Can my employer sack me with me having a sick note?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think curtains
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it were me I would go in and talk to them - if you're not even going to put on your CV if they do fire you then what is the harm - be really honest and apologetic and don't f*** up again.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wills**01 wrote: »
    I know this looks a complete disaster on my part. I know that Ive made a good impression in my first 3 weeks with them but that must be smashed to bits now...

I have a resignation letter written out now, do you think I should run round the Post Office and get it sent of Special Delivery 9AM? :(

Like i say depression is a horrible thing and maybe i should have been more open with my employer butreally didnt know what to say to my line manager when he asked "are you able to tell me whats wrong?"

He's a great guy but I think imight have tested his patience on this one.

Sorry to sound harsh, but sounds to me like you pulled a fast one and failed at it. You don't know if you have depression until a doctor diagnoses it, ringing the doc and saying you are depressed is not a diagnosis.

You have been incredibly unfair, and the above suggests you are STILL avoiding facing the music over this. Go in and face them instead of them sat there tomorrow waiting for you to turn up. The letter wont get there tomorrow now either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it were me I would go in and talk to them - if you're not even going to put on your CV if they do fire you then what is the harm - be really honest and apologetic and don't f*** up again.

But probably lost the confidence of my line manager? and others depending on what they know!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BlackOpal wrote: »
    The letter wont get there tomorrow now either.

It will if I use Special Delivery 9AM...

And my doctor accepts that I have "mild depression" as this has been put on my sick note, we also discussed whether i feel depressed back in the summer to which i replied that i felt down but wouldn't go as far as to say I was depressed.

Looking at whats happened and how I feel now I would say I am depressed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's more than your line manager, depending on your line of work you could find yourself blacklisted from other companies
  • fi~fi~ Posts: 5,481
    Forum Member
    wicksta wrote: »
    It's 'you're' not 'your' love. :rolleyes:

f$£k off :mad::mad::mad::mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But probably lost the confidence of my line manager? and others depending on what they know!

So? I think you owe it to them to at least turn up and explain. It's cowardly not to (IMO) and you may end up keeping your job
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice lol.

Then i need to resign before any hearing tomorrow then, cos if I turn up they could sack me. Although only been there since Jan 5th so I wouldn't even put it on the CV...

OR

I go there and state my case, and if they want rid of me I'll resign, is that pluasible?

Don't resign. You can be accused of willingly leaving a job and will have difficultly making a benefit claim.

Go in and face the music and get it over with. if they let you go, so be it. Move on and put it behind you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know it can be hard to face things when you're depressed, but going to the meeting tomorrow will get everything out in the open and whatever happens, you'll probably walk out feeling relieved and with things clearer in your head. You've taken a bit of criticism on here and i'm sure you're aware of things you wish you'd done differently...going to the meeting, apologising where necessary, and wrapping up this whole chapter in a professional manner might make the experience easier to look back at in the future and minimise any bad will from your employers.

If you're not planning to put the job on your CV maybe it doesn't matter if they let you go? (Although someone mentioned blacklisting...don't know if this goes on in your industry.)
  • wallo mr slugwallo mr slug Posts: 9,734
    Forum Member
    I haven't found anything else for definate but i dont feel fussed either way over this? Is that wierd?

Sounds to me that the way you've acted against their policies and the non chalant way you view the job, you deserve the sack
    harsh maybe, but why should a company keep you on if you can't even send in a note when you're ill, make an agreement that you later break and aren't even fussed about the job?

But what i wonder is, if you don't care about losing your job or not, why are you seeking advice about it? :S
  • SamoanJOESamoanJOE Posts: 3,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without wishing to sound heartless. I would not want to work with you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    During your probationary period you basically have to prove yourself as a worthy employee and give the company a reason to keep you on rather than not renewing the your contract and finding someone better.

You can not withhold your sick certificate from your employer it needs to be sent in on the day its issued so your employer is fully informed of your absence.

Regardless whether you resign or get sacked assuming you've handed in a P45 to this employer when you finish your employment with them they reissue your P45. On the bottom of the P45 will have the company details, so you can't hide the fact you ever worked there, so on the CV it goes or you won't be getting another job or when they find out you lied you'll be sacked for being deceitful.

If you choose to withhold information from your employer about any health related issues and they make an informed choice about whether you are worth employing and if you aren't you get chucked out. It costs companies more in sickness than to actually pay somebody so it isn't cost effective for a company to have somebody on long term sick.

You could always go in tomorrow with a wipe the slate clean impression and sell yourself as worthy for a job if you really want the job that is. At the end of the day the choice is yours whether you want the job or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamoanJOE wrote: »
    Without wishing to sound heartless. I would not want to work with you.

Why?

Im hard working and a grafter when things are well with me. You dont even know me. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bexy_1234 wrote: »
    During your probationary period you basically have to prove yourself as a worthy employee and give the company a reason to keep you on rather than not renewing the your contract and finding someone better.

You can not withhold your sick certificate from your employer it needs to be sent in on the day its issued so your employer is fully informed of your absence.

Regardless whether you resign or get sacked assuming you've handed in a P45 to this employer when you finish your employment with them they reissue your P45. On the bottom of the P45 will have the company details, so you can't hide the fact you ever worked there, so on the CV it goes or you won't be getting another job or when they find out you lied you'll be sacked for being deceitful.

If you choose to withhold information from your employer about any health related issues and they make an informed choice about whether you are worth employing and if you aren't you get chucked out. It costs companies more in sickness than to actually pay somebody so it isn't cost effective for a company to have somebody on long term sick.

You could always go in tomorrow with a wipe the slate clean impression and sell yourself as worthy for a job if you really want the job that is. At the end of the day the choice is yours whether you want the job or not.

Haven't given them my P45 yet, if I leave then it wont be handed in and will still have previous employers details on it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't given them my P45 yet, if I leave then it wont be handed in and will still have previous employers details on it.

Don't be surprised not to be paid then.

how old are you? This must be your first job?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't be surprised not to be paid then.

how old are you? This must be your first job?

Ive already had 1 pay packet...

Why is my age important?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are treading on very dodgy ground. Your previous employer will already of given you a reference for your current job and probably won't be inclined in giving a second one given you've been employed after them.

You are also withholding information from the tax office and you will taxed at 20% (BR - emergency tax) or probably not even paid at all if have gone off sick during a probationary period - depending on your companies sick policy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive already had 1 pay packet...

Why is my age important?

Because you sound very inexperienced of what is acceptable and non acceptable behaviour at work
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And one pay packet for 3 weeks work? Atm then you owe them for not working a full month! You haven't given them a sick note so no wonder they are fed up.

I am beginning to wonder if this is a wind up, surely no one is this unclued up
  • wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    I would resign citing illness and hope they understand. It will be better than being sacked.

However in future I would learn from this experience and always inform your employer of any problems as soon as it happens, they may be more understanding than you think, but to leave them in the lurch with no communication is just not on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Witholding what information exactly....?

Im not that young to be honest, look im sorry for whats happened, have any of you suffered from depression and tried to hold down a job?

It been very difficult for me, I just came on here for some advice not to get abused.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Witholding what information exactly....?

Im not that young to be honest, look im sorry for whats happened, have any of you suffered from depression and tried to hold down a job?

It been very difficult for me, I just came on here for some advice not to get abused.

But are you suffering depression? You have only talked to the doctor to get a sick note, and the best he could say was 'mild depression'

Everyone gets depressed, doesn't mean we have to ignore our duties to our employer!
  • SamoanJOESamoanJOE Posts: 3,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why?

Im hard working and a grafter when things are well with me. You dont even know me. :rolleyes:

Because I wouldnt want to have to worry if I was going to have to work twice as hard becuase you don't turn up.

It simple, people just want people who are going to turn up, if you have only been there a month and then took 2 weeks off and didnt tell anyone, i would just want you gone.

I worked with a guy in the past and when the job got tough we were working on you could guarante he wouldnt turn up and put even more pressure on the rest of us.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But are you suffering depression? You have only talked to the doctor to get a sick note, and the best he could say was 'mild depression'

Everyone gets depressed, doesn't mean we have to ignore our duties to our employer!

Wrong.

Ive been seeing my doctor regualrly since the summer, talking through my issues about anxiety and feeling down etc.

This has not just appeared out of nowhere, but has come to a head in the last couple of weeks causing me to go off sick from work. I do however accept the way I have handled this situation hasn't been great and i'll need to learn from this whatever happens tomorrow.

And to add, there hasn't been NO contact with my employer there has been limited contact with my line manager and I did say I would tell him what the problem was when I returned to work, but things have got out of hand now anyway, maybe my fault but can only go forward now. :(