The Last of Us Demo: 6PM Today

Comments

• ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    What's the difference between a + game and a normal game? I'm probably being dense asking that, but I'd like to know for sure before I start a replay. Also, when you start a new game do you keep all your stats, weapons, upgrades and collectables?

You keep your stats, collectibles, weapon upgrades and crafting levels, but you can only play again on the same difficulty which is a shame IMO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the difference between a + game and a normal game? I'm probably being dense asking that, but I'd like to know for sure before I start a replay. Also, when you start a new game do you keep all your stats, weapons, upgrades and collectables?

New game = starting the game new
    New game += Starting from the game again and carrying over anything you collected did in the original playthrough
  • darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member
    Only just had some time to boot it up, so far after a couple of hours play - I love it!:D

Naughty Dog never let me down.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats great till a bloke comes up to you and bites you neck and you have nothing to defend against it and your buggered. Start the section all over again. Great design.

Without being rude, that's going to happen if you're not playing it right. You can't stay in one place forever in this game and expect for the clickers not to get you eventually. They put the quick turn control in for a reason. You need to keep moving at all times.

Plus, one of your first pill upgrades should be Shiv Master - straight after the first health upgrade, I'd say.
  • Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never bothered with Shiv Master myself, too pricey for something I didn't deem essential.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    Without being rude, that's going to happen if you're not playing it right. You can't stay in one place forever in this game and expect for the clickers not to get you eventually. They put the quick turn control in for a reason. You need to keep moving at all times.

Plus, one of your first pill upgrades should be Shiv Master - straight after the first health upgrade, I'd say.

No offence taken at all because its totally just with what you've said. What is the quick turn control? Is that the thing that pops up in the bottom left telling me to tilt my pad or something? :confused:
    Forum Member
    No offence taken at all because its totally just with what you've said. What is the quick turn control? Is that the thing that pops up in the bottom left telling me to tilt my pad or something? :confused:

The tilting notification is to fix the torch when it starts flickering. :p

I believe the quick turn is press down + X. You get taught it right at the start when you're by the gates. The city gets attacked and you have to run inside. I mostly found it useful when bloaters or clickers get too close.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Yeah it's for a quick on the spot u-turn. As said, the shaking of the pad is to fix the torch.
    I found myself dying the most when clearing the lower floor (not the floor that Ellie's on) of the hospital near the end.
    Any chance we'll get an expansion pack to, say, fill in some of the journey skipped over? I'd love to play more of this game - given it ended far quicker than I'd have liked it to and I don't expect a sequel.
    Forum Member
    SomeRandom wrote: »
    Any chance we'll get an expansion pack to, say, fill in some of the journey skipped over? I'd love to play more of this game - given it ended far quicker than I'd have liked it to and I don't expect a sequel.

I'd like that to be the content of the DLC, but I don't think Naughty Dog want to revisit the stories of Joel and Ellie judging from this (Link may contain spoilers):

http://www.gamesradar.com/last-us-ripe-more-stories-joel-and-ellies-over/

But then the wording is unclear, they could just mean they don't want to take the story any further with regards to the ending. Personally, I'd like to see stuff like:
    - What happens after Sarah's death
    - How Joel and Tommy split
    - How Joel meets Tess and gets into the smuggling business
    - Perhaps gameplay from Tommy's perspective, telling his
    story
    - Maybe something to do with Bill? He seemed like a cool, wacky character with a backstory
    - Playing as David and going around catching/eating people (Just kidding! :p)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the link.
    Yeah, to fill in the gaps of the current story doesn't contradict how the story ends or that that is the ending. I hope that's all they're stating, as I'd be disappointed if the new content revolves around a minor character when so much of Joel/Ellie's journey gets left unsaid. It doesn't even need to be the meaningful cinematic-packed stories, just more of the journeying across the country and the challenges (and dialogue) that'd come with it.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    The tilting notification is to fix the torch when it starts flickering. :p

I believe the quick turn is press down + X. You get taught it right at the start when you're by the gates. The city gets attacked and you have to run inside. I mostly found it useful when bloaters or clickers get too close.

Yeah anybody who's played Resident Evil games since Resi Evil 3 will be familiar with the quick turn :D I believe its the same 'down + X' in Resi 4 & 5, probably the same in earlier games too, as far as I can remember.

Just thought I'd throw that in. lol
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    OMTT wrote: »
    I keep dying at the bit where
    there's a sniper shooting at you
    so turned it off in frustration! No doubt I'll get by it first time when I try later.

It feels like I've played for ages but I'm still only 58% of the way through

Well, as predicted, I got by this section no problem at first attempt when I played again last night :) Then I reached a genuinely unexpected bit (it's probably been covered in the previous spoilers)
    Henry's death
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was your biggest tactical mistake playing this game?

Mine was to not upgrade the holster to carry 2 long and short guns at the earliest possible moment. Not being able to quickly swap weapons cost me dearly a good few times.
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a few hours in now, so I can give a few early impressions. I'm already loving it, I expected it to be a grower but I was hooked after the first hour. I'm liking the combat alot, it's just brutal, I mean Joel just stamped on a guys head! And the choking animation is so long it's almost uncomfortable to watch, it's definitely a different feel to Uncharted, you feel like you are killing real people instead of faceless targets in a shooting gallery. Can't say much about the story so far, other than the acting is really impressive, so already a big thumbs up from me!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Started my second playthrough on survivor (decided to skip over a hard playthrough) and everything about this game is just incredible even during a second playthrough

I've only played the prologue and first chapter so far, but its so much more tense on survivor as you don't get the R2 hearing ability, so you have to figure out where all the enemies are through sight alone, if makes the stealth so much more satisfying
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    Started my second playthrough on survivor (decided to skip over a hard playthrough) and everything about this game is just incredible even during a second playthrough

I've only played the prologue and first chapter so far, but its so much more tense on survivor as you don't get the R2 hearing ability, so you have to figure out where all the enemies are through sight alone, if makes the stealth so much more satisfying

Do you get to keep everything from the first play through?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Do you get to keep everything from the first play through?

No because my first playthrough was on normal this one is on survivor, to keep your stuff you need to play a + game, for example normal and then normal +

I've ran into a bit of a problem now on survivor, i'm moving around quietly enough that the clickers can't hear me, but the runners can :confused:, i thought the whole point in the clickers was they had the best hearing

its starting to get annoying that i'm sneaking up behind a runner and for some reason they know i'm thee

not sure if this is yet another bit of glitchy gameplay or its intentional, because if its intentional they are kind of breaking the rule set up within their own game
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Started second playthrough today, using the official guide book to locate every collectable. It might take a while because my map reading skills are shocking, and following the guide book involves a certain amount of map reading, of a kind :D

Always a pleasure to play a great game twice tho, no matter how long it takes.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I finished this earlier tonight.

Absolute gaming masterpiece.
  • General LunacyGeneral Lunacy Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to make some time for this game, and soon.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    No because my first playthrough was on normal this one is on survivor, to keep your stuff you need to play a + game, for example normal and then normal +

I've ran into a bit of a problem now on survivor, i'm moving around quietly enough that the clickers can't hear me, but the runners can :confused:, i thought the whole point in the clickers was they had the best hearing

its starting to get annoying that i'm sneaking up behind a runner and for some reason they know i'm thee

not sure if this is yet another bit of glitchy gameplay or its intentional, because if its intentional they are kind of breaking the rule set up within their own game

I am having this same issue, no matter what I do the runners all turn round and ammo is so rare so don't want to use it on just runners.

It's making survivor unplayable for me...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    I am having this same issue, no matter what I do the runners all turn round and ammo is so rare so don't want to use it on just runners.

It's making survivor unplayable for me...

I've sort of figured it out, the area i kept failing, i think i was killing them in an order where a distant runner would see me and that would alert everyone

Once i figured it out i got through, i'd suggest you just keep trying

I know i'm making this claim less than a week after it came out but this game is the single greatest Survival Horror experience i have ever played on survivor mode, having to press the left analogue stick so slightly as you move through a room for 3+ minutes trying not to make a sound as you have three bullets and there is 10 enemies, it is just so atmospheric

Don't get me wrong i've been a fan of every numbered resident evil exact 5, but this feels better than any of them
  • NedubizNedubiz Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am about half way through now (48%) and it is absolutely brilliant. I have really got my head around the combat now and how to approach the fights. Each one feels really brutal (there are some nasty animations in there!) and the advantage can tip either for or against you really quickly.

I really enjoyed working through city hall and the hotel (the bit from last years E3) - really tense.

The story is progressing well and the characters and their relationship is moving along nicely.

Hard isn't too too bad when you get your tactics right.
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    Getting near the end now & it's all building up nicely, very dramatic!
    Ellie just got kidnapped & I've saved just when you take control of Joel when he wakes up

The parts I've just played felt very CoD Zombies & Red Dead Redemption :)
  • tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reached a point where hard difficulty has suddenly got HARD
    Where you've been separated from Ellie in the apartments, switched on a generator and all hell's broken loose