Options

What will Scotland do now following the PM speech?

bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,938
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The PM want the Uk to leave the Single Market but what does Nicola Sturgeon and Scotland do now if The whole of the UK leaves the EU and everything else to do the the EU once we leave:confused:

Does the First minister called for another Referendum once the PM triggers A50, does the FM wait until we leave the EU or does Scotland try there own thing the EU and still be in the Single Market:confused:

If Scotland does go fora referundum on Independence they can't go on the same things they did last time in the Last refereundum they would have to come up with something Different from last time?

If Scotland do go for another Referdundum and loses again where does Scotland go from there:confused:

Does Nicola Sturgeon know if Scotland goes and wins Independence and try join the EU they also must join the Eurozone too or will she try and get out of joining the Euro and still be in the EU with certain Conditions:confused:

Comments

• Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The SNP will moan as they always do and announce civil war with evil Westminster

The Scottish people will just get on with their lives as they always do

DS remainers will be split between supporting Scottish independence for them to escape the so called evil Brexit Britain while the others will try to use Scotland as reasoning to cancel brexit despite that the average Brit doesn't care if any region from NI to Yorkshire & Humber left

DS Brexiters will post anti Scottish crap, petition to kick Scotland out of Britain and rebuild Hadrian's wall Berlin style to prevent millions of Scots coming to London/South East England to take their jobs that were already taken by EU migrants

The non DS visiting English will just get on with their lives regardless of Scotland/SNP/DS posts/whatever
  • Options
    Net NutNet Nut Posts: 10,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What will Scotland do now following the PM speech?

Leave the UK.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edinburgh is like London isn't it?? I'm only checking because I don't think I'd like Glasgae very much :o:blush:
  • Options
    Union JockUnion Jock Posts: 7,262
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure if Sturge off really knows what to do, she's been giving all the talk to please her supporters but now it's come to the crunch she's stuck.
  • Options
    ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scotland needs the single market.

The question is whether she goes for independence now before many people have really grasped the consequences of leaving the single market. Or wait for them to find out.

Personally I think the latter is more sensible. Many people don't understand hypothetical economics. As soon as their purse/jobs are hit they'll run for the exit.
  • Options
    zarkovzarkov Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Union Jock wrote: »
    I'm not sure if Sturge off really knows what to do, she's been giving all the talk to please her supporters but now it's come to the crunch she's stuck.

Yes that has been the general impression. Out of all the leaders in the UK, the FM has been the one caught staring at the headlights.....Oh no wait a minute...NURSE...

What planet are you Brexiters on? She was the only one with a plan following the vote for self-immolation by England and Wales.

The referendum is coming. Congratulations. You took back control and ended the UK.
  • Options
    Union JockUnion Jock Posts: 7,262
    Forum Member
    zarkov wrote: »
    Yes that has been the general impression. Out of all the leaders in the UK, the FM has been the one caught staring at the headlights.....Oh no wait a minute...NURSE...

What planet are you Brexiters on? She was the only one with a plan following the vote for self-immolation by England and Wales.

The referendum is coming. Congratulations. You took back control and ended the UK.

I voted to remain.
  • Options
    Robert_SteRobert_Ste Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Waits with its referendum legislation already voted through Holyrood, until the EU says no to the May's terms and faced with WTO rules, also lowest common denominator economic model of 5 percent corporation tax and vastly reduced worker rights.

IndyRef2 would in no doubt be won, plus add in with the universal credit cuts, and fiscal framework reductions the unionist argument for staying is virtually nil.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robert_Ste wrote: »
    Waits with its referendum legislation already voted through Holyrood, until the EU says no to the May's terms and faced with WTO rules, also lowest common denominator economic model of 5 percent corporation tax and vastly reduced worker rights.

IndyRef2 would in no doubt be won, plus add in with the universal credit cuts, and fiscal framework reductions the unionist argument for staying is virtually nil.

Aside from the hordes of English people fleeing to Scotland ;):blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted to remain.

Good for you.

Pity the majority Brexit vote went ahead despite the widely publicised view on what the Scottish Government's position was - another referendum.

Like I said earlier, Brexiters have only themselves to blame for the inevitable end of the union. What a betrayal for the Scottish unionists...

Do you think they care?
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    Christa wrote: »
    Scotland needs the single market.

incorrect

70% of scotland's economy is linked to the UK, only 15% to the rest of the EU

so why would we want to leave the UK and be the wrong side of a trade deal that affects 70% of our economy just to try and protect 15% of it ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    incorrect

so why would we want to leave the UK and be the wrong side of a trade deal that affects 70% of our economy just to try and protect 15% of it ?

Can you quote the source for these figures.

Like to do a bit of research.

Cheers
  • Options
    Forum Member

Cheers

its easy enough to google it and has been discussed at length on this forum before
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its easy enough to google it and has been discussed at length on this forum before

Should be easy enough for you to provide a link then :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Should be easy enough for you to provide a link then :)

i'm sick fed up tbh of going around in circles with the same old arguments that have been discussed umpteen times previously

i'm confident those figures are correct, if you dont believe me then no skin of my nose

prove me wrong
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'm sick fed up tbh of going around in circles with the same old arguments that have been discussed umpteen times previously

i'm confident those figures are correct, if you dont believe me then no skin of my nose

prove me wrong

Ah now come on that is not how it works. You provided a stat. I ask for a source. It is not for me to prove you wrong.

Back up your posts!!
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,949
    Forum Member
    Ah now come on that is not how it works. You provided a stat. I ask for a source. It is not for me to prove you wrong.

Back up your posts!!

Allow me to assist:-

https://fullfact.org/economy/does-scotland-export-twice-much-england-it-does-rest-world/

(Look at the pie chart in that piece)

or this from today:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/17/snp-brexit-minister-suggests-eu-important-uk-scottish-firms/amp/

(Relevant figures underlined)

Exports to the rest of the UK just over 4 times the value of exports to the rest of the EU.

Given that there are also exports to non EU countries the % quoted by the earlier poster are broadly accurate.
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Holyrood had a Brexit debate yesterday and MSPs voted by 86 to 36 to support the recently published SNP proposals, that also included devolving more powers to Scotland, and keeping Scotland in the single market even if the rest of the UK left.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radiomike wrote: »
    Allow me to assist:-

https://fullfact.org/economy/does-scotland-export-twice-much-england-it-does-rest-world/

(Look at the pie chart in that piece)

or this from today:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/17/snp-brexit-minister-suggests-eu-important-uk-scottish-firms/amp/

(Relevant figures underlined)

Exports to the rest of the UK just over 4 times the value of exports to the rest of the EU.

Given that there are also exports to non EU countries the % quoted by the earlier poster are broadly accurate.

Clicked on the first link.. This is what it says at the end..

"Sadly, given drawbacks these figures aren't on the firmest possible ground. It's especially worth bearing in mind that oil and gas are omitted from the survey. We can't know the extent to which this would change the balance of exports, but we could expect it to be significant."

http://oilandgasuk.co.uk/economic-contribution.cfm

Oil and gas production has increased since then.

I heard on BBC Scotland radio yesterday that 14 new oil fields were coming on-stream this year.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    Robert_Ste wrote: »

Except Scotland would be bust without its subsidy from England, there would be no one to pay its benefits bills, or nice to have add ons financed by England. The oil price hasn't fully recovered. it would be in limbo, while it tried to get back in , and probably blackballed by the Spanish. And, if it did ever rejoin the EU, it would have to start paying full fees to the Eu- with no opt outs, or rebates. The irish would ahve snapped up any brain and bank drain from London, well before the Scots rejoined the EU. It would also have to use the Euro - which would mean converting Scottish assets and savings into Euros, at the current low rates. It would also have a lot of redundant ship workers, and face tariffs on most of its trade, going to England and Wales.
  • Options
    luckylegsluckylegs Posts: 7,400
    Forum Member

Agrees
    I voted to remain.

LOL zarkov wasn't expecting that.

It is the jump to conclusions attitude ;-)
  • Options
    Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    incorrect

Thank you for that sensible post.

More people in Scotland voted to remain in the UK than voted to remain in the EU.

Nicola should shut up and put her vote where her mouth is.
  • Options
    CoolSharpHarpCoolSharpHarp Posts: 7,565
    Forum Member

Cheers

Here are some figures from the Scottish gov....

http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Statistics/Browse/Economy/Exports/ESSPublication
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

"The total nominal value of Scotland’s International Exports (excluding Oil and Gas) decreased in the last year, falling by £920 million (3.2%) from £28.4 billion in 2013 to £27.5 billion in 2014."

Why is oil and gas excluded?

http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Business-Industry/Energy/Facts

"The North Sea still produces 1.5 million boe a day and Oil & Gas UK estimates that production could reach 2 million boe a day by 2017."
  • Options
    Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    thms wrote: »
    Holyrood had a Brexit debate yesterday and MSPs voted by 86 to 36 to support the recently published SNP proposals, that also included devolving more powers to Scotland, and keeping Scotland in the single market even if the rest of the UK left.

Another waste of time and money from the Scottish parliament. The EU has already told Nicola that Scotland can't remain in the single market if the UK leaves the single market. This is easy to follow but as usual with our first minister she can only hear what she wants to hear. If she wants to be in the single market call indy 2 and if successful apply to join the EU. This is her only route to the single market.