Amy and Rory on the Hill...

FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
Forum Member
I'm sure this has been answered before, but I'm curious.

I watched The Hungry Earth last night for the first time since Amy and Rory left and it made me wonder - When was this on Amy and Rory's timeline, or was this moment unwritten by an event which happened post-The Hungry Earth? I was just curious. If this moment is still in place, when would it have happened? I was thinking around Series 7 P1 when the Doctor was dropping in and out, but I'm not sure.

Comments

• PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

..Temba, his arms open!
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We know the Hill incident takes place in 2020.

And yes a number of years go by for the Ponds and the World during Series 7 Part 1 (with the Ponds actually aging a little more than the rest of the world).

Do the Ponds actually get to 2020 before being Angeled back to the 1930's is the question.

I think at the time Series 7 aired it was worked out that Power of Three was set in 2016/17 so it seems unlikely that the Ponds were still around in 2020.

I suppose it's possible that the Ponds on the Hill aren't actually from 2020, they could be Ponds from 2016 that find themselves in Wales on that date in 2020 and decide to go wave at their past selves.

Unlike the early series' the show seems to avoid giving the present date too often.

Clara for example must be living in 2016 or so as the Doctor knows Kate Stewart who he did not meet till 2016 yet there's no indication that this is the case.
  • jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrimalIce wrote: »

..Temba, his arms open!

From a fine episide of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Didn't want you to think this went unnoticed :)
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Clara for example must be living in 2016 or so as the Doctor knows Kate Stewart who he did not meet till 2016 yet there's no indication that this is the case.

Hahaha

UNIT dating controversy strikes again

:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think, according to the dating in The Doctor, the Widow and The Wardrobe this present year is the one with the Doctor going to see Amy and Rory at the home he gave them at the end of The God Complex.
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But did the Hungry Earth still happen after the universe got reset?
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trying to get this straight. Easter 1996 Amy meets 11 she is 7 years old.12 years later 2008 11 is reunited with the now adult Amy in Ledworth TEH. Two years later on June 26th 2010 Amy and Rory marry age 21 BB. POT Amy says 10 years have passed meaning it should be 2020 with her and Rory being about 31. Who needs pesky clocks and calendars anyway ?.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,474
    Forum Member
    Trying to get this straight. Easter 1996 Amy meets 11 she is 7 years old.12 years later 2008 11 is reunited with the now adult Amy in Ledworth TEH. Two years later on June 26th 2010 Amy and Rory marry age 21 BB. POT Amy says 10 years have passed meaning it should be 2020 with her and Rory being about 31. Who needs pesky clocks and calendars anyway ?.

Time travellers! :)

IIRCC, 10 years had passed for them. However, significant parts of that 10 years were spent travelling with the Doctor in the TARDIS. Back on Earth, because they kept returning each time to a point only just after they'd left, far less time had passed. Hence the remark about them aging more than their Earth bound friends and people beginning to notice. If they'd been travelling for, say, 50% of that 10 years, only 5 years would have passed on Earth. To their friends they'd look 5 years older than they should. By your calculations, the date on Earth in TPo3 would be only 2015, not 2020.

This goes against the "universal now" recently discussed, but is more logical. Unfortunately it also makes it impossible to fit "Amy and Rory on the hill" into their personal chronologies unless the Doctor (or another time traveller) took them back to that time and that area in an unseen story.
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    This goes against the "universal now" recently discussed, but is more logical. Unfortunately it also makes it impossible to fit "Amy and Rory on the hill" into their personal chronologies unless the Doctor (or another time traveller) took them back to that time and that area in an unseen story.

Most logical explanation...

Amy and Rory on the hill are older than "our" Amy and Rory who they wave to, which is obvious due to "our" Amy and Rory not having experienced it from the other perspective already...

...but that doesn't mean they are necessarily contemporary to the setting of the episode.

I'd suggest that the Amy and Rory on the hill could be from between S5 and S6 and their return to those events to wave at themselves is part of their honeymoon travels with the Doctor :)
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    Time travellers! :)

To their friends they'd look 5 years older than they should.

Unless travelling at interstellar speeds retards the ageing process relative to people back on Earth (viz Brian Cox). Wibbly, etc.

The Rory on the hill sees the sun going down...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    jimbo_bob wrote: »
    From a fine episide of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Didn't want you to think this went unnoticed :)

I got it too. :)
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Shoppy wrote: »
    I'd suggest that the Amy and Rory on the hill could be from between S5 and S6 and their return to those events to wave at themselves is part of their honeymoon travels with the Doctor :)
    What honeymoon travels? The SJA episode Death of the Doctor explicitly says he dropped them off for honeymoon.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    What honeymoon travels? The SJA episode Death of the Doctor explicitly says he dropped them off for honeymoon.

The Doctor took them lots of places on their honeymoon.

Where he had dropped them while he was on the SJA's was one place, a trip on the cruise ship (A Christmas Carol) was another, IIRC he mentions somewhere else he is taking them at the end of ACC.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,474
    Forum Member
    Unless travelling at interstellar speeds retards the ageing process relative to people back on Earth (viz Brian Cox). Wibbly, etc.

The Rory on the hill sees the sun going down...

And the eyes in his head see the world spinning round.:)

No. Sorry. That's not relevant.

Even if relativistic effects (time dilation) occur while traveling in the TARDIS (not mentioned in 50 years AFAIK), Amy and Rory still experienced 10 years of existence while their friends back on Earth experienced 5 years.

Now, if there was something clever the Doctor does to slow down his companions' aging, so they only age, say 5 years, while experiencing 10 years, that would fit. But it's also something that's never been referenced in 50 years. As far as I know. :)