humanity'.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    Wrong thread!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Also wrong thread!!
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm hoping the references to the Blitz being rocket attacks, rather than aircraft, is due to the timeline becoming increasingly corrupted, rather than poor writing!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    I'm hoping the references to the Blitz being rocket attacks, rather than aircraft, is due to the timeline becoming increasingly corrupted, rather than poor writing!
    I think some retellings of history refer to the V2 attacks as being the new Blitz.

That episode was very Time Tunnel. Reminds me of when Doug and Tony ran into Rudyard Kipling in India.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    I think some retellings of history refer to the V2 attacks as being the new Blitz.

That episode was very Time Tunnel. Reminds me of when Doug and Tony ran into Rudyard Kipling in India.

Doug and Tony regular met famous people in The Time Tunnel
  • Options
    Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some particularly implausible bits in that episode but some very good jokes as well. I hope that it's not going to go in a totally silly direction - e.g. convenient secret passages - and that gratuitous famous folk, such as Fleming, are kept to a minimum (I'm reminded of Dark Skies).
  • Options
    taskertasker Posts: 4,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Started watching this last night (had no choice, thanks Sky and an about to be replaced q box).
    Wanted to like it but, watched episode 1 and deleted the rest.
    We are on an air ship with a bomb, let's try and defuse it while we fight the baddie??
    Or you could have just thrown it out of the window, and straight away ignoring the number 1 rule of time travel don't mess with the past.

Ill give it a miss.