Amy and Rorys Heartbreaking Exit

2»

Comments

• Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Okay, let me rephrase myself - I think that's easier than delving into semantics!

Amy and Rory's ending is going to be heartbreaking for us, the viewers. It's not necessarily going to be heartbreaking for the characters.

Even if the story ended with a triumphant and/or comic ending, handled right, it could still be heart-breaking to viewers.

I'm just trying to look on the positive side here - What Steven has said doesn't have to mean death and misery and suffering!

THIS!! Absolutely agree! If Amy & Rory were killed off - I wouldn't give a toss....it's happened SO MANY TIMES do we really care?? They ALWAYS come back :yawn:
    A nice happy goodbye would be much more tear-jerking to me! Death is the most least-exciting these days!
    The classic series did it best - when they were dead, they were dead!! They got it right :)
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't it be interesting that when Amy and Rory exit, someone new comes through the entrance, like one of those revolving doors where it sometimes stops midway and you have to push it for it to go round:D
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At first i thought martha's departure was the best, purely to do with the fact that even though she chose to leave, she could come back at any time. But at the end of The god complex when Amy and Rory were leaving the doctor, i thought that was their perfect exit. Too bad it would be impossible to do something similar without repeating history. :/
    Although i wouldn't mind it tying in with river's exit.
  • finn946finn946 Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    in moff we trust

well, at least, i trust! where's the mofflove gone?!?!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finn946 wrote: »
    in moff we trust

well, at least, i trust! where's the mofflove gone?!?!

Haha love this.

Interesting replies ... And I must admit by heartbreaking I did imagine a death which would just be boring as the writing always allows a quirk to 'bring someoneback' so a death is lame.

But there again, losing someone to a parrallel universe in dr who is also lame ... As they can come back.

Dunno, my point was just that no matter what the writers do, and I agree they do it v well, is a cliff hanger ever a cliff hanger anymore in dr who as they just reverse and negate any cliff hanger or 'heartbreaking' ending in the next series.

I am looking forward to it tho.

Have a great weekend everyone

Stay warm

X x x
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thinking about it, captain jack was exterminated ... Then rose brought him back .... But he was left behind .... Kinda heartbreaking but then he reappeared. K9 was destroyed for gods sake .. And rebuilt. I guess the message is that, face it, the dr regenerates so anything can happen lol.

Love it
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    A heart-breaking ending to me....would be for Rory and Amy leave the Doctor with a HAPPY ending!! Now that would be sad, like Little House On The Prairie :cry:
    If they were killed-off...hmmm not so sad - let's face it, we'd all be thinking "Never mind - they'll be back soon! They've always been killed before!!" :yawn::o
    Give them a proper happy exit for God's Sake!!!
    Otherwise - I will finally give up on this fiasco of a series with Steven Moffat....I have put up with enough trash for the past two years - I'll give it one last chance!
    This is the SECOND time I've given the series a chance (first time was 1987....and that failed!!) :mad:
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    laurielou wrote: »
    Of course he does - though I would've been watching anyway. Just not sure that "my writing's so brill, you're going to feel THIS!" is the best form of PR, really. Not for me, anyway. (and yes, I know RTD used to do it, but it suited his style more).

Anyway, I hope when it arrives it's a good one and we really do need our hankies...(I might if Rory dies for real :cry:)
    :cry::cry::cry::cry::(:(:(:(
  • jellyfish7jellyfish7 Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    Hmm...

yes i would rather just take it as it comes.

'gamechanging' moments
    'heartbreaking' moments
    'least expected' moments.

The writing prowess of the guys involved on the show is undeniable, but please let it speak for itself. I dislike all this hype.
    i know - i could avoid it by staying away from any media, but Unfortunately i choose to come on here since i enjoy the discussions, and therefore the wafts of hype are a little unavoidable..
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    I agree with you apart from the BIB. I never really liked Donna's exit as it didn't make much sense at all and her return was a bit of a mess. Plus, we were promised a death and all we got was a lame throwaway line from 10 to suggest that. Away from Donna, Martha's ending was both surprising and well pulled off. However, as much as I'd hate to admit it, Rose's ending was, for me, genuinely heart-breaking and rewatching that scene does bring me close to tears, although they did lose a LOT of that emphasis by bringing her back.

I am a bit of a blubber when it comes to sad films etc, but always when it is done subtly. Rose's exit was just to explicit, that it killed any sense of loss for me. I found the end of School Reunion more of a tear jerker. Maybe that was down to nostalgia as much as anything else. But that's just me. :)