Options

Receptionist who put the call through

Comments

• Options
    16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but she was stupid for just giving out personal details over the damn phone. It should have been obvious to her that it wasn't the bloody Queen. How gullible can you be? This could have been avoided had she not been so foolish.
  • Options
    welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    16caerhos wrote: »
    Sorry, but she stupid for giving out personal details over the damn phone. It should have been obvious to her that it wasn't the bloody Queen. How gullible can you be? This could have been avoided had she not been so foolish.

What planet are you on.
  • Options
    Angelica1973Angelica1973 Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    Sorry, but she was stupid for just giving out personal details over the damn phone. It should have been obvious to her that it wasn't the bloody Queen. How gullible can you be? This could have been avoided had she not been so foolish.

She didn't give out any information, she, in the absence of a receptionist, transferred a call to another nurse, who did.
  • Options
    16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She didn't give out any information, she, in the absence of a receptionist, transferred a call to another nurse, who did.

Fair enough.
  • Options
    BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To potentially lose her job, and just before Christmas, may have been the last straw for her. :(

The hospital claim they were taking no action, and the Royals say no complaint was made. Unless the hospital were holding an investigation before taking any action, she wouldn't have lost her job.
    I was fired from working at a computer games shop for making a mistake at work. Oh well. I got over that. I'm now a solicitor. If I got something horribly wrong in my job and people knew about it and I worried my professional career was compromised, I can see how I might get suicidal. I hope I wouldn't, but I can see how it might happen.

I hear what you are saying, you could well be proven right. I guess I'm struggling to see how someone acting as a receptionist could take putting a call through when they shouldn't being anything more than a mistake. Then again people who kill themselves can't be thinking clearly.

But I've had my say, clearly the tragedy is a loss of life and the loss to the family she leaves behind. The blame, if there is any, can be apportioned later.
  • Options
    Cal Me ALCal Me AL Posts: 1,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

deleted
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member

For starters people on here are wrong. What the two Aussie scumbags did IS potentially 'blagging' and doing it to obtain medical information is an offence now in the UK and the two Aussie tossers should be extradited and prosecuted (to stop others doing it in the future). The fact they were doing it as a joke makes no difference under the law.

Regarding the nurse, None of us know what protocols were in place or what real calls had come through from the royals previously.

The fault was not so much with the nurse but the security staff for the Royals and the hospital management that should have told staff to transfer any calls regarding Kate to a member of Royal security who would have been on site.
  • Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Batch wrote: »
    The report(s) I read said the dead nurse merely put the call through, not actually divulged the information, and was not being disciplined.

As I understood it (from Sky News), there was a receptionist that put the initial call through to the ward, but it was the Nurse who then answered and divulged information on the Duchess that is then believed to have taken her life. I'll have to look at later reports, seems there 's conflicting accounts here.

As some commentators have noted, no matter how ridiculous it may seem to have taken the prank call seriously, it would have been a very brave person on the other end to have questioned it's authenticity, given that such a call might well have been anticipated. It got past reception first.
  • Options
    DODS11DODS11 Posts: 2,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welshfoxy wrote: »
    What planet are you on.

Planet Yesterday, where people were saying the exact same thing before she had been found dead.

It's a terrible shame, especially for the family she leaves behind.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,016
    Forum Member
    The radio stations website has erased all boasting relating to the 'prank'.

The Twitter accounts for both DJ's have been pulled.

Having read the male dj's tweets he didn't give a stuff about anyone else apart from his ego.
  • Options
    BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asmo wrote: »
    As I understand it, there was a receptionist that put the initial call through to the ward, but it was the Nurse who then answered and divulged information on the Duchess that is then believed to have taken her life.

If that is true then it puts a bit different complexion on things.

The BBC wrote
    BBC royal correspondent Peter Hunt said he understood Mrs Saldanha - who was married with two children - was the person who answered the call from the Australian DJs and was not the nurse who discussed the duchess's medical condition.
  • Options
    SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm trying to imagine what it must have felt like to be on the receiving end of world wide public humiliation, such as this nurse had to endure.
  • Options
    roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    The radio stations website has erased all boasting relating to the 'prank'.

The Twitter accounts for both DJ's have been pulled.

Having read the male dj's tweets he didn't give a stuff about anyone else apart from his ego.

On the bbc news, they reported the lawyers for the radio station gave the ok for the prank to go ahead

so for this to happen the director off the radi station mus t have given the ok aswell
  • Options
    louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope these antipodean idiots are pleased with themselves. They have to live with their consciences - if they have one - and the consequences of their actions ought to ensure that they experience eternal guilt. At the very least, they should lose their jobs, and never work in an environment where they could do this again. Australia have always wanted to be separate from the commonwealth and have never held our monarch in high reverence, or with any regard for her position as head of that commonwealth. This act goes to endorse that they don't care about our royal family. Our Queen may be Queen of the commonwealth, but Australia should not be under her rule. They do not deserve or appreciate the hard work she does internationally. And I am a republican who can still admire the advantages of having a royal family, whilst I may not agree with it. Cut all links with Australia now; if they did have any respect for our country and our royal family, those two djs would not have executed what is being described as - it has emanated into so much more - a 'prank call'. That's the Australians for you.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As soon as I heard about the prank call the first thing that crossed my mind was sympathy for the receptionist/nurses involved.

The UK is going through a terrible recession at the moment and for all anyone knows that poor woman may have been a busy wife and mother, the sole bread winner in her family trying to hold it all together. To potentially lose her job, and just before Christmas, may have been the last straw for her. :(

I thought it was a nasty prank from the outset and said so. Despite the fact you had two idiots pretending to be Royals and the call concerned Kate, the sole victim of the prank was the poor girl on the end of the phone, not the Royal family.
  • Options
    hickenhicken Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I understood it (from Sky News), there was a receptionist that put the initial call through to the ward, but it was the Nurse who then answered and divulged information on the Duchess that is then believed to have taken her life. I'll have to look at later reports, seems there 's conflicting accounts here.

As some commentators have noted, no matter how ridiculous it may seem to have taken the prank call seriously, it would have been a very brave person on the other end to have questioned it's authenticity, given that such a call might well have been anticipated. It got past reception first.

The Standard says that the nurse who killed herself was the first voice on the tape - she was helping out on reception.
  • Options
    milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The other thing that the DJ's did not consider is it was the nightshift for her. They did not consider that they were putting jobs at risk. And she has most likely had worse things said to her about it, which may have driven her over the edge.
  • Options
    barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    To make someone sound an idiot and feel useless via a prank call live on air is no form of entertainment, 2DayFM is already under a probation licence as it is, and the two DJs involved their careers will be tainted or perhaps finished.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hicken wrote: »
    The Standard says that the nurse who killed herself was the first voice on the tape - she was helping out on reception.

Does anyone have an e-mail address for the radio station. I don't know why but i feel really strongly about this:mad:
  • Options
    FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member
    I'm trying to imagine what it must have felt like to be on the receiving end of world wide public humiliation, such as this nurse had to endure.

I can only imagine what kind of ridicule she had to listen to. Poor woman. Hopefully this will teach a very hard, good lesson about pranks.

The male caller seems to be a total jerk.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    Seems like the woman was already depressed and being made to look a fool in front of the entire nation doesn't particularly help when you're in that frame of mind. These pranks aren't even humorous to begin with and just take advantage of people. The whole situation is just pitiful and pathetic. Really sad.
  • Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Get a grip. Charged with what? Doing the worst impersonations in living memory of the royals? Because in the scheme of things, that was their biggest crime.

If it makes you happy, I'm sure both the DJs concerned will be devastated at this news and will have to live with that. I think that's sufficient punishment for something they in their wildest 'irresponsible' nightmares could never have anticipated.

But "their biggest crime" has caused a Mother to take her own life leaving a husband and children. of course they did not know this would happen, but they were a couple of stupid individuals who at the time thought they were very clever.Now they have to face the consequences of their arrogant stupidity.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There was no receptionist it was 5.30... the person who initially answered the call was Jacintha Saldanha who was a nurse... she passed the call onto the nurse in charge of the Duchess... I think the press talking about receptionists is what is so confusing.

I completely agree with the bib... that coupled with the early hour... no management figures are around at 5.30.
  • Options
    hickenhicken Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raiven14 wrote: »
    Seems like the woman was already depressed and being made to look a fool in front of the entire nation doesn't particularly help when you're in that frame of mind. These pranks aren't even humorous to begin with and just take advantage of people. The whole situation is just pitiful and pathetic. Really sad.

The nation and beyond. And it sounded on the tape as if she was foreign, so perhaps she has family elsewhere who are very proud of her career and would be humiliated by this too? Pathetic's the word for this stunt.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor, poor woman. I feel so sorry for her. She must have felt the world was laughing at her. How very sad she saw this as her only way out. My thoughts go to her children.