Options

Best PC dvbs - s2 card solution for freesat

Comments

• Options
    witham1witham1 Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/TempRate.mspx

Interlacing was invented by Alan Blumlein in the 1930’s to increase the flicker rate from 25Hz (as used by Baird) to 50Hz without increasing the transmitted bandwidth.
    The mains frequency was chosen because power supply regulation in televisions was very poor and by locking the field rate to the mains prevented moving “hum bars”.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Hi Marko, i'm running the HD channels through a SAMSUNG LE26R88BD running at 1360 678 on a Ati HD 3650. I'm not able to change the refresh rate at this resolution from a fixed 60HZ. If its 25fps broadcast does this mean 30 hz is suitable if it was available?

Cheers

Guido

I've also got that problem with my Samsung TV.

I bought a cheap DVI - HDMI cable off ebay and use HDMI as the input for the PC signal now.

The TV will only accept a 50Hz signal at a resolution of 1280 x 720 (720p HD signal) but it works perfectly with this setting. This blurs the windows desktop but I suppose I'll live with it until I can convince Mrs Fastardo that we need a new telly that's up to the job.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just managed to get my Samsung LCD to accept an input of 1080i/50 via HDMI in Vista Media Center.

I agree that 1360x768 at 50Hz is not supported :cry: but 1080i/50 looks pretty good, even for the Windows desktop.

To achieve this I had to go into the Registry and change the Media Center settings, and include a refresh rate of 25Hz, not 50Hz.

I'm now really happy with my setup: the Hauppauge Nova-HD-S2 for freesat, and a dual DVB-T card for Freeview. My new ATI HD3470 graphics card means that BBC HD and ITV HD are looking great too with very low CPU useage.

I'm now planning to spoil it all and upgrade to one of the new Panasonic plasma's with built in freesat!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Nick{D}vB wrote: »
    Nvidia cards have an option called "Use Inverse Telecine" in their video control panel,

it seems to help so see if ATI have a similar setting?

Hello Nick, can you tell me where this setting is located in Nvidia Control Panel. I've looked at all the settings but can't find it.

Cheers,
    Ian
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,222
    Forum Member
    Hello Nick, can you tell me where this setting is located in Nvidia Control Panel. I've looked at all the settings but can't find it.

Cheers,
    Ian

Hi Ian

It's in Video & Television / Adjust Video Image Settings / (Look to the far right for "Use Inverse Telecine" tick box) :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Fastardo wrote: »
    I've also got that problem with my Samsung TV.

I bought a cheap DVI - HDMI cable off ebay and use HDMI as the input for the PC signal now.

The TV will only accept a 50Hz signal at a resolution of 1280 x 720 (720p HD signal) but it works perfectly with this setting. This blurs the windows desktop but I suppose I'll live with it until I can convince Mrs Fastardo that we need a new telly that's up to the job.

Hi, 1280 by 720 doesnt cure the very slight stutter on ITV HD football and also its reducing the resolution a bit so it doesnt look as good as the native 1360 x 768. Does anyone know of any other Ati driver tweaks that might help me?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi, 1280 by 720 doesnt cure the very slight stutter on ITV HD football and also its reducing the resolution a bit so it doesnt look as good as the native 1360 x 768. Does anyone know of any other Ati driver tweaks that might help me?
    It sounds like you've got an almost identical setup to me; ATI HD card and Samsung LCD TV. I repeat my recomendation of 1080i/50Hz (and let the TV downscale it) as you will only ever get 60Hz on a Samsung at 1360x768 (believe me, I've tried!)

Are you using VGA or DVI->HMDI?

What H.264 codec are you using? The PowerDVD 8 one seems to be best.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    It sounds like you've got an almost identical setup to me; ATI HD card and Samsung LCD TV. I repeat my recomendation of 1080i/50Hz (and let the TV downscale it) as you will only ever get 60Hz on a Samsung at 1360x768 (believe me, I've tried!)

Hi stig, thanks for the advice, i'll try it shortly at home.

i use dvi to hdmi cable, power dvd 8 codec, dxva switched on,

Specs - ati HD 3650, vista, core 2 duo e6600, 3gb ram

Hope it does the trick. at least there is plenty of football on to try it with :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

I don't have the option of 1080i at 50hz. Basically anything with fast motion is unwatchable which is a real shame. I can't think of anything else to try, i've changed everything i can think of. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I uninstalled both the ATI catalyst driver and catalyst control centre. I then just installed the Catalyst driver on its own.

This gives me access to my 26" Samsung fine. I then forced video mode 'Bob' within power dvd's driver and now pre recorded bbc HD football is running ok, its certainly watchable, not silky smooth but the juddering/shimmering/stuttering (don't know how to describe it :) ) has gone.

Now i just need to try it on ITV HD football. If its smooth on that then i'll finally be happy. Hope this helps others with the same problem :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi,

I have the following setup. ATI HD 3650, DVB Viewer 3.9.4.0 and the Cyberlink Power DVD 8 codec. When i go to the codecs settings from DVB Viewer and i tick Under miscellaneous - use dxva is this dxva1 or dxva2? I keep hearing about dxva version 2 and wondered whether i should be seeing this. I only have the trial vesion of Power DVD 8 so wondered if this was the full codec?

Cheers
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AFAIK .NET 3+ add functions from the Windows Presentation Foundation, like the Vista Enhanced Renderer mode. The Cyberlink decoder doesn’t work correctly with the VER mode in XP because it assumes it has DXVA 2.0 support (which is Vista only).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nick{D}vB wrote: »
    AFAIK .NET 3+ add functions from the Windows Presentation Foundation, like the Vista Enhanced Renderer mode. The Cyberlink decoder doesn’t work correctly with the VER mode in XP because it assumes it has DXVA 2.0 support (which is Vista only).

Hi Nick,

Forgot to mention i'm running Vista Ultimate

Here is a screenshot of what i can see.

http://img211.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dxvadf2.jpg

I'm still struggling to get a smooth judder free picture when watching HD football

Guido
  • Options
    bellandbottlebellandbottle Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    Quick nitty-gritty, I've just been mailed to say that my PowerDVD trial is finishing - do I need to buy the package to keep hold of the key codecs?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have the option of 1080i at 50hz. Basically anything with fast motion is unwatchable which is a real shame. I can't think of anything else to try, i've changed everything i can think of. :confused:
    It's definitely an option. If you've taken the Catalyst software off, put it back on! It's under DTV, HDTV Support, and select 1080i25. You'll find that your Samsung will use a 50Hz refresh rate (press the info button on the remote).
    Here is a screenshot of what i can see.

http://img211.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dxvadf2.jpg

I'm still struggling to get a smooth judder free picture when watching HD football
    I haven't touched these settings - they are all as default.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's definitely an option. If you've taken the Catalyst software off, put it back on! It's under DTV, HDTV Support, and select 1080i25. You'll find that your Samsung will use a 50Hz refresh rate (press the info button on the remote).

I haven't touched these settings - they are all as default.

Hi Stig, Thanks for your advice. I'm afraid i've just tried that settings and its more jerky than me running at 1360 x 768 at 60HZ. I've tried using panel scaling and GPU scaling and none seem good. I think i'll have to accep that anything with fast motion i.e. football or motor racing when it goes HD is not going to be smooth. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I will just share with you what I have just been through with Cyberlink PowerDVD 8.

I downloaded the trial version sometime ago and, after a fair amount of trial and error with several codecs, I hit on the perfect combination to give HD TV reliably (using all the DVD 8 ones).

Yesterday I had a reminder that the trial was finishing, and purchased the Standard version with a new download, only to discover that the key H.264 Codec is missing. On checking the website, I now find out that the Standard offering does not have the required codec, and it only comes with deluxe and Ultra.

That says, of course, that the trial version is not the Standard version, though there is no indication of that.

To say that I am annoyed would be significantly understating the situation!

I have come to the conclusion that this codec world leaves a lot to be desired.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I will just share with you what I have just been through with Cyberlink PowerDVD 8.

I downloaded the trial version sometime ago and, after a fair amount of trial and error with several codecs, I hit on the perfect combination to give HD TV reliably (using all the DVD 8 ones).

Yesterday I had a reminder that the trial was finishing, and purchased the Standard version with a new download, only to discover that the key H.264 Codec is missing. On checking the website, I now find out that the Standard offering does not have the required codec, and it only comes with deluxe and Ultra.

That says, of course, that the trial version is not the Standard version, though there is no indication of that.

To say that I am annoyed would be significantly understating the situation!

I have come to the conclusion that this codec world leaves a lot to be desired.

Hi Bellandbottle,

I've just read your post. So are you saying that the trial version has the best codec which can only be found in the deluxe/ultra versions of powerdvd? Great so when mine runs out i'll need to pay for the most expensive version.

I think i'll try and persevere with my power cinema 5 cyberlink codec.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well....what I have done this afternoon, is to clean PowerDVD 8 out of my system and install another copy of the trial version.

That has restored the perfect working of my HD TV :).

I then moved to ebay and purchased the Ultra version for a fraction of what it would cost on the net - there are 3 left.

I am still very upset that I have paid out £23 for a piece of software which is not what I need/want.

As they say, you learn something every day ;).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did you get my PM B&B ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You are hot to trot :D.

I am just in the middle of replying now!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No worries B&B :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Snoods wrote: »
    Hi Ian

It's in Video & Television / Adjust Video Image Settings / (Look to the far right for "Use Inverse Telecine" tick box) :)

Cheers Snoods, I'll give it a go tonight.

Ian
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No problem Ian, good luck. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Hi Snoods,Thanks for your helpful pointers over the last few weeks!!
    I am trying to acheive the impossible I expect, I have 2.4 athlon with Cinergy USB S , using DVBVIEWER3.93. Mboard is AGP so dont have Acceleration on graphics card.

Is 3.93 late enough?
    Is there out there an AGP card with acceleration on board?.
    I am quite amazed because i can get BBCHD and ITVHD but frame rate too slow and 90% CPU!!
    OZZ