How much longer will MS support the 360

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
Forum Member
✭✭✭
After the release of MS's next console...How long will they support the current xbox 360 ?.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well support for the original XBox pretty much died on the 360's release as far as I remember.
  • ComedykevComedykev Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably about another 3 or so years after the new console is released.

Why close it down when they are making money from it with subs, XBLA, and adverts etc.
  • gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is strong rumours of a new design 360. I think Microsoft will support the 360 better then the last Xbox but I would think they would like most people to move over to the next gen as soon as possible. Depends on how long developers will be making 360 games also.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    It depends on a few things, b/c being a key component and possible integration of the servers. I don't see MS killing 360 anytime soon, XBLA is extremely popular and not everyone will jump to next gen immediately.
    willowfan wrote: »
    Well support for the original XBox pretty much died on the 360's release as far as I remember.

Not really comparable, not least because the industry has changed so much since that time. Digital distribution is huge now and having access to freely re-download your games should be a priority for MS. A lot the reason MS killed Xbox so suddenly was because Nvidia stopped manufacturing the GPU. That forced MS hand into a premature launch of the 360 and didn't help when it came to b/c on the machine. After all, if you're not manufacturing and selling consoles then no-ones going to make games for it.

If a new Xbox mini is indeed launched then I would think the 360 has a healthy lifespan ahead of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thinking for at least a couple of years yet the 360 has been a bigger success than the original Xbox so games will keep coming for a while yet.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd imagine XBLA will ensure the XB360 has plenty of support for years & years & years 2 come!!!! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They need to continue support for a decent period of time after the next gen release simply because there won't be a huge selection of games upon release. Furthermore, if we are to believe current rumors about the next gen box, $500 price mark? It'll be a while before all the teens can convince their parents to fork that out for the next gen call of duty.
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    Like 2D said, Nvidia forced Microsofts hand with the 1st Xbox.

Im sure the 360 will have a few good years left yet.
  • TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    willowfan wrote: »

I believe it was late 2006 in Europe and early 2007 in the USA.

The 360 was released in late 2005

I think the 360 will last longer this time.