Odyssey 3011 - It's Elite...on the 360

2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
Forum Member
Just thought I'd give the heads up for those who are not aware of a recent game that crept it's way into the XBLIG store and been making waves in the scene due to it's striking similarities to Elite.

This is a genre that is sorely lacking on today's machines, especially consoles. Yes there's DarkStar One: Broken Alliance and it's a great game for what it is but it's not quite the same as Elite. If you are a fan of space trading/combat sims then this is pretty much the full bodied Elite experience that you could hope for. It costs 240MSP (£2) and you can't really go wrong, there's a free trial too. The developer also stated he will be updating the game with additional features for free.

Check out the trailer and the official website for details.

Comments

• General ZodGeneral Zod Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    Wow! Thats actually got my interest. I've got 3000 points that have been sitting in my account for 6 months, as theres not been much worth buying.
    One question - can you enter the atmosphere of planets and roam around exploring, and possibly land, like you could in Frontier, or are you stuck with just docking at space stations?
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    You can't explore planets as such, at least I've not done it yet. It's more like Elite than Frontier but it still has the Frontier vibe. Combat is also really good in this game. I'm surprised he hasn't been sued. Cobra Mk III and Commander Jameson... really? O_o
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks mate, i remember elite on my Acorn Electron

for gamerss whose first game was COD then here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1f9bhYRDPk

note the manual,pretty impressive compared to the slip of paper EA give us today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2DQDgp2IMM

maybe this inspired elite??
    Forum Member
    thanks mate, i remember elite on my Acorn Electron

for gamerss whose first game was COD then here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1f9bhYRDPk

note the manual,pretty impressive compared to the slip of paper EA give us today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2DQDgp2IMM

maybe this inspired elite??

Teenagers today would never understand the appeal of Elite I doubt. It's hard to explain but back then we were forced to use our imagination as well, unlike today.

Back when I was into Frontier on Amiga I Blu-Tacked my Star Chart to the wall above my computer desk and lost myself in that game for hours on end, as far as I was concerned my bedroom had pretty much turned into a spaceship. That was the power of 8/16-bit gaming back then combined with the mind of a child haha! Not all games had that effect of course, Elite was just phenomenal. :)
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll have a look at this
  • seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive been searching the market place but cant find this game
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seanf wrote: »
    Ive been searching the market place but cant find this game

You've been looking in the Indie section, yeah?
    http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/Product/Odyssey-3011/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550c69
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its in the indie section, the 360 dashboard is overly complicated and shit.
    Forum Member
    Yes having a dedicated Indie section is overly complicated. They should of just muddled in the Indie games with everything else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes having a dedicated Indie section is overly complicated. They should of just muddled in the Indie games with everything else.

No but when you click into games and go to "search games" on that section, that search should find all games. It only searches the featured (paid adverts) section. Now I searched for Odyssey here, it looks like seanf has had trouble finding it too. The dash is over complicated and has been taken over by adverts and "featured" (more adverts) games. Its shit. Simple as.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you'd just done a bing search from the dashboard it would've found it.

But, yes, I'm not a fan of the current dash. I never thought I'd say it but using the PS3 is an overall much more pleasant experience though the PSN store is pants, as far as I'm concerned.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway not to derail the thread, for 260 points this game is great. If you are a fan of Elite its a must have.
    Forum Member
    No but when you click into games and go to "search games" on that section, that search should find all games. It only searches the featured (paid adverts) section. Now I searched for Odyssey here, it looks like seanf has had trouble finding it too. The dash is over complicated and has been taken over by adverts and "featured" (more adverts) games. Its shit. Simple as.

What? It's there on all searches, Bing and from the Games marketplace search, it's a lie that it gives results from anything other than the entire games database.

If that's a bit too mind bending then go into the Indie Tab and browse by A-Z, click on O and you will find it, in fact you can't miss it. Nothing is complicated about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What? It's there on all searches, Bing and from the Games marketplace search, it's a lie that it gives results from anything other than the entire games database.

If that's a bit too mind bending then go into the Indie Tab and browse by A-Z, click on O and you will find it, in fact you can't miss it. Nothing is complicated about it.

im going to download it friday
  • seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seanf wrote: »
    Found it

"look sir, droids.."

"look, a penny.."